Paris-Nice Stage 4 *spoiler thread*

2»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good work Gary. Very well laid out site too. I see you have the Kiri crash too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Gesink looked good for a second. Hopefully a sign he has good legs for tomorrow.

Question is, what happened to Quintana?

The view from Daniel Friebe is that Quintana struggles when the pace is fast and hectic
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    RonB wrote:
    Talansky retains the overall.

Top 5 results for the stage:
    1. Michael Albasini (Switzerland, OGE)
    2. Maxim Iglinskiy (Kazakhstan, AST)
    3. Peter Velits (Slovakia, OPQ)
    4. Enrico Gasparotto (Italy, AST)
    5. Robert Gesink (Netherlands, BLA)

Except for some reason, they confused the lanky, black and blue Dutch guy for the swarthy
    Italian in pink and day glow green:

1 Michael Albasini (Swi) Orica GreenEdge 4:55:41
    2 Maxim Iglinskiy (Kaz) Astana Pro Team
    3 Peter Velits (Svk) Omega Pharma-Quick-Step Cycling Team
    4 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Astana Pro Team
    5 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida

Yes, that Lampre kit is difficult to spot in a crowd. :roll: :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Oh easy mistake I guess :D
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Great finish from Albasini, haven't seen a sprint won by that kind of margin for a while.
  • I enjoyed watching Voeckler working hard today. Seemed to be churning a fairly big gear over the hills.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Perhaps the churning helps bring on the gurning :wink:
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    Just watched it this morning whilst on the turbo. Porte was noticeably without any team mates from the second last climb until the end which was a bit surprising. Saw Kiriyenka stop and give Lopez a wheel so I wonder whether Lopez was with Porte before that.
  • Richmond Racer
    ClaudeH wrote:
    Just watched it this morning whilst on the turbo. Porte was noticeably without any team mates from the second last climb until the end which was a bit surprising. Saw Kiriyenka stop and give Lopez a wheel so I wonder whether Lopez was with Porte before that.

According to the team's own report, both Kiriyenka and Lopez were with Porte until that Lopez punctured and that wheel change.
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH wrote:

According to the team's own report, both Kiriyenka and Lopez were with Porte until that Lopez punctured and that wheel change.

In that case seems quite odd that instead of Kiriyenka staying with Porte he effectively sacrificed his own support for Porte for the chance of allowing Lopez to chase back to Porte which didn't happen.
  • Richmond Racer
    ClaudeH wrote:
    ClaudeH wrote:

In that case seems quite odd that instead of Kiriyenka staying with Porte he effectively sacrificed his own support for Porte for the chance of allowing Lopez to chase back to Porte which didn't happen.

Lopez was lying 9th, just two places behind Porte on GC until yday. It wasnt as if Lopez was lying 100th with no chance at all. Lopez tried to get back on but couldnt make it.
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH wrote:
    ClaudeH wrote:

Lopez was lying 9th, just two places behind Porte on GC until yday. It wasnt as if Lopez was lying 100th with no chance at all. Lopez tried to get back on but couldnt make it.

True. I didn't really think about Lopez's own GC positiion.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited March 2013
    ClaudeH wrote:

Also Lopez looked super-good shepherding Porte (& Talansky :wink: ) to the finish ahead of the marauding hordes on stage 3. He's got legs.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    RonB wrote:
    Head on shot of the finish always foreshortens those margins. It looked a lot closer than that to start with!
    Why do they always do that? It's terrible broadcasting when they have the much better helicopter shot that they show in the replay and should use for the live pictures. Very frustrating for the viewer.

Also, what happened to the Eurosport commentary at the end? Does that happen a lot?
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    ClaudeH wrote:

Also Lopez looked super-good shepherding Porte (& Talansky :wink: ) to the finish ahead of the marauding hordes on stage 3. He's got legs.

Agreed. Sky have made a good hire with Lopez.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    jane90 wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Head on shot of the finish always foreshortens those margins. It looked a lot closer than that to start with!
    Why do they always do that? It's terrible broadcasting when they have the much better helicopter shot that they show in the replay and should use for the live pictures. Very frustrating for the viewer.

Also, what happened to the Eurosport commentary at the end? Does that happen a lot?

There was a power cut or something so the actual commentary team went out of action. I don't know what happened live but on the highlights Magnus and Rob Hatch finished the commentary off (they are currently covering T-A).
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    jane90 wrote:
    RonB wrote:

There was a power cut or something so the actual commentary team went out of action. I don't know what happened live but on the highlights Magnus and Rob Hatch finished the commentary off (they are currently covering T-A).

Live, we had the French commentary avec Jacky Durand
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Bet he pronounced the French version of AG2R better than Hatch does. Seriously, why does he even bother doing the whole 'aye jhay deux air' thing?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Pross wrote:
    Bet he pronounced the French version of AG2R better than Hatch does. Seriously, why does he even bother doing the whole 'aye jhay deux air' thing?

Agreed, Rob hatch sounds proper Smashy and Nicey
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017