Comments

• lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Flasher wrote:
    Lol.........

iPhone 5 from £529 sim free +£5 app = £534
    Garmin 800 £237

So the Garmin looks a bargain to me :)
    You are rather neglecting the fact that most people who would be prepared to be price gouged to the extent of £237 for a bike satnav already have a smartphone and so the incremental cost is the grand sum of £0.
    iPete wrote:
    Don't forget £36 for the ANT+ adapter ;)
    Use a bluetooth cadence sensor/HRM and then you don't have to buy the dongle.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    lotus49 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    Lol.........

iPhone 5 from £529 sim free +£5 app = £534
    Garmin 800 £237

So the Garmin looks a bargain to me :)
    You are rather neglecting the fact that most people who would be prepared to be price gouged to the extent of £237 for a bike satnav already have a smartphone and so the incremental cost is the grand sum of £0.

Sorry I didn't realise that it was a "fact" that most people have smart phones!

I know lots of people including my wife who don't own a smart phone, texting, phone calls and battery life are the most important things.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the maps are not stored on the phone they are downloaded using your data allowance, fine if you have unlimited in the UK, but if you've used data worldwide you know how much it costs e.g. £8 per mb in the USA. that'll last you about 5 mins, so an hours ride will cost about £96, hmmm...........
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Flasher give it up mate, you are trying to use logic and common sense on the BR forum where ignorance and blind stupidity rule supreme, best to let him carry on with his deluded and flawed reasoning, the only person he is kidding is himself
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Garmin Edge 800 - £236.99 (bike) (Handtec)
    Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT - £215.99 (car) (Handtec)
    iPhone - £529 (other brands of "smart" phone are available)

The Edge looks reasonable value to me.
  • Plenty of Samsung and HTC phones around the £130-160 mark that will do the job. Sold my old HTC for £70 recently. Would more than do the job.

Anyway, less of this common sense approach as I can't decide what to buy either!
  • lotus49
    Flasher wrote:
    Sorry I didn't realise that it was a "fact" that most people have smart phones!
    If you read what I wrote a little more carefully you will see that that is not what I wrote.
  • lotus49
    NewTTer wrote:
    Flasher give it up mate, you are trying to use logic and common sense on the BR forum where ignorance and blind stupidity rule supreme, best to let him carry on with his deluded and flawed reasoning, the only person he is kidding is himself
    I see you are keeping to your normal standards of politeness on this forum.

I have presented reasoned arguments supported by numbers as to why I think that bike satnavs are over-priced. Quite how that represents "ignorance and blind stupidity" is far from clear.
  • How many people would pay £200-300 on a sat-nav and not have a smartphone? It's not what you said, but it's still a reasonable assumption for the majority of users surely?

It's easier to persuade yourself to fork out £250 on a sat nav if you're already forking out £45 for an iPhone5 (plus £100 up front). It must feel like a bargain!
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    lotus49 wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    I see you are keeping to your normal standards of politeness on this forum.

I have presented reasoned arguments supported by numbers as to why I think that bike satnavs are over-priced. Quite how that represents "ignorance and blind stupidity" is far from clear.

Because that is what you are displaying
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    lotus49 wrote:
    I have presented reasoned arguments supported by numbers as to why I think that bike satnavs are over-priced.
    If you worked in manufacturing you would realise how wrong your numbers probably are. You are forgetting many hidden costs for a start.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    wongataa wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    I have presented reasoned arguments supported by numbers as to why I think that bike satnavs are over-priced.
    If you worked in manufacturing you would realise how wrong your numbers probably are. You are forgetting many hidden costs for a start.

Besides which, manufacturing costs have very little to do with price, unless it is for products where margins are very low.

Price is decided by comparing higher demand at low profit per unit to lower demand at high profit per unit.

WE set the price by continuing to buy at a level which is profitable despite the premium we are paying.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    2011 figures for Garmin show that they had revenue of $298m with an income of $102m on their fitness products.
    Other market segments show the following:

Automotive: Rev $1591m Inc $161
    Outdoor: Rev $363m Inc $162m
    Aviation: Rev $285m Inc $72m
    Marine: Rev $222m Inc $57m
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't have a smart phone, picked up a Edge 500 for £100 a couple of years back when they were on offer. I have used it to navigate the length of the country so I think it worked out ok value for me.