Great Manchester Cycle 2013

Der Kaiser
Der Kaiser Posts: 172
I am surprised at the lack of chatter in this event. I rode the 26 mile event last year and personally it was well organised.

At only £20 it's good value for a closed roads event.

I plumped for 52 miles this year. No Ballot just first come first served booking process with distances to suit all types of riders.

http://www.greatcycle.org/

Comments

• You are right it is good value for closed roads at £20 BUT with the longest distance being 52 miles and that is 4 laps of a 13 mile circuit by the sounds of it, it hardly caters for ALL levels of cyclists.

Can imagine that 7000 people on a 13 mile loop will be pretty congested and with it aimed at families etc, not really the kind of ride you want 'pseudo' racers whizzing around on.
  • Der Kaiser
    Fair points chipperleenie however . . .

The 7000 is split over three time slot with the 52 milers going first, The 26 milers going about 2 hours later and the 13 milers 2 hours or so after that.

So you don't get Pseudo racer with kids on BMXs and mums on mountain bikes on the road at the same time.

Agree that last year it wasn't a very challenging course but as an entry level for most it is probably the best. The 52 mile is a challenge because of the distance rather than the difficulty.
  • psplat
    psplat Posts: 9
    I did the 52 miler last year with my 15 cough 16 year old. The closed roads are nice and the only problem was a bit of a bottle neck over the pedestrian bridge somewhere in Trafford Park.

It was different to the normal sportive as there were bikes everywhere, but not in a pack ( unless you were in the leading group which looked very peleton-esque). The leaders came past us just as we were starting the last lap, as Son had demanded a stop.

If I go this year it will be to beat the 18mph average ( so I may have to leave him at home ).
  • Der Kaiser
    That bit across the bridge into Salford Media City wasn't great. Particularly as a number of people without bikes decided they wanted to walk along it.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I have double booked myself - have got a 52 entry spare if anyone wants it, pm if wanted
  • mikelskas
    mikelskas Posts: 57
    Looks like they have taken the pinch points out of this years ride.
    2011 Jamis Ventura Race
    2016 BMC TeamMachine SLR02
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    That bridge and paved area last year was a nightmare not to mention the bollards , slows down your average and if it rains would be a massive health risk , going to miss it and am not happy ,but riding with a massive hangover after chester races is not a good idea !!!

I would recommend it though and it is a very fast pace if you get in the middle of the peleton as its flat .

cheers

Ian
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    Just signed up for the 52. Not done any riding apart from the turbo this year due to bad knees so gonna have to do some training quick! I noticed there was a disclaimer to agree that you could complete the 52 miles in 3.5 hours, I assume that is when they will be opening the roads to the public again???
  • Der Kaiser
    heathy_76 wrote:
    Just signed up for the 52. Not done any riding apart from the turbo this year due to bad knees so gonna have to do some training quick! I noticed there was a disclaimer to agree that you could complete the 52 miles in 3.5 hours, I assume that is when they will be opening the roads to the public again???

The 26 mile race starts afterwards. I think you need to be into your 4th lap before the broom wagon sweeps you up
  • heathy_76
    Thanks for the info. Just getting a bit panicky because I haven't done any serious riding this year yet!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    If it's the same as last year they'll stop you doing your fourth lap if you haven't finished the third by around 1130. I was a bit worried that was going to happen to me, but it's a fast, flat course, and I'd done the whole thing by 1105. And I'm a girl. So if I can do it, then you can :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • heathy_76
    Now you're just adding more pressure! :lol:

I'm sure I'll be ok with a bit more training. Started in earnest last night with a steady 30 miler to Mow Cop and back.
  • I've just signed up to do this. I've not ridden this distance before but my usual routes are a lot more hilly so I hope I will be OK. It was the idea of riding on closed roads that really appealed to me.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I've heard there are less than 100 places left for the 52 and they expect entries to close within the next few days so anyone thinking of doing this better sign up now.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    52 mile one gone now.
  • I am signed up for this 26 miler as a warm up for. The night rider London to Brighton, having never done any organised riding, it's a chance to see how it all works etc, this course is flattish and should be a lively dash! Should be a good amount of bodies on it as the 52 sold out this morning
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,241
    Following the purchase of a roadie a few months ago I've entered the 26 (on the basis that the 52 had sold out) today.

I've got a trip to venice between now and the event so really need to get the miles in starting tomorrow morning I think.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I don't suppose anyone has a course profile for the route do they? I'm a bit nervous as I've never ridden 52 miles before and I'm not too sure how flat their description of flat really is.
  • philw80
    philw80 Posts: 436
    I don't suppose anyone has a course profile for the route do they? I'm a bit nervous as I've never ridden 52 miles before and I'm not too sure how flat their description of flat really is.

It's pancake flat apart from a slight rise on mancunian way mate
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    philw80 wrote:
    I don't suppose anyone has a course profile for the route do they? I'm a bit nervous as I've never ridden 52 miles before and I'm not too sure how flat their description of flat really is.

+1. If your normal routes are a bit hilly then this will be a doddle. The only slight problem I had last year was resisting the temptation to go off quick because it really is so flat. The rise on the Mancunian way near UMIST is the only time I think I got out of the saddle.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    msmancunia wrote:
    philw80 wrote:

+1. If your normal routes are a bit hilly then this will be a doddle. The only slight problem I had last year was resisting the temptation to go off quick because it really is so flat. The rise on the Mancunian way near UMIST is the only time I think I got out of the saddle.
    The only hill I can remember from last year was the foot bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal. Seriously it is a very quick course and this year it look as though it is going to be much quicker as they have removed the main pinch point.

I suspect that you will finish this event with an impressive PB!
  • I'm really looking forward to this now. I saw a route profile on the official website yesterday and it ranges from about 20 to 65m so I'm not worried so much now.

I've still not received my numbers or anything yet though.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    msmancunia wrote:
    If it's the same as last year they'll stop you doing your fourth lap if you haven't finished the third by around 1130. I was a bit worried that was going to happen to me, but it's a fast, flat course, and I'd done the whole thing by 1105. And I'm a girl. So if I can do it, then you can :)

Strange you used the word "flat" I saw a profile and it was nothing compared to flat. This is my first cycling event and I am very nervous. Been training for the past two months increasing the distance each weekend. Signed up for the 26 miles.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • whitestar1
    I've just signed up to do this. I've not ridden this distance before but my usual routes are a lot more hilly so I hope I will be OK. It was the idea of riding on closed roads that really appealed to me.

I do my long rides very early on a Sunday morning. It's lonely by there is very few cars on the roads. Started of with 24 miles and last week did 47 miles in 3:11 hours. Hoping that tomorrow I will break the 50 mile barrier at 3:30 minimum. Leaving out at 5:45am.

This Manchester event is the first for me on closed roads and with people. I will be very nervous riding in a peloton.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    msmancunia wrote:
    philw80 wrote:

Interesting. It seems the profile I saw might be the wrong event. Anyone got one? Notice someone mentioned that there was one on the website - where please?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    The Participant's Information booklet has one on there.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I might not be able to make it now! Thinking of letting my entry go - rather than deny someone else a ride with an empty place :(
  • whitestar1
    I have had an email saying that my jersey was posted on the 2nd of June by second class mail! How bad is that? I haven't gotten it yet. Just rubbish Royal Mail
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1

Thanks
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 wrote:

Thanks

I can't believe you call this flat!!!!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011