100th Tour De France - Your chance to ride in Paris

cyclingfury
cyclingfury Posts: 676
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Hi Everyone,

Check out the link below. The Tour De France are organising a ride around Paris for 10,000 fans on Sunday July 21st to celebrate the 100th edition of the race. It called the "Tour Gran Fondo."

I rode in a similar event back in 2003 to celebrate 100 years since the first race, and it was excellent fun. I rode alongside people from all over the world and we were led out by a TDF official race car. If you've never ridden along the Champs Élysées it really is an unforgettable experience.

It appears they're only charging five Euros for the privilege, and for that you'll receive a souvenir yellow jersey which everyone wears on the day itself. Imagine riding in a massive peleton of 10,000, all wearing yellow jerseys and you'll get the idea.

See you there!

Graham.

http://Www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/an ... 100th.html Then click on "The Ride"

Note: They are not taking entries yet, you'll need to keep an eye on the site.

Comments

• Excellent! I was hoping they would do something like this. Didn't ride in the one in 2003 for one reason or another, defo going to be there this time! Where do I enter?

:D
  • No entry details at that link, at least none that I can see - anyone got a link to sign up?
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • cyclingfury
    They don't take entries until nearer the time. You'll need to keep an eye on the site for the relative announcement. I can't remember exactly when they started taking entries in 2003, but it I saw it quite late and there were still plenty of places left.
    edited March 2013
    it's the 93rd Tour De France according to ASO's website..can only find 93 years..can't have it both ways ASO. If's it's the 100th then you recognised 7 years of the race and you know who that is :D ....in 50 or 100 years time it will be asked about
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    ...in 500 or 100 years time people will ask this question

Hmm, don't think I'm that worried.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Sounds really good. Can we use Velibs?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    So 10,000 people will be wearing a yellow jersey they haven't earned? That'll upset a few people :lol:
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    D'ya think Lance might sneak in, he has 7 of 'em? :)
  • cyclingfury
    If you visit the website, they are now taking entries. There are 5000 places at €5 each.
    Well, signed up for that, just need to work out how to get a bike there! Can I take it on the Eurostar?
  • If you visit the website, they are now taking entries. There are 5000 places at €5 each.

Excellent, thanks for the heads up! :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    le strava will be in meltdown on that day :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Well, signed up for that, just need to work out how to get a bike there! Can I take it on the Eurostar?
    Yep - if you bag it. Otherwise you have to give it to the luggage people to put through and it costs like £50 or something a time.
  • dp_1410
    dp_1410 Posts: 168
    Excellent. Thanks for the heads up, will be a great opportunity!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Just signed me and my wife up for this. I did the 2003 one with some others from the C+ forum. Had a great time so really looking forward to this. Now to plan the trip, stay overnight or just drive early there and back late?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    mroli wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Yep - if you bag it. Otherwise you have to give it to the luggage people to put through and it costs like £50 or something a time.
    Excellent, I'll borrow a bag so I can keep it near me and keep an eye on it!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My wife and I have tickets for this, but can't realistically take bikes with us (itinerary is train - Cov-London-Paris - 2 night stop over, do ride, watch tour - Granville - week holiday in Normandy - Granville-Paris-London-Cov). So does anyone know anywhere in Paris where I book online to hire a pair of bikes for the day on 21st July? Velib looks like it has the potential to work out too pricey given the way the pricing ramps up.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    just signed up for this not sure if I will get in not how I will get to Paris, maybe spend some time in the Alps before and then drive up for the Sunday
  • Paul 8v
    Got the ticket, got a bike, just got to work out how the heck I am going to do this, ditch the bike at the hotel (Near the Gare de lyon) And get back in time for the race at Brit corner which is the opposite end of the champs Elysees! Any ideas of the timing of this compared to the main race? Don't really fancy chaining up the bike in a bike park as it may grow legs (Or wheels)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Pross wrote:
    So 10,000 people will be wearing a yellow jersey they haven't earned? That'll upset a few people :lol:

I reckon a certain Badger will be pissed.... But then again a large %age of the 10,000 will be pure muppets anyway
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Paul 8v
    emadden wrote:
    I reckon a certain Badger will be pissed....
    He'll probably take us all on!
  • Paul 8v
    Anyone got any idea what time the race normally reaches the Champs Elysees? Just trying to work out the logistics of getting the sprtive done then the bike somewhere safe and back to watch the race!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Caravan is due on the Champs Elysees at 18:01 and first circuit starts 19:51 (at 40km/h schedule).
  • Paul 8v
    Ah thanks, I knew someone would know! The GranFondo/Sportive/whatever is at 15:00, that should give plenty of time as it's only short, will have to brave riding to the Paris traffic to the hotel near the Gare De Lyon though! I take it the metro will be swamped?
  • greasedscotsman
    Have the times changed? I thought it was due to start at 3:00, now says 2:30.

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/an ... arandonnee
  • Paul 8v
    Haven't had any instructions of where to go or what to do etc yet, only just found the start is on the avenue Foch after seeing that link!
  • greasedscotsman
    The confirmation email you get when you enter says the following...
    We will send you your convocation a few weeks before the event.
    Attention! You will need to present this convocation, as well as proof of identity the day of the ride to have access to the start area.

I guess there will be details in that.
  • Paul 8v
    Dammit, I reckon you're right there!

Must pay attention in class... :-)
  • Paul 8v
    mroli wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    When you say about bagging it, will I be able to keep it with me in the train or will they take it way to a baggage car? The bike bag I've managed to get hold of is unpadded and I would like to keepbit with me rather than have someone chucking it about!
  • Paul 8v
    OK, bloody confused now! Apparently Eurostar have changed their policy on this recently and now you can't take a bike on as luggage unless the bag is less than 80cm (Folder basically) And you can only put a bike on at London. I'm going from Kent so I'm boned straight away as far as I can see but also, would you trust the baggage guys with a soft bag when you can't see the bike and what they're doing to it?!

Basically if you were thinking of taking your bike over like that you might have to re-think :-/