Cyclescheme - can I return the bike?

2»

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Just remember when you put those conti's on that they will have the release agent from when they were molded still covering them so will be a bit slippy to start with. Once bedded in they are very grippy.

Just thought it worth a mention in light of your previous experiences, when out on your first ride on them and they don't feel 'all that' grip wise.

I'd wait until there is a dry spell coming up before you put them on for the first time so you can get a couple of dry rides in to clean them up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    bunter wrote:
    ... they feel like really nice tyres...
    Rubber fetishist?
    Sounds like the lbs are doing the right thing, let's hope the manufacturer does.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bunter wrote:
    ... they feel like really nice tyres...
    Rubber fetishist?
    Sounds like the lbs are doing the right thing, let's hope the manufacturer does.

I was just testing them for grippiness, honest guv'nor! :oops:
  • bunter
    Quick update - The lbs are returning the bike. I think I was probably just unlucky with that particular bike rather than it being a bad bike design per se. I think perhaps the handling issue was a problem with the rear wheel flexing a lot (and hence popping spokes all the time). The really great thing is that the guys at the lbs get that the experience I had meant that I just didn't feel right about the bike and didn't really want to see it again. They have offered me a Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 as a replacement, which should be ready sometime this week. Really looking forward to riding it.

Great service from the lbs, who really seem to care about my experience.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Excellent news, well done lbs. Pro6 looks really good, can't wait for my frame to turn up. Have you gone for the ridiculous green?
  • bunter
    Mine is black/blue details, which looks good IMHO.
    I like the green version too.

Really excited about it. Let me know how you get on with yours…
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Tyres aren't you're problem, ditch the paniers and ride with a rucksack problem over.

Fucking hated the couple of weeks I rode with paniers utterly shitfucked my bikes handling, sound familiar?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bunter
    itboffin wrote:
    Tyres aren't you're problem, ditch the paniers and ride with a rucksack problem over.

******* hated the couple of weeks I rode with paniers utterly shitfucked my bikes handling, sound familiar?

I really hope not. Your experience does sound kind of familiar -except this was a new bike so I didn't have such a clear idea of the handling without panniers. Riding with a rucksack is uncomfortable and causes me back pain, especially on longer rides (doing the Way of the Roses last year carrying all my stuff in a rucksack ended up being agonising)

also, with or without panniers, a 'cross bike shouldn't bust spokes all the time -it's meant to be tough...
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I don't doubt that you hit the ground (and you have my sympathies!) but aside from a broken bike it seems like there are only two possibilities: something on the tyres or something on the ground that reduces grip.

After years riding a hybrid on Marathon Pluses with heavy panniers and - sad to say - broken spokes ignored for months at a time, nothing similar has happened to me. The two times I went down were when I locked the front while going around a corner (my fault) and when a piece of metal caused a front blowout, again while going around the corner.

Even as the least ambitious cyclist around, I'd be astonished to fall off a bike, whatever the make or whatever the rubber. Surely there's something more to this?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 'pre-loved' wheel on the back of my commuter has now done about 12 spokes, I know when one has snapped as the rear feels very loose through corners....I would say it's a "definate maybe" that the dodgy rear wheel wasn't helping matters!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bunter
    The 'pre-loved' wheel on the back of my commuter has now done about 12 spokes, I know when one has snapped as the rear feels very loose through corners....I would say it's a "definate maybe" that the dodgy rear wheel wasn't helping matters!

That fits with my experience. Also, popping a spoke while cornering is most disconcerting. OTOH my old bike would ride fine with a load of super-loose spokes (no tension at all) - maybe the rims are stiffer?