Commuting rucksack recommendations please

2»

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Better safe than sorry !
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Thanks kids!

Despite the excellent Cycle Surgery code, I've decided to go for a 2013 Deuter Race Air from elsewhere. The larger Vaudes look great, but I don't really want large and the Deuter Race looks absolutely perfect for what I'm after.
  • don't understand the attraction of rucksacks for cycling - carrying stuff is what the bike's for...
  • I have been through a whole host of packs, whilst trying to find the one that I get on with in the real world. (Trying it on in the shop and walking around with it somehow doesn't quite 'cut it' as a trial run for living with it on the bike)

I have been through Camelbak HAWG/Mules, A mini Deuter that I cant remember the name of and I've eventually settled on a pack that someone else here mentioned - An Osprey Escapist 25. Mine is black. http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... TkCqxRFAdk
    Its got a hi-vis pull-out cover, the mesh on the pack allows you to clip a rear light to it without letting it loose, hi-vis strips down the flanks and in the 4 days that we call summer, its not ridiculously sweaty!
    I rate them!
    Its small enough that it doesn't impeed movement on the bike (mtb or commuter road) but it's big enough to get jeans/shirt/boxers/socks/medium size towel/shower gel/hair product/toothpaste/toothbrush/aftershave and if you are REALLY cunning, you can wedge your shoes into the mesh pocket and use the mesh as an anchor point for a small bungee strap to stop the shoes from falling out.
    bungee-cords-btga041-.jpg-332337d1354280447
  • jonny_trousers
    hubgearfan wrote:
    don't understand the attraction of rucksacks for cycling - carrying stuff is what the bike's for...

Don't understand the attraction of racks and panniers for cycling when you don't need to carry much - weighs down the bike unnecessarily.

That help?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Don't understand how one fits racks and panniers to one's bike when one's only ride is a high end carbon racing bike.
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Deuter Race EXP Air here as well... fantastic bit of kit!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • hubgearfan wrote:
    don't understand the attraction of rucksacks for cycling - carrying stuff is what the bike's for...

Don't understand the attraction of racks and panniers for cycling when you don't need to carry much - weighs down the bike unnecessarily.

That help?

:idea: a front basket any good?
  • jonny_trousers
    hubgearfan wrote:
    hubgearfan wrote:

That help?

:idea: a front basket any good?

Good thinking! A wicker basket on my bike could look rather pretty! I could get some of those lovely tassels to hang from my bar ends, too!
  • I just got myself the Karrimor Urban 30 rucksack... Good size, great price, well made. It's not too big, or too small. The back and straps are well padded, it's light and comfortable to wear. Go and check it out.

Got it mainly because it has a chest strap, which is very useful when riding. It also has reflective parts, and a loop to attach a light if commuting when it's dark. :)
  • jonny_trousers
    I went for the Deuter Race EXP Air in the end and I'm very pleased that I did. It's an incredibly neat and well thought out piece of kit that suits my needs perfectly. It's a little more expensive than other brands, but you can't put a price on quality, right? Anyway, I raided my topcashback account to pay for it so essentially it was free. :D

Thanks for the thoughts, all!
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Inov-8 hydration pack (without the bladder which you buy separately anyway).

Not cheap but a superb alternative that has made my commute way more comfy than a rucksack.

Big capacity for a bum bag (4lt plus external bands), properly waterproof, high quality and super-light. No more sweaty back or straps cutting in. You literally forget you have it on, no need for a tight waistbelt, just tight enough to hang on your hips. Stays put even on stand-up climbing. I fit clean shirt/pants/socks, pack lunch and more in mine.

51M6FEOD5rL.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Typical. Having said in early March I have no need for a rucksack I now find I cannot bring myself to fit a rack to my lovely new Kinesis. Rucksack shopping it is. Had a look at the Osprey Escapist 25 and it looks promising. My only concern is how cool, or not, it is on your back. The Deuter bags with the mesh look to allow more airflow. Anybody have experience of both? What do we think?
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    My missus bought me a Litchfield Rambler 35 litre. £20 on Tesco Direct
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/lichfield-r ... 0-0884.prd

It has pads on the top and bottom to help lift the pack away from your back to aid air flow
    Chest and waist straps. Decent sized pocket on the 'lid' which holds my waterproof jacket, two good sized pockets on either side, which could hold a change of shoes, and a large flat pocket an the back for holding.......er.......flat stuff :)
    And a couple of loopy things for hooking a light on
    Though I've not had a chance to test for waterproofness yet, it looks like it'll stand up to all but the heaviest downpour

Overall, very happy with it,
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I use a DHB Flyte 25.

Its great, lightweight, all the right straps and sits well on my back, the only problem is that it gets a bit sweaty as there is no "airflow system"/

Previously I was using a Karrimor Airflow 25, but the zips and pockets are rubbish and it weighed a tonnage. Going down the rack route on the peugeot.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Looking for a small, light backpack (ideally that won't make my back super sweaty) that I can stick a spare tube, a pump and a change of clothes in (no need to be able to take shoes). There are loads out there, but I thought I'd try to get some first hand advice from you lot.

Thanks!
    Messenger Bag. I went messenger bag a few years back and have never looked back since!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face- ... ag-medium/
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Messenger Bag. I went messenger bag a few years back and have never looked back since!

This may be because messenger bags are inherently unstable, and a manoeuvre as complicated as looking back is likely to have the bag (and you) moving around all over the place. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    messenger bag all the way.. I got myself a dhb 17l and it suits my needs. plenty of room, also doesn't cover your back so you don't overheat. plenty of inside pockets and compartments and also a front strap to keep it all steady... highly recommended.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just got a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger from Evans, £60 and really, really love it already, I've only ridden with it once! It has a large main compartment, a separate place for papers and the like, an organiser section with loads of zippered pockets, the Napoleon pocket which means you don't need to open the flap to get to it, and loads of other nice features. £60 well spent.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Problem is I'd also use it on the mountain bike, walking about on holiday and such like. Rucksack would be more versatile.
    How to justify shopping for 2 bags to the EPO.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Problem is I'd also use it on the mountain bike, walking about on holiday and such like. Rucksack would be more versatile.
    How to justify shopping for 2 bags to the EPO.

I'm not qualified to comment on dirty mountain bike stuff, but my North Face Large Messenger has accompanied me on the commute every work day for the last 4 years and has recently proved to be exceptionally good at travelling around south east Asia. I find it much less sweaty than a rucksack (I suppose because it doesn't cover the whole back and because you can shift it's position occassionally), more stable than a rucksack (because it's flatter when full), and a far more useful shape than a rucksack (the big rectangular shape accomodates far more stuff than the usual curved squashed triangle arrangement of a rucksack - I'm thinking a pair of lever arch files from the office or, perhaps, a set of four laquered paintings from Vietnam).

Hope that helps (now you can spend the second bag money on something more fun). :D
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    I'm undecided between the Deuter Race EXP and the Camelbak Octane Scudo.

Not sure if I would use the hydration pack though.
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Choice made - Deuter not available on the cyclescheme as it doesn't have reflective bits - fml !!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    FWIW - the EPO bought one of these a little while ago for herself:
    Small Karrimor thing
    And now its my bag of choice, I can fit D-lock and cable, pump, clothes, tube, tools, wallet, phone, keys, bananas etc all at once. Because its so small it doesn't make you too hot. It only costs £10 too...
  • -=mike=-
    -=mike=- Posts: 31
    Alpkit Gourdon 20l,an ultralight race pack, fantastic piece of kit, waterproof and comes in fluro colours.
    Has held up for a years commuting in all weathers, and cheap compared to the alternatives at £22 serious bargain

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=251