Commuting rucksack recommendations please

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
Looking for a small, light backpack (ideally that won't make my back super sweaty) that I can stick a spare tube, a pump and a change of clothes in (no need to be able to take shoes). There are loads out there, but I thought I'd try to get some first hand advice from you lot.

Thanks!

Comments

• glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    My vote would go to for an Osprey Escapist 25 L.
    Comfy and not too sweaty, interior is very flexible for carrying bits.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Deuter Race. Shirt, trousers, underwear is fine along with a spare tube and pump. Wont take much more.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Not sure if what you looking for but have a look at the Gelert serenity rucksack range with the feature of a cool air back system, comes in different sizes, think 18,22,and 28 LTS.
    I like my as it doesn’t get as sweaty as a normal backpack, but be warm though because the rigid curve frame it’s hard to get big stuff in.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Lowe Alpine Airzone 25. Sits off your back so will keep it cool. Built in rain cover, waist and chest straps so it stays put. Oh and it has a whistle in case you get lost....

I get clothes and travel towel plus wash gear, pump, spares etc in with ease. Room for lunch and extra shoes too if necessary.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I think you'll just get lots of people telling you what rucksack they have, as long as it hasn't exploded / set on fire / ruined everything you put in it.

In that vein, I have a Camelbak Mule, had it about 4 years now and still seems fine.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 for the Deuter suggestion. Got a Bike 1 (30l so bigger than you need, probably), superb bit of kit.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As per everyone else, I can only recommend what I use.
    Deuter Superbike. 4 1/2 years of flawless performance.
    Airstrips to keep you cool, light, small enough, expandable, lots of pocket options, built-in rain cover, built-in gilet type thing, H2o........

When (if?) it ever gives up the ghost I will be replacing it with whatever the latest version is.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Deuter Race also, superb for the money
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    +1 for Deuter Race. Comfortably fit tube, pump, change of clothes and my lunch (!) in with multi-tool/levers, building passes, etc in the zipped pockets. Have used it to take my tablet (10") to work on occasion too.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Deuter +1.

AND use the code 30%PACKS if you're buying it at Cyclesurgery this week.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Deuter Race EXP Air, got one at Xmas, not cheap, but not expensive either and great bit of kit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-exp ... tAodGU8AEQ
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    when im only carrying that amount i use my deuter race, its light, its comfortable, its great.

if im carrying more than that i use an alpkit bag. which is brilliant and cheap
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    I'm just using my Dakine ski rucksack. It has chest strap and plenty of room and is indestructible quality.

Hoping to ditch the rucksack come the Summer once I get my regular routine sorted.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Vaude Alpin Air is a good (in my opinion better - I recall provaricating long and hard between the two) alternative to the Deuter. Worth a look.
  • pangolin
    Just to throw a spanner in the works... when I am carrying as little as you list, like I was today, I use a large saddlebag. Any backpack makes me much sweatier than not having one, so if possible I try not to take one.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-classic-large-saddle-bag/
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • spasypaddy
    can you really get shirt, trousers, boxers and tools in one of them?

i suppose it opens up back pockets for phone/wallet/bits
  • i use an alpkit 25 litre rucksack, holds my clothes, lunch, tubes, pump and waterproof to boot
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    if I was buying a new one rather than a rain cover I'd try and get one that is water proof, I never stop to pull the cover on if its raining, who wants to stop in the rain? Also they are a pain to dry. Bear in mind its usability for other activities as well?
  • pangolin
    spasypaddy wrote:
    can you really get shirt, trousers, boxers and tools in one of them?

i suppose it opens up back pockets for phone/wallet/bits

Ah tis a good point, I missed that he takes a whole change with him. My trews and work shirts are at work.

Today I fitted into mine:

Various tools, pump, tube, spare battery
    Boxers, socks, tshirt
    Sandwich, banana, crisps
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jonny_trousers
    Nice one all!

Looks like the Deuter is a winner, but with Cyclingprop's excellent discount code, I'd be a mug nor to go to Cycle Surgery. Sadly they don't do Deuter, however. They do do Vaude Alpins, though.

My next question is about size: What I expect to carry mostly is tube, mini pump, levers, tool and a spare set of cycling clothes (long story, but I'm mostly not going to be at work long enough to let my cycling gear dry off before heading for home now), but it would be useful to be able to fit a rolled up pair of jeans and a jumper, and maybe a book or magazine, too. Impossible with a 12 ltr bag? How about Sketchley's choice which can expand an extra 5 ltr over that? Is a 25 ltr bag neat enough to be barely noticed when riding? I do have regular cheapy rucksacks for days when I want to carry extra, I suppose, but it would be useful to just keep the spares and tools in one place.

Thanks for the thoughts so far!
  • spasypaddy
    tools and bits go in a small saddle bag under the seat, freeing up more room in your backpack.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    How about Sketchley's choice which can expand

As can the Vaude Alpin, which was a bit of a draw for me. The flexibility is great, in that it has compression straps for times when you have very little to carry and want to go aero(ish) and bellows-type expansion for when you want to transport the house. It also takes a Camelbak bladder.

Have a look and see what you think.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Mine is a 25 ltr and fits everything with ease but I'm taking clothes, travel towel and pump, tubes, levers etc plus lunch some days. I have to say I don't notice it at all on my ride. I should imagine 12 ltr might be ok even with the jeans.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    spasypaddy wrote:
    tools and bits go in a small saddle bag under the seat, freeing up more room in your backpack.
    Please refer to rule #29..

:lol: even i carry my saddle bag inside the rucksack now..
  • jonny_trousers
    spasypaddy wrote:

I've discovered I just don't get on with saddle packs: the back of my thighs keep hitting them, which winds me up.
    vermin wrote:
    How about Sketchley's choice which can expand

As can the Vaude Alpin, which was a bit of a draw for me. The flexibility is great, in that it has compression straps for times when you have very little to carry and want to go aero(ish) and bellows-type expansion for when you want to transport the house. It also takes a Camelbak bladder.

Have a look and see what you think.

Yeah, the answer is to go take a look. Just watched a Youtube video of the Alpin 25 + 5 and it really does look like a clever little piece of kit.
  • I just use a cheap bearghaus rucksack that I've had for years. It can take 25/30 litres which is more than enough. It says it has some sort of air flow thing on the back but I don't think that these are that effective. You can get loads of these bags cheap in the sale at places like Blacks.

I also bought a camelbak mule a couple of years ago and have used it a couple of times. It looks good but theres no way I'd pay that sort of cash again.

The cheapo has space for a few shirts, laptop, jeans, tools and lunch etc but if I don't need to carry loads I dont and the weight is therefore the same as the camelbak. But I have the option of carrying more. The camelbak hardly has any space and clothes get squashed in and creased
    The space means that if I need to shop for dinner or pick up a couple of beers it fits in the bag.
    Neither are properly waterproof so clothes go in a carrier bag and stay dry.
    Whatever you buy will get covered in cr@p from the road after rain and need washing
    Air flow things sound and look good but an £80 one appears to have the same effect as a £25 one
    the camelbak has a million different straps that are not used and have to be tucked in somewhere.
    After using the bladder a few times I'll stick to bottles on the bike as this is much more comfortable

Basically any old cheap rucksack with some sort of air flow will do the job just as well as a posh bag and in terms of available space probably better than the "designer" bike specific ones. I have also found that the general purpose bags have better and more internal compartments so its easier to organise tools, tubes, keys, wallet etc. The only thing that lets non bike bags down is the lack of reflective detailing. I think I may invest in a hump type cover at some point to remedy this.

But

The expensive ones look much better....
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I've been using an Osprey Flare 24 for the last year with no issues.
    It takes clothes, has a lightly-padded laptop sleeve when required, and has a couple of handy pockets for tools,pump,wallet & phone. Compression straps keep it small when empty, and at 24l has the space for shopping on the way home. It's got an outside pocket that fits a U-lock perfectly and keeps grease off yer shirts.
    With the addition of a Camelbak bladder it even coped with an off-piste snowboard day in La Grave.
    And...it's orange which can only be a good thing :-)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7sx5fmW-zQO5j-JS49L7Klg6M9OeG6JiGA7ihKOrl6CSTi8Lhqg
    Misguided Idealist
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Bit late but I've just seen an email from Cyclesurgery with a discount code for rucksacks, code is 30%PACKS
    Unfortunately today only so not long to go.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Bit late but I've just seen an email from Cyclesurgery with a discount code for rucksacks, code is 30%PACKS

Scroll up sweet pea.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Veronese68 wrote:

Scroll up sweet pea.
    Aaah, didn't bother reading the thread as I don't need a rucksack, just knew I'd seen the thread title, murmur, murmur, shuffles off... :oops: