Nutrition Advice for Distance

2»

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I was at a training seminar organised by the club where a nutritionist was presenting and recommended this. He knew what he was talking about, he was the nutritionist to the Cervelo Test Team in 2008-9, back when they were no. 1 in the world, Cancelara riding for them etc.

If its good enough for them, its good enough for me. Unfortunately the wife booked some weekends away so long rides have passed me by for the last few weeks and so I can't report on its success or not.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I guess the thing is you won't know if the fasting bit actually helped you or not. I could say do long slow rides with your pants on your head - if you did that, you couldn't be sure if the pants bit was important.

The "long slow" bit that I know about comes from a very successful book first published in 1998 that I bought in 2007. Basically it combines the fat burning adaptation from keeping your HR low with not depleting your glycogen so that you can train hard on alternate days. It would seem to me that training fasted would encourage depletion of your glycogen thus nullifying the second benefit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH