Roma Maxima *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Went to live racing at 12-45pm.
    So far, no live links to any feeds.
    I'm watching it on tv. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Looks like another avoid result and watch later. If they say the result on eurosport during Paris-Nice they'll be getting an angry letter from me.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pirazzi thinks its the Giro. :P

Link coming anytime, now......
  • blazing_saddles
    Well, there's a real stinker of a climb, with 38kms to go.................
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Great, nail-biting last 20ks or so.
  • blazing_saddles
    Another WOTA Race.
    Blei Kadri holds off all and sundry.
    Looked for all the world as if they'd catch him.

Big red face for Filippo POSEzatto who celebrated his second place "win".
    Really embarrassed interview. Commentators having a right old snigger.:oops:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Excellent. I have a feeling AG2R are going to have a pretty decent year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Another WOTA Race.

No ear pieces.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Brilliant by Kadri and LMAO at Pozatto :lol:

I have to admit that is a new race to me (I know it's a new name), I don't know how I've missed it before as it's a fantastic route. I can't imagine a better finish area for a race - I do love Rome :D
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Hillarious, and a massive egg on face moment!
  • rick_chasey
    They were going so fast in that last 10km. Looked like downhill all the way in.
  • Another WOTA Race.

No ear pieces.

So there are benefits of not having radios then.
  • rick_chasey
    Another WOTA Race.

No ear pieces.

So there are benefits of not having radios then.

It's definitely noticeable in the flemish races. Teammates not sure whether to ride or not. Usually ends up with van Avermaert riding when he shouldn't be.
  • rick_chasey
    Really enjoyable race though.

Much more like it.
  • It's definitely noticeable in the flemish races. Teammates not sure whether to ride or not. Usually ends up with van Avermaert riding when he shouldn't be.

OK, well I meant that the benefit was in making Pozzato look silly. But I do wonder how much the lack of radios changed the outcome. Pozzato didn't seem to be the only one who thought he'd won.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OK, well I meant that the benefit was in making Pozzato look silly. But I do wonder how much the lack of radios changed the outcome. Pozzato didn't seem to be the only one who thought he'd won.
    Would be good to know how many in the group thought they were sprinting to win. Several riders got the jersey on TV congratulating Pozzato. They all assumed Nibali's group had brought back Kadri? There were no cars/bikes with info? Outstanding :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Nibbles tweet to Pippo:

"I wanted to tell you but I didn't manage it in time. Hahaha"

:)
  • Kadri more luck this year - broke his collar bone in Paris Nice this time last year
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Macaloon wrote:
    Would be good to know how many in the group thought they were sprinting to win. Several riders got the jersey on TV congratulating Pozzato. They all assumed Nibali's group had brought back Kadri? There were no cars/bikes with info? Outstanding :D
    Yeah, I was actually expecting this to happen as I didn't see info on the road at all. Even the commentators pointed it out at some point, as the pace really seemed as if it was for Nibali's group only. Grega Bole (who placed third) even hit his handlebars in frustration (for thinking he got second).
  • blazing_saddles
    First contender for photo of the year-Frenchie?
    733812_10151296286188247_559781624_n.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Certainly beats some grimy industrial scene in Liege
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    'They' need to put a temporary track inside the coliseum. Run some gladitorial sprints and "elimination" races.
    Jaw-dropping overhead shots from both Italian races this weekend.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

Spectacular!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Great racing! Proper!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just watched the last 10km on steephill. Heroic effort by Kadri. Looked like he'd borrowed TV Tommy's tongue at times.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lovely photo as are the others from the race. Great to see something a little different.

A little embarrassing for Pozzato but then it is an easy mistake to make when you there is a lack of information. He has very good form though and has even won a race. Contender for MSR certainly.

In his words:
    "I'm gutted not to win but it happens…." Pozzato said.

"When I got back on I thought there was only the five guys up front an so when we caught them and fought out the sprint, I put my arms up because I thought I'd won. When I saw that my soigneur was hiding instead of celebrating, I knew there was something wrong…"

With race radios not allowed in UCI Europe Tour level races, the riders competing in Roma Maxima had to rely on the official motorbike blackboard and their own teams for race information.

"Most sports are happy to accept the advantages of new technology, but cycling likes to ignore them. But this isn't the moment for a debate about radios. I made a mistake. When I got back on, I asked Cunego who was up front and he told me Nibali was in a move. They sat up with a kilometre to go, I felt strong and so went or it."

Nibali looking very active early season. Am sure he will go all out to win MSR.

600-Roma_Maxima_Kadri_biga.jpg

Last 10km:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... t6DC24BYtQ

Pretty crazy they are racing in streets like this.
    cycling.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Was a fantastic race, and nice to see an escapee win, always feel for guys like Kadri who bury themselves but get caught inside the last km.
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 30
    Kadri more luck this year - broke his collar bone in Paris Nice this time last year

Certainly. Chain came off just at the end of a climb and managed to fix it on the descent. If he was forced to stop he might not have won.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just got round to watching the extended highlights. What a superb ride by Kadri, I am really pleased for him. I kept thinking his legs would give out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    God, that race gave me flashbacks of a holiday in Rome. I saw the Hotel I stayed in, at the 18km to go point, at Santa Maria della Molle.
    Whatever you do, don't go on your Hols there unless you want to sleep with the sound of Ryan Air jets in your ears.
    The Colleseum tube station is full of Indian guys insisting you buy their gear before you can get outside.

God, I've had flashbacks ever since.

Pozzatto, the eternal Bridesmaid in the Eternal City. Ha!

In case I didn't mention, Rome is cr@p!!

Jerry :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil