What really happened to Robert Millar?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited November 2017 in Pro race
I was visiting a client in Dorset today, who had acquired an ex race bike from one of Robert Millar's old teams. This then prompted the conversation as to what happened to him? My client said he had heard that he lived locally and is now called Roberta!!! To which I replied that I had heard this rumour. And am sure that it was on Radar couple of years back. Is the rumour really true? Does anyone know for sure?
BTW the bike was a Peugeot (Vitus) and possibly was that of Jacques Bossis. Fantastic looking frame.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• He's still using the name Robert Millar on his blog: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/
  • We are fortunate to have him post on this forum from time to time and he writes incisively during the racing season.

Is there any need to know more than that?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    The truth is that he won some bicycle races, a lot of people loved watching him and then he retired.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Seem to recall someone saying that he lived in Daventry & was still riding his bike but that might have been a long time ago.

Either way he was & still is a hero to me watching on our little TV as he flew up mountains..... you get the idea.

I don't care or want to know what he is doing now as if he chooses to live his life privately then lets live with his wishes & remember what we can about how he used to ride.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I heard that Brian Smith is still in regular contact with Robert Millar. I guess Bob wants to stay firmly out of the limelight, which is our loss. He has a lot of good stuff to say on the sport as it is today. His occasional writings on cyclingnews always hit the nail on the head. Those two pieces he wrote on Lance and the U.C.I. are killer.

His diary in the early editions of Cycle Sport was some of the funniest stuff I've ever read on the sport. The Cycle Sport Robert Millar retirement special is one of my most coveted cycling magazines. Apparently, Phil Ligget wasn't a big fan of his so that's a reasonable seal of approval. He did a little commentating on Eurosport at one point and was pretty good. Robert Millar and Sean Kelly working together on Eurosport would be a bit of a commentating dream team. There'd probably be a bit of "dead air" but they'd call the race spot-on most of the time while taking the p!ss out of themselves and probably one or two others. It'd be hilarious.

Whatever he is up to these days, I hope he is happy. It's great to see he still has a keen interest in the sport and his writings will always be worth reading.

DD.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Seem to recall someone saying that he lived in Daventry & was still riding his bike but that might have been a long time ago.

Either way he was & still is a hero to me watching on our little TV as he flew up mountains..... you get the idea.

I don't care or want to know what he is doing now as if he chooses to live his life privately then lets live with his wishes & remember what we can about how he used to ride.

Sums it up perfectly for me.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I don't know if you've read In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore, but I was impressed by the amount of detailed research that went into that book.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    Still writes occasionally.

When he does it's worth reading. Wish he did it more often, but then maybe it wouldn't always be so insightful.

I happened to pick up a rouleur copy a few years ago and he wrote a piece on climbing which was really very good.
  • All the best to her, the insights on this forum were always excellent.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The very best of luck Philippa.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Oh my lord - fantastic news she's joining the itv4 crew.
    The dream team just got dreamier.
    I always thought the most curious thing about all the rumours was that she'd choose to live in Daventry.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Good luck to her. Hope she'll pop back into the forum one day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • This is great news!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Watching Robert racing on the tv is one of the strongest memories I have of pro cycling when I was a kid. I was enthralled by the out-of-this-world climbing ability.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Watching Robert racing on the tv is one of the strongest memories I have of pro cycling when I was a kid. I was enthralled by the out-of-this-world climbing ability.

The Millar v Lucho Herrera years. Beautiful to watch the pure climbers go at it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    Her views on ITV4?

Outstanding.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Like sunshine in a lift, this is brilliant on many levels. Have always enjoyed her writing - looking forward to more.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Respect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    ITV4 are building a powerhouse team. One somewhat wasted on just the Tour each year
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Welcome back. No doubt some to55ers on social media will be able to vent their ire but those who read her commentaries on the TdF and remember the forum when she would take questions on this site will know of her insights. Is David Millar staying on? A tale of two millars and that alone is worth the price of admission
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Great news. Good luck Philippa in everything that you do.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Crossbar or not then?
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    You were inspirational in your past life as Robert, by taking on such a public role I'm sure you'll be equally inspirational Phillipa.

Despite our slightly more enlightened times I do expect a Daily Heil outrage storm. I hope I am wrong.
  • Couldn't care less if he's a she now. All I care about is if she knows her stuff. Fascinated to hear what she has to say.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Great! There are many things in life I don't have the courage to do, what Phillipa has achieved is one of the greatest challenges out there. Wish you every happiness.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What impresses me, alongside Philippa's obvious courage, is that there are journalists and those in the cycling world who have known about this for some time and have respected her privacy until Philippa herself decided to speak about things. That's really heartening.

All the best to her, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she brings to ITV4's coverage.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Looking forward to hearing her comments and insights, just as with David Millar and Chris Boardman. All of their input is non run-of-the-mill, and you feel like you can trust what they say given their first hand knowledge. Imlach, Matt and Ned are not bad too - they all have a certain way with words. :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Have I missed her input already?

On holiday, so only managing to catch the highlights show. Had to suffer Kirby on Tuesday, made me be so thankful for millar and boulting. Chalk and cheese.

Agreed, imlach and boardman contribute to a highly informed and effective team, be nice if they could do the vuelta and giro too, though at least the latter was kirbyless.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    is Kirkby not a Eurosport commentator? Ned/Millar/Boardman/Imlach will be employed by ITV4 I presume and generally everyone gets the same feed from French TV and commentate appropriately. Think Yorke may have been waiting to go public before setting foot or voice on camera.