Abuse..

Comments

• philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Agreeing with the others.

If I'm riding about 1m off the curb (which I usually am) and want slightly more than 1m of distance between me and any over taking car, and am say 0.4m wide... then the inside edge of the car needs to be nearly 3m from the curb.

That means on most roads they are going to have to have crossed the centre line of the road.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,412
    Riding two abreast on roads where it would make overtaking more difficult, is inconsiderate and ignorant. And I don't even own a car.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Thin country roads for sure, this instance he had to pull in sharply due to oncoming traffic so does suggest a dodgy overtake
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Riding two abreast on roads where it would make overtaking more difficult, is inconsiderate and ignorant. And I don't even own a car.

Why?

Or are you in the camp that cyclists are other users and as such less important than slow vehicles who are also inconsiderate and ignorant of those behind who want to get past them and don't make faster drivers lives easier by using the road as its designed to be and within the law?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    seanoconn wrote:
    Because no cyclist's position on the road must ever inconvenience a motorist in the slightest? What exactly do you mean by 'ignorant'?
  • Tom Dean
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I've fantasised about ramming cyclists who ride abreast (and do nothing when they know a car is behind) off the road many times. Very arrogant and provoking behaviour!!! They do no favours for the image of the cyclist.
    No-one cares what their image might be in the minds of c u n t s like you.

edit: I was going to remove this comment but then, Bustacapp started it. Nice trolling when you consider the OP!
  • seanoconn
    Tom Dean wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Because no cyclist's position on the road must ever inconvenience a motorist in the slightest? What exactly do you mean by 'ignorant'?
    Why inconvenience anyone if it's avoidable? ......... Unless you're ignorant.

Ride in single file like everyone else.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Either your a troll or don't use the road yourself. Your logic makes you an inconvenience to others as it is avoidable and by being that inconvenience your ignorant so don't use the road yourself at all.

Or take the approach that everyone uses the road, we all have to stick to the laws of the road and all get along nicely. :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Tom Dean
    seanoconn wrote:

Why should I inconvenience myself when there is room for people to overtake? I'm still not getting what ignorance has to do with it.

Every group I have come across DOES file out rather than hold motorists up. Sometimes it takes a few moments to get that organised. Sometimes filing out still would not make it safe to overtake. Whatever you do, there will always be the odd moron like Bustacapp dreaming about smashing you off the road in the meantime. Most people are perfectly decent and appreciate there is some give and take.

If you or any other self-haters are so concerned about getting in people's way, you don't have to use the road at all.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Either your a troll or don't use the road yourself. Your logic makes you an inconvenience to others as it is avoidable and by being that inconvenience your ignorant so don't use the road yourself at all.

Or take the approach that everyone uses the road, we all have to stick to the laws of the road and all get along nicely. :D
    I knew I should have said unnecessary rather than avoidable :lol:

Why inconvenience anyone unnecessarily? ........ Unless you're ignorant.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    I knew I should have said unnecessary

That is a fair point - but I don't feel that by being cycling as 2 side by side or 1 behind another makes any difference to an overtake. As the first you need more more to the side to overtake & the second you need less room but more on the length to make a sensible and safe overtake.

I do see complete arsebag cyclists who do make it very difficult for other road users, but I'm willing to bet that their attitude to other road users is the same in whatever vehicle they use from a unicycle to a white van. In doing so they make the road a less safe place for everyone and give their own demographic a poor image to everyone else to stereotype.
  • seanoconn
    Tom Dean wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Why should I inconvenience myself when there is room for people to overtake? I'm still not getting what ignorance has to do with it.

Every group I have come across DOES file out rather than hold motorists up. Sometimes it takes a few moments to get that organised. Sometimes filing out still would not make it safe to overtake. Whatever you do, there will always be the odd moron like Bustacapp dreaming about smashing you off the road in the meantime. Most people are perfectly decent and appreciate there is some give and take.

If you or any other self-haters are so concerned about getting in people's way, you don't have to use the road at all.
    Errr what are you talking about?? If there's room to overtake then you're not inconveniencing other road users are you!
  • Tom Dean
    My point exactly FFS!
    You said
    seanoconn wrote:
    Riding two abreast always makes overtaking more difficult doesn't it? Should we go single file in the gutter, and make it even easier?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im not sure why it has got this far with so many people having a difference in opinion.
    The solution is ride 2 abreast when you feel like it and when a car comes to overtake simply fall into a line making it easier for the driver.
    After all, you want them to be courteous, surely the return of favour is the best solution ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Tom Dean
    Agree, except you don't always have to move over just to make it a bit easier, if there is room to pass.
  • seanoconn
    Tom Dean wrote:
    My point exactly FFS!
    You said
    seanoconn wrote:
    Riding two abreast always makes overtaking more difficult doesn't it? Should we go single file in the gutter, and make it even easier?
    If the roads are quiet and the other side of the road is clear, I would imagine overtaking two riders abreast is pretty easy Tom. On a par with overtaking a single rider I would say. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    seanoconn wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    My point exactly FFS!
    You said
    seanoconn wrote:
    If the roads are quiet and the other side of the road is clear, I would imagine overtaking two riders abreast is pretty easy Tom. On a par with overtaking a single rider I would say. :wink:

And slightly easier than overtaking two cyclists in line......

Besides, done well if riding two abreast holds a car up briefly, if the cyclists drop into line when it's safe to overtake that action indicates that fact to the driver.

In any case, cyclists rarely hold cars up in any meaningful sense anyway. The car will get past but the driver might think the 30 seconds or so wait is longer than it is. What actually holds cars up is the slower car in front which they can be stuck behind for mile after mile.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    My point exactly FFS!
    You said
    seanoconn wrote:

Here's another way of looking at it.... When I overtake a cyclist I like to leave as much room as possible between me and the bike by fully crossing to the other side of the road because I know how it feels to have 1500kg of metal graze past my elbow at 3 times my speed. By riding 2 abreast you are limiting the amount of room the driver can possibly give you by 1m. I acknowledge not everyone does that, but lets give them the chance, eh?

I think I'll stick to filtering back to single file when cars come up behind me and my riding buddies without resorting to riding in the gutter. Hard to be self righteous when dead.
  • VTech
    Not_Tintin wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    My point exactly FFS!
    You said
    seanoconn wrote:
    Hard to be self righteous when dead.

And that's the end of that.
    Living MY dream.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    VTech wrote:
    Im not sure why it has got this far with so many people having a difference in opinion.
    The solution is ride 2 abreast when you feel like it and when a car comes to overtake simply fall into a line making it easier for the driver.
    After all, you want them to be courteous, surely the return of favour is the best solution ?

This is not good enough for the selfish pr!cks in this thread who simply MUST ride 2 abreast at all times. Some other guy further up the thread said when he rides alone he likes 'x' amount of space between him and the kerb. So if he is riding 2 abreast would that then mean his mate would be almost in the centre of the road? ~Sorry but this thread just goes to show how many cyclists are utter w@nkers.

It's funny how I've never had abuse whilst out cycling. From what I can see a lot of cyclists are the provokers!!
  • Bustacapp
    edited March 2013
    Tom Dean wrote:

Generally speaking yes it does you bovine halfwit. Yes go in single file in the same place you would ride if alone. If you're out in the sticks then you can hold your mates hand a bit more there, but remember to get in line if a vehicle travelling faster than you is having trouble getting past. Why would you not? Why would you want a car up your arse for miles if anything else?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:
    It's funny how I've never had abuse whilst out cycling.

Presumably they have never engaged in conversation :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bustacapp
    smidsy wrote:

that was about as funny as red p!ss.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The old '2 abreast' chestnut is a non argument.

Extracts from the highway code.

'never ride more than two abreast'

'give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car'

'When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room. If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.'

'Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.'

This topic is as annoying as 'What Wheels' , 'Can I ride in Team Replica kit' and 'What size bike should I get'.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • seanoconn
    smidsy wrote:
    The old '2 abreast' chestnut is a non argument.

Extracts from the highway code.

'never ride more than two abreast'

'give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car'

'When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room. If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.'

'Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.'

This topic is as annoying as 'What Wheels' , 'Can I ride in Team Replica kit' and 'What size bike should I get'.
    Hardly a non argument. But I would agree the topic is annoying, as half the people with opinions on the subject are wrong :wink:

Laws such as the Highway Code and rules are written without passages about common sense and fair play. But that doesn't mean we can't apply them and all get along happily.

Ride two abreast if you like. If two abreast is causing a traffic hold up, ride single file and allow the traffic to pass. I really can't see why people would disagree with that.

And yes it is harder to overtake two cyclists riding abreast than riders in single file, for obvious reasons.

If other road users can't overtake riders in single file, then tough ****
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    I think seano is pretty much spot on...

Highway code is the letter of the law obviously but a degree of common sense does have to come into play.

When out and about on the bike its nice to get 2 a breast at times to have a bit of a chat, but at the same time if we collectively as cyclists want to be treated and given the respect from other road users then we have as much a part to play as anyone else.

Even when its easy to overtake when out riding I dont stay 2 a breast, we have a rule where whoever is on the outside spins up to the front single file.. Car goes past back to 2 a breast when safe to do so.. It literally doesnt take long to do.. (although i do only ride in a small group, so appreciate this is a more difficult move for big groups).

We complain when a car comes too close and although being single file does not always eliminate this I bet it reduces the "he nearly took my knee / elbow off" moments.

I think the 2 a breast arguement can be compared to the "How fast should my average speed be" threads..

There are so many variables its hard to give a definitive answer..

Traffic
    Road width
    Size of Group
    etc etc

Each to their own I suppose, but as a car driver as well, I know I am always greatful when cyclists single file when i am coming to overtake and it makes it a lot easier for me to give them the room I would want myself when being passed on my bike :)
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • VTech
    I still cant understand the arguing.
    Ride 2 abreast for as long as you like, then when traffic comes file into single line to be courteous to other road users.
    Its ohh so simple, even for a triangular bike bag wearer like me who has no idea about the needs of road cycling over turbo training :)

At least im not causing accidents and upsetting people on my turbo :):):)
    Living MY dream.
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    VTech wrote:

I beg to differ VTech you upset most of the forum with that Triangular bike bag ;)
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • VTech
    sancho_uk wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I beg to differ VTech you upset most of the forum with that Triangular bike bag ;)

But at least from the comfort of my home you guys cant turn swiftly left and knock me off my bike :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Bustacapp wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

that was about as funny as red p!ss.

Never heard that before, nice riposte. I will make a point of trying to use it now though.