iPad and bike gps

Comments

• vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    velohutts wrote:
    I am looking at changing the laptop which is on it's last legs to be fair , as a follow on to this thread ....

Can you upload from a 510/810 direct to strava on an ipad with wireless?

This may well influence the next cycle computer purchase or ipad vs laptop purchase.

Thanks in advance.

In short, no.

You can download your rides to Garmin Connect using the Garmin App on IOS or Android devices via Bluetooth. In order to get the ride onto Strava, you need a computer.

If you occasionally have access to a computer, you can save your rides from Garmin connect to the computer and then upload them to Strava.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    smidsy wrote:
    Which has got sod all to do with the iPad.

It does for the OP as that is all he has, no other computer to plug into.

you absolute cretin

WTF?

I have no gripe with you. Those are the facts, not some made up scenario.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Lack of usb connectivity is a big issue imo. Which is why my ipad will never be any more than an expensive and appealing toy. I love it to bits but if I want to do anything serious then I still need a windows pc or equivalent. Can't even print from it unless I get an iCloud compatible printer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Lack of usb connectivity is a big issue imo. Which is why my ipad will never be any more than an expensive and appealing toy. I love it to bits but if I want to do anything serious then I still need a windows pc or equivalent. Can't even print from it unless I get an iCloud compatible printer

Agree on the ipad being a toy, but no need to get a pc, just get a mac.
  • Mikey23
    Which is why I said 'or equivalent'!
  • Mikey23 wrote:

Any wireless enabled printer should be able to print directly from an iPad.

As already said, the iPad is not designed to be a substitute for a home computer. It is a mobile device that connects to wireless networks.

If you bought, say, an iPod touch, you wouldn't moan about lack of USB connectivity and call it a toy because it doesn't replace a home computer. It's designed for a different purpose.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    As already said, the iPad is not designed to be a substitute for a home computer. It is a mobile device that connects to wireless networks.

If you bought, say, an iPod touch, you wouldn't moan about lack of USB connectivity and call it a toy because it doesn't replace a home computer. It's designed for a different purpose.

At the risk of aquiring your wrath once again that argument is clearly not relevant.

The iPod is a music player so of course we would not expect it to replace a home computer.

The iPad is clearly designed to mirror many of the functions of a computer, the fact you can not USB connect is an oversight as far as I can see.

If the iPad is not designed to replace the computer it has very limited appeal and use, surely?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Vortice wrote:
    velohutts wrote:
    I am looking at changing the laptop which is on it's last legs to be fair , as a follow on to this thread ....

Can you upload from a 510/810 direct to strava on an ipad with wireless?

This may well influence the next cycle computer purchase or ipad vs laptop purchase.

Thanks in advance.

In short, no.

You can download your rides to Garmin Connect using the Garmin App on IOS or Android devices via Bluetooth. In order to get the ride onto Strava, you need a computer.

thanks vortice - that answers my question and likely the op's.

Now, back to the techno debate .

If you occasionally have access to a computer, you can save your rides from Garmin connect to the computer and then upload them to Strava.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Um, back on topic. You can do use the aforementioned USB OTG cable like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/IVSO%C2%AE-Nexu ... B008WOXUKI to connect a garmin to a phone or tablet. An app may also be required, if your device doesn't support additional drives natively, I know my Nexus 7 needs one called Nexus Media Importer @ £1.88 to do it. You can then browse your garmin as if it was a drive, and open strava.com on your phone/tablet, upload activity > upload files from your computer > select the .fit file from your garmin.
    Of course if your phone/tablet doesn't have a USB connection (Apple devices for example) you are stuffed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Which is why I said 'or equivalent'!

A mac is a little bit more than 'equivalent' to Windows :P
  • Mikey23
    Ok, I submit!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    this thread is officially bonkers.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    philbar72 wrote:
    this thread is officially bonkers.
    Not entirely - it would be handy if you could upload to both Garmin connect and strava with data from your Garmin via an iPad.
    To do this, you "just" need to be able to read the Garmin as a USB device - in order to do that on an iPad you have to jailbreak the device.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Anyone who thinks an ipad or any other tablet is designed to usurp a desktop pc is quite literally a blithering idiot.

They are merely convenient surfing/media devices than can run a few limited applications.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Anyone who thinks an ipad or any other tablet is designed to usurp a desktop pc is quite literally a blithering idiot.

They are merely convenient surfing/media devices than can run a few limited applications.

But most people use their PCs as a convenient surfing/media device.....

So for that market they are a viable alternative.
  • Bustacapp
    philwint wrote:

But most people use their PCs as a convenient surfing/media device.....

Did you pull that 'fact' out of your arsehole?
  • philwint
    No i didn't, nor did i become pathetically rude and annoying because someone offered an opinion different to my own.

That is based on a limited sample of 'the people i know'. I know some people who like to play PC games, I know a lot of photographers who require sophisticated editing applications. And I know a lot of other people who are neither Gamers or Photographers, who use their pcs to store and view media, surf the web and use various social media sites/apps.

In my circle of friends that latter category are more numerous than the former. Hence my assertion.

Also the skew seems to be more toward the younger end. My kids and their friends are far more likely to be in the latter camp than either of the former.

And interestingly a lot of the first two categories have tablets as well as their PCs and often reach for the tablet instead of the desktop/laptop for media/surfing things.
  • Bustacapp
    philwint wrote:
    And interestingly a lot of the first two categories have tablets as well as their PCs and often reach for the tablet instead of the desktop/laptop for media/surfing things.

I have both. As I mentioned the tablet is for casual surfing/media use. Tablets are nothing much more than oversized smartphones/ipods. I suppose if you are a simpleton/pensioner/technophobe then you could live quite happily with just a tablet.

I remain unenlightened by your post.
  • slowbike
    Bustacapp wrote:

For a large majority of consumers, tablets can and do replace their desktops in day2day life.

To say they are merely convenient surfing/media devices with a few limited applications suggests an extremely blinkered viewpoint - probably one shared by the blithering idiots initially referred too.
  • Bustacapp
    Slowbike wrote:
    To say they are merely convenient surfing/media devices with a few limited applications suggests an extremely blinkered viewpoint - probably one shared by the blithering idiots initially referred too.

I'm sorry but you are a blithering idiot if you think they are anywhere near as versatile as a PC.

They are portable media/surfing devices with limited functionality.
  • slowbike
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I'm sorry but you are a blithering idiot if you think they are anywhere near as versatile as a PC.

They are portable media/surfing devices with limited functionality.

RTFP - I did not say they are as versatile as PCs.

Re your second statement - that is severely misguided - and if you believe that then it would make you the blithering idiot.
  • Bustacapp
    Slowbike wrote:
    Re your second statement - that is severely misguided - and if you believe that then it would make you the blithering idiot.

Come on then what operating system are you referring to and what are the utterly brilliant things you can achieve with a tablet? Not much more than a smartphone or even less!

Even if I was an app developer I'd use a PC to develop the apps.
  • dab_32
    dab_32 Posts: 94
    Come on then what operating system are you referring to and what are the utterly brilliant things you can achieve with a tablet? Not much more than a smartphone or even less!

Even if I was an app developer I'd use a PC to develop the apps.

The point is the majority of people don't want to do 'utterly amazing things' and develop apps/edit photos/make music. They want a device to surf the web, watch videos on youtube and listen to music. This can be done very easily on a tablet so for these people a tablet will replace a laptop. A laptop has a lot of functions the majority of users wont use or need.

No one is saying you cant do more with a laptop/desktop but a person only needs a device to do the things they want to do, for most this is not high end use so a tablet will replace a laptop FOR THESE PEOPLE. Before tablets, this cut down option never existed so everyone had laptops (and didn't use them to their full extent).

USB connectivity on a iPad would be useful for uploading purposes however it's not going to happen as Apple are very precious about what happens to their devices once you buy them. Other tablets do have this option.

Seeing things from other people's point of view is a very important life skill, not everyone uses devices for the same things you do.
  • slowbike
    The main advantages of a PC/Laptop over a tablet are:

1) Processing power
    2) Storage capacity
    3) Input capability

There are apps and devices available for tablets that let you do the vast majority of things PCs & Laptops generally get used for..

After all, all a tablet is is a portable computing device.

I do wish Apple would (officially) open up the iPad with USB or sd card reader connectivity as it would mean I would need the laptop even less ...
  • dab_32
    dab_32 Posts: 94
    But then people wouldn't buy Macbooks, iPad will never replace the laptop for this reason.
  • philwint
    Apple does drive some strange behavior because of the restrictions around iTunes.

The only reason my brother bought his PC was so he could install iTunes to get his iPhone to work!

He then spent several months feeding CD's into it, but rarely uses it now - He's got an iPad too and between his phone and tablet that's his IT needs met.

I suppose that makes him a blithering idiot
  • Bustacapp
    dab_32 wrote:
    They want a device to surf the web, watch videos on youtube and listen to music. This can be done very easily on a tablet so for these people a tablet will replace a laptop. A laptop has a lot of functions the majority of users wont use or need.

Exactly my point. A surfing/media device.
  • philwint
    Bustacapp wrote:
    dab_32 wrote:
    They want a device to surf the web, watch videos on youtube and listen to music. This can be done very easily on a tablet so for these people a tablet will replace a laptop. A laptop has a lot of functions the majority of users wont use or need.

And our point is that because that's all a lot of people want from a device, then for THEM a tablet is an acceptable alternative to a PC in use
  • slowbike
    Bustacapp wrote:
    dab_32 wrote:

ZZZzzzzzz......

Nothing quite so blinkered as a blithering idiot!
  • philwint wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    dab_32 wrote:

And our point is that because that's all a lot of people want from a device, then for THEM a tablet is an acceptable alternative to a PC in use

But the point is it's not designed for that purpose. Thus not having large storage capacity, usb connectivity, and what have you. So moaning about it not having USB connectivity is dickish.

For some people, an iPhone / Samsung Galaxy does everything they might otherwise use a PC for. But does that mean the manufacturers should get slagged off for not making a phone compatible with any old sh*t that people fancy plugging into it?

I use iPads to wedge doors open. Unfortunately they're too shiny and when used on carpet can slide, thus not holding the door firmly. If only Apple would listen to consumers and add a layer of galvanised rubber to the outside. And make it wedge shaped. It would be much better.