Knee pain

I've been having knee pain on rides over 50 or so miles recently. I can feel it coming on with a sense of increased fatigue in the muscle that runs from my right hip to knee and if I continue to ride pain starts to develop on the outside of my right knee.

Does this sound like IT band issues?

Comments

• could be!
  • I have had it problems in the past and they we sorted out with sports massage and a foam roller. However currently got a similar pain which the physio treated today saying it wasn't it band rather the presence of muscle fatigue ( like lactic acid burn) suggests it cold be overuse/ over grinding the gears.

Might be worth considering this. I'm on a few days rest then limiting the next few rides to under 50 to monitor.
  • I've ordered a foam roller in the hope it is simply IT band issues and can be easily ironed out. It doesn't feel like simple muscle fatigue, excusing the initial onset symptoms and rest hasn't made a difference. If it is IT related can this just appear for no reason or might it be fit related?
  • rsands
    rsands Posts: 60
    sure sounds like IT band pain. Bit of physio and lighten the miles/effort for a week or two and let it recover. i got it from too high a saddle over time which resulted in it gradually coming on. With the cold as well I find it comes back easier due to lack of heat out cycling in the muscles..did 2 races last weekend and it never gave any bother as the muscles were warm during the day.

Usually caused by too high a saddle...Best to lower it while you recover. Cleats may be restricting the rotation of the foot. I also found cleats further forward released it a bit but that can cause other problems if you go a bit too far forward
  • rsands wrote:
    sure sounds like IT band pain. Bit of physio and lighten the miles/effort for a week or two and let it recover. i got it from too high a saddle over time which resulted in it gradually coming on. With the cold as well I find it comes back easier due to lack of heat out cycling in the muscles..did 2 races last weekend and it never gave any bother as the muscles were warm during the day.

Usually caused by too high a saddle...Best to lower it while you recover. Cleats may be restricting the rotation of the foot. I also found cleats further forward released it a bit but that can cause other problems if you go a bit too far forward

Thanks for this. I've been fitted to both my bikes in the past and unless something has slipped I'm not sure it's fit related. I'm seeing a physio on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll have more of an idea after that.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Let us know what the physio says, always interesting to hear a professional opinion.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rsands
    rsands Posts: 60
    Just keep in mind the pro fit may not have taken your flexibility, etc into consideration. Also dont forget a pro fitter is fitting you to what he thinks is right...your body speaks to you in a much more detailed way than what someone can see and they feel is right. Only one person will know whats right and thats your body - remember something has caused it to come on and unless you had a fall, injury, etc which caused the injury, it is always good to adjust fit to work with your current injuries. You now have a reduced function so need to insure the current setup wont aggrevate it further
  • Visited a really good physio today (Nichola Roberts at Six Physio Fleet Street) and it seems that my knee pain is due to reduced flexibility in the key muscles of my right leg. I have various stretches and that awful instrument of torture, the foam roller, to do daily to sort out the discrepancies and all should return to normal. I'm very relieved it's not more serious and I should be back riding distance soon.

Nichola gets a big thumbs up here. Very knowledgeable and a keen cyclist too.
  • Stu567
    Stu567 Posts: 1
    Hi,

First post for me.

Glad to here you got some help mistertommyt. I have exactly same problem at the moment with my left knee.

I haven't sort help but self diagnosed an IT band problem myself using 'google' (recipe for disaster!!)

I would be really interested to hear the sort of stretches you physio has recommended.

From what I have read the IT band is really difficult to stretch as its a thick tendon and the key is to loosen the muscles around the hips, which is where it connects. Mine has improved greatly by doing some deep stretches for the hips. i haven't had to stop riding either, just cut back distance and intensity. i have noticed some mild discomfort in my left hip and it is definitely not as fexible as my right side.

Would I be along the right lines from what your physio has recommended?

Stu
  • Stu567 wrote:
    Hi,

First post for me.

Glad to here you got some help mistertommyt. I have exactly same problem at the moment with my left knee.

I haven't sort help but self diagnosed an IT band problem myself using 'google' (recipe for disaster!!)

I would be really interested to hear the sort of stretches you physio has recommended.

From what I have read the IT band is really difficult to stretch as its a thick tendon and the key is to loosen the muscles around the hips, which is where it connects. Mine has improved greatly by doing some deep stretches for the hips. i haven't had to stop riding either, just cut back distance and intensity. i have noticed some mild discomfort in my left hip and it is definitely not as fexible as my right side.

Would I be along the right lines from what your physio has recommended?

Stu

The stretches that I'm having to do are quads, hamstrings and ITB. I am also doing foam roller work on all of these areas as well as the gluteus maximus. The tightness of all of these muscles is what's caused my knee pain.