Track riding/training - advice please!

sopworth
sopworth Posts: 191
Hi
I'm starting incorporating a weekly track session into my weekly training plan. Tomorrow will be my first visit.

My hope is to get a good aerobic, high cadence work out whilst hopefully picking up some additional close bunch riding skills - so my question to others who have or do use a track for training is am I going to achieve my aims?

What can I expect from a good 1:30 session? Is there anything I should focus on to improve my chances in the forthcoming racing season?

Any advice or tips would be greatly received.

Thanks,
S

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    We normally ride a pace line for 10 min warm up then Russian steps up to 8 with a change on the front every lap. A short break then a 10 lap scratch then some flying laps to finish off. Just over an hour to complete and a good work out.
  • sopworth wrote:
    Hi
    I'm starting incorporating a weekly track session into my weekly training plan. Tomorrow will be my first visit.

My hope is to get a good aerobic, high cadence work out whilst hopefully picking up some additional close bunch riding skills - so my question to others who have or do use a track for training is am I going to achieve my aims?

What can I expect from a good 1:30 session? Is there anything I should focus on to improve my chances in the forthcoming racing season?

Any advice or tips would be greatly received.

Thanks,
    S
    I think an experienced racer/coach watching you at the track would be in a better position to provide advice, as it's impossible to judge what proportion of your development needs will be physiological versus technical. Given you are new to it, then basic track riding technical ability is what you should be focussed on to begin with, the physical benefits being a side order dish for the time being.

Just get in there and have fun - with the very first thing being to ensure that you learn the protocols and etiquette of track riding that apply at your local track (there are basic principles that apply everywhere but also some that are track specific). This is paramount for the safety of everyone at the track. Most tracks will have a process for new riders, so make sure you follow their lead.