Wide Rim Chinese Wheels

2»

Comments

• zebwach wrote:
    I have just spoke to Planet X regarding the RS80's. They inform me that the rider max weight limit of these wheels is 100kg and that they have had 0 returns or faulty items. Im not disbelieving advice given to me, but its hard to argue with facts. Im confused again and my hour has just ran out! I may aswel flip a coin!

The world is not black or white... there are many shades of grey... you will find 100 Kg riders who are perfectly happy with their RS 80, as well as others who are not. As I said, they will carry your weight, they won't be stiff enough, but you might not even notice it... they will start falling apart after the warranty period (starting from the spokes) and you won't be able to get them fixed, because they cannot be fixed properly. This is the warning... other than that, they will NOT collapse under your weight.
    If you want a quick read about the rationale for hand built wheels, read here, it's my blog

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... nd-fiction

You ask for advice, you get advice, it's pointless to argue with the advice... you take it or you don't take it... personally I couldn't care less... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • zebwach wrote:
    I have just spoke to Planet X regarding the RS80's. They inform me that the rider max weight limit of these wheels is 100kg and that they have had 0 returns or faulty items. Im not disbelieving advice given to me, but its hard to argue with facts. Im confused again and my hour has just ran out! I may aswel flip a coin!

I am 70kg and I have A23's and RS80's. The RS80's are a great set of wheels but I'd say only for lightweights. I am 70kg and I can get brake rub when I hammer them up a climb. I can also see me needing to true them in a few months

The A23's (built by Ugo) are a great alternative, I use them everyday. They are light, easy to replace the spokes and the wide rims give a better ride. Downsides I have encountered, mounting tyres is a b*tch, keeping the rim tape in place is a pain (buy veloplugs (weight saving too)) and the brake track is narrower than the Shimano making brake set up an initial pain in the a*se.

In my unbiased opinion, get the hand builts.
  • Fulcrum Racing 3s?
  • My hand builts arrive in approx 7 days. I went for the following spec from your advice.

H plus Son Archetype rims. Black.
    Sapim laser spokes all round except for Sapim race spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel. Silver.
    Hope hub. Black
    Don't remember which patter, but it was the strongest and lightest
    Brass nipples.

I hope you approve!? Im quite excited about receiving them!

Thanks for your help guys.

Zach
  • zakstory wrote:
    Fulcrum Racing 3s?

Too late, but thank you for you input.
  • zebwach wrote:

I am 70kg and I have A23's and RS80's. The RS80's are a great set of wheels but I'd say only for lightweights. I am 70kg and I can get brake rub when I hammer them up a climb. I can also see me needing to true them in a few months

The A23's (built by Ugo) are a great alternative, I use them everyday. They are light, easy to replace the spokes and the wide rims give a better ride. Downsides I have encountered, mounting tyres is a b*tch, keeping the rim tape in place is a pain (buy veloplugs (weight saving too)) and the brake track is narrower than the Shimano making brake set up an initial pain in the a*se.

I now use Velox tape on those... Fits like a glove... :wink:
  • zebwach wrote:
    My hand builts arrive in approx 7 days. I went for the following spec from your advice.

Sapim laser spokes all round except for Sapim race spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel. Silver.
    Hope hub. Black
    Brass nipples.

Zach

Yes, although I would use Sapim race even on the rear non drive side
  • zebwach wrote:
    My hand builts arrive in approx 7 days. I went for the following spec from your advice.

Hope hub. Black
    Brass nipples.

Zach

Yes, although I would use Sapim race even on the rear non drive side

Due to the spoke count and pattern I was assured that this configuration would be more than strong enough while saving a little weight. Its all orderd now anyway!
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    i'm giving a positive for chinese! ( stand back and wait to be shot down) but just my experience. had two sets. my last ones from far sports are 50mm clinchers weigh 1350g and i use them every day for commuting, training and sportives.braking is much improved , even in the wet and when paired with swissstop pads every bit as good as alloys in my opinion. i'm not saying they are the greatest wheels but you can pay alot more for alot less performance. up to you how you spend your money and you need to be confident in your purchase. i'm very happy with mine.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    zebwach wrote:

Hope hub. Black
    Brass nipples.

Zach

Yes I own RS80 but if I wanted reliable roadie wheels, I'd get the above! 8)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    riding a bike has its dangers. Equipment failure is not something I would like to take a risk on therefore even though its tempting to deny the brands that invest in R&D and marketing their margin by buying chinese wheels and frames. The warranty issue that some forum members have highlighted is very important for me. If you really want the greatest peace of mind then save up and get some Cosmic Carbones. As Ugo says often, they look great and will have the greatest resale when you realise that they haven't made you go any faster! I have had a bit of experience with Chinese goods recently and I am afraid for me the addage "buy cheap, buy twice! applies.
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    zebwach wrote:

Similar advice from me.

I'm around 74kg's. RS80's are nice and light but mine lost true fairly quickly. Never really noticed them being too flexy. I did have a spoke break on me and it took a mere 3 months to get a spare one. Never again......

I'm now riding some A23's which Ugo sorted out for me after the initial build issues (not Ugo) - mine are spoked 24/28 but I would up this if I was doing it again. I'm using Novatec hubs which are proving to be a little flaky when using them in the wet UK weather. I would advise some heavier duty hubs even if the Novatec ones are superlight for the money.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Light durable, 23mm wide and they are fine for the type of riding you are doing. Aero is overrated - it is important for racing to a point but is no subsitute for fitness and prolonged high power output - the latter is more important.

Ugo, me as well as well as many other wheelbuilding places use the A23 rim and like them although some use like the rim below more.

Also the consider the H plus son archetype rim. A bit heavier (but not by much) but at 25mm deep will be a bit more aerodynamic and will will be stiffer. This rim is 23mm wide as well.

The Velocity A23 rim though comes in an off centre design which makes the use of Miche hubs more viable. Miche hubs are very durable (excelent wet weather durability, I use them) but give poor tension balance on the rear wheel. The Off centre Velocity A23 rim solves this problem.

I would alloy rims for the riding you do it is similar to the riding I do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    I have found them to be OK, went for the yoeleo ones, with upgraded CX ray spokes and upgraded hubs, need to clean out remnants of molding but otherwise great and tbh sound roll and bite wind as well as my (much more expensive brand name here that begins with z). I have a spare pair never used about to go for a song http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222283996554 here in next hour or so...
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez
  • cborrman wrote:
    I have found them to be OK, went for the yoeleo ones, with upgraded CX ray spokes and upgraded hubs, need to clean out remnants of molding but otherwise great and tbh sound roll and bite wind as well as my (much more expensive brand name here that begins with z). I have a spare pair never used about to go for a song http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222283996554 here in next hour or so...

What sort of person resurrects a 3 year old thread to promote their own Ebay sail?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Sitting on the fence and increasing the budget a bit, but I love the RS81 range - had a pair of C50s which did a great job for me, sold them on for a pair of Reynolds Assaults but I wish if kept them - aero, easy to service, really strong, look good and with an alloy brake track.

They weren't light (1800g) but the more I've read the more I realise that the weight didn't really make any difference with noting. I'm hoping that my with the new Dura Ace wheels out now, Shimano will release their RS82 range and I can get another set of RS81s in the sale...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    cborrman wrote:

What sort of person resurrects a 3 year old thread to promote their own Ebay sail?

A sailor?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    BigMat wrote:
    cborrman wrote:

A sailor?

tony-pizzo.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    zebwach wrote:
    On a side note, Im also ordering a carbon seat post. My standard one is 27.2mm with a 31.8mm clamp. The smallest diameter one they supply is 31.6mm. Will this fit my Cube GTC frame?

Hate to state the obvious, but if you have a 27.2 you'll need to replace it with a 27.2.
    The only exception being buying smaller and shimming, which is a crap idea for many reasons.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.