My Modest steed

124»

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    So I've decided I now miss having gears. I'll be upgrading to 10 speed around my birthday. I'm looking forward to it.
  • MountainMonster
    Slight change of plans, again.

I just ordered a new 8 speed rear mech, cassette and chain for the bike. This way I can use the shifters I have and save cash. I've gone with a 11-30t cassette with a medium cage Acera rear mech, whopping total of £25 spent on eBay.

This means I can then cycle properly on my holiday in Austria, rather than being stuck in the mountains on SS. Stoked doesn't even come close to describing how I feel :D
  • MountainMonster
    New rear mech has arrived, same as cassette. I need to pop into Halfords tomorrow and get some cables, and find my old front mech (not necessary for the moment) and get her running. I'm hoping to take it out tomorrow for a ride, first time being able to use gears which will be nice.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "I have a bike built for the purpose I need it to serve, so i'm happy, which is the only thing that matters at the end of the day. "

Absolutely RIGHT! Fun building/modifying, fun riding...and fun is GOOD. Enjoy the holiday.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • MountainMonster
    meagain wrote:
    "I have a bike built for the purpose I need it to serve, so i'm happy, which is the only thing that matters at the end of the day. "

Absolutely RIGHT! Fun building/modifying, fun riding...and fun is GOOD. Enjoy the holiday.

Thanks for the kind words, i'm a firm believer in pleasing myself, not others. My happiness depends on me. And, my bike isn't that bad, it could have a string of trailers! hehe
  • MountainMonster
    Some new pictures:
    IMAG0307_zps283e9881.jpg
  • I've been playing around quite a bit with the position recently to try and get myself completely comfortable. I'm nearly there, but having moved my seat forward a bit which got my back and legs feeling great, I feel like i'm putting too much weight on my arms now. Any recommendations on what to do? I don't want to move the seat back as this is a much better issue to live with than the back issues I was having.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Honestly? If you really want to get it spot on get a bike fit. I had the Specialized BG fit one and it was the best money I've spent on the bike.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I've been playing around quite a bit with the position recently to try and get myself completely comfortable. I'm nearly there, but having moved my seat forward a bit which got my back and legs feeling great, I feel like i'm putting too much weight on my arms now. Any recommendations on what to do? I don't want to move the seat back as this is a much better issue to live with than the back issues I was having.

Raise the stack.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    I've been playing around quite a bit with the position recently to try and get myself completely comfortable. I'm nearly there, but having moved my seat forward a bit which got my back and legs feeling great, I feel like i'm putting too much weight on my arms now. Any recommendations on what to do? I don't want to move the seat back as this is a much better issue to live with than the back issues I was having.

Raise the stack.

I'll give that a try. I had thought about it before, but was worried about the 'not-so-racy' position, but i'd rather have comfort.
  • I've managed to sort the height issues out, but I sat down and had a good measure earlier to see where I could make it more comfortable. I have now bought a Planet-X aluminium seat post for a tener (great deal PX) with no layback to see if that helps. I'm aiming for a ride tomorrow if I get my mudguards fitted in time. it seems to have done the trick for a few other issues I was having.

Next up, cleat placement!
  • Just on the off chance anyone has a cyclocross/commuter bike they are interested in trading/selling please do let me know. I'm going to consolidate down to one bike that ticks all the boxes for me, as i'm certainly not going to race ha!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Just on the off chance anyone has a cyclocross/commuter bike they are interested in trading/selling please do let me know. I'm going to consolidate down to one bike that ticks all the boxes for me, as i'm certainly not going to race ha!

Have a look at Ribbles alu/steel frames. You could probs get the frame and forks new for the price of most decent 2nd hand frames. (plus you get a warranty)

HTH.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    I found one that ticks all the boxes:

ad253a4d240ee9774e05f6ca65084957.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Just on the off chance anyone has a cyclocross/commuter bike they are interested in trading/selling please do let me know. I'm going to consolidate down to one bike that ticks all the boxes for me, as i'm certainly not going to race ha!

Have a look at Ribbles alu/steel frames. You could probs get the frame and forks new for the price of most decent 2nd hand frames. (plus you get a warranty)

HTH.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of Ribble. I just noticed a Trek Crossrip, and it looks like it ticks all the boxes, but i'll see what Ribble have got.

That will be fun, in a straight line!
  • I've now ordered a Planet X London Road in green for myself. I'm trying to figure out what to do with this one. Right now it is a toss up between keeping it here in the UK< and using it once every blue moon, selling it or sending it over to Austria to use as a bike when I am out there.

I'm leaning towards Austria, but I can't make my mind up. I think the decider will be whether it sells at a price which I am happy with.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've now ordered a Planet X London Road in green for myself. I'm trying to figure out what to do with this one. Right now it is a toss up between keeping it here in the UK< and using it once every blue moon, selling it or sending it over to Austria to use as a bike when I am out there.

I'm leaning towards Austria, but I can't make my mind up. I think the decider will be whether it sells at a price which I am happy with.

If I had to buy an all-purpose bike tomorrow, that would be what I chose. I think the green is stunning.

As an aside, I clicked on your link; If you're designing websites for people it would be a good idea to check the spelling on your own:

"Graphic design

Do you need a logo, business cards, stationary templates or any other graphically designed product?"

I'm assuming you mean stationery?
  • keef66 wrote:
    I've now ordered a Planet X London Road in green for myself. I'm trying to figure out what to do with this one. Right now it is a toss up between keeping it here in the UK< and using it once every blue moon, selling it or sending it over to Austria to use as a bike when I am out there.

If I had to buy an all-purpose bike tomorrow, that would be what I chose. I think the green is stunning.

As an aside, I clicked on your link; If you're designing websites for people it would be a good idea to check the spelling on your own:

"Graphic design

Do you need a logo, business cards, stationary templates or any other graphically designed product?"

I'm assuming you mean stationery?

Thanks. I just took delivery of it and got my new London Road set up. No chance for a maiden voyage yet, but the plan is to take it out tomorrow.

Thanks for highlighting the spelling issue there, that will be the American side spelling things differently. Haven't quite picked up on every difference between America and the UK in terms of spelling yet.