My Modest steed

Comments

• Grill wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Bunch of bike snob arseholes in this thread.

In what way? I think everyone who has posted here likes the bike, it's the bolt-ons we have trouble accepting. Would you go out with a hot girl who happened to have had surgery to add a penis because she "likes the function"?

I just can't help thinking that if it was someone like Chris Froome posting a pic of his winter dogma but with more expensive versions of the bolt-ons everyone would be all like scratching their beards and saying "hmmmm...interesting" or something.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Bunch of bike snob arseholes in this thread.

Errr.. you posted in it! :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If anything there would be an even more visceral response for ruining such a bike, and the LOLs would fall like raindrops on a Welsh summer morning.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Let this be a lesson to anyone who reckons that first impressions don't count. I bet nobody would have said a thing if the OP had posted this bike initially without addons, and then a second pic with the comment "and this is what it looks like when I commute on it - lol"*

*aerobars aside!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Eh, once I get my tyres put on my new wheels I will take a picture without most of the stuff so you can see how it is when I don't have to factor work into things :)
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    I like it, you should put more kit on it! Nothing better than rocketing past someone on a far superior bike when your riding a cheaper hack! Even if you have to yack up when your out of sight!
  • DSC00823_zpsf5eacebe.jpg

Alright guys, there is it in non commuter mode. I'm thinking of dropping the stem a bit, i'm sure I can get used to the position flexibility wise eventually
  • Grill
    The aero bars are the true villain in all this...
  • Why are you guys so worried about having aero bars on there?
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Why don't the arm rests have padding?

Is it to save weight?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I love it - aero bars and all :D .
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Why are you guys so worried about having aero bars on there?

One of those velomanti rules state that aero bars are only acceptable if you are competing in a mountain time trial. Otherwise you're a douche bag, or something along those lines.

But really, aero bars are for time trials only. Handling is sketchy, group riding is a big fat no, you can't reach the brakes and it's difficult to see what's going on around you. Occasionally I will head out with my aero bars on but only to make sure I'm ok with the position for a TT and to attack some flat Strava segments.

It's basically a faux pas in road cycling because you could endanger other cyclists around you.
  • Grill

Because they serve no purpose. It's akin to giving a eunuch a condom.
    1. They are less aero on your current than being on the drops
    2. The lack of pads highlights the lack of use as they'd be unbearable after a while
    3. They're dangerous as you have less control (especially weighted) than any other position
    4. You don't do tris or TTs, so they have no business on the bike
    5. It contravenes the rules

This is coming from someone who spends a lot of time on aero bars.
  • I got new armrest pads ordered cause mine were nasty, still need to put them on.

I ride on my own pretty much all the time, minus every now and then with a buddy from here, so they are great for me.
  • What the hell is wrong with some of you people, do you want us all to have exactly the same bikes, exactly the same cars, exactly the same clothes? Of course not, this guy likes what he likes, I can walk around art galleries and think to myself "I like that, that's nice" but I wouldn't have it in the house. Just remember some of you people, he's a biker, we all are, rather than criticising, how about a bit of encouragement? Some will say, bike snobs, I'm not going to tell you what I call them! I like the colour of the bike, by the way.
  • Grill
    Actually I think you'll find he's a cyclist. If he's a biker then I'm sure the OP can find the appropriate forum using the magic of Google. ;)

Read the thread, we all like the bike. I for one like bolt-ons on my hookers, not my bikes.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470

We're not worried. They just ruin the look of the bike, plus with the handlebars so high they probably don't provide any aero advantage. Plus they probably add 500g+ of weight.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • If I was going to worry about weight on this bike it certainly wouldn't be about 500g additions. That just doesn't other me as this is a carrera not some carbon race bike. The bars are comfortable, so I enjoy them.

And Grill, I am actually going to try a few local TT's eventually in the coming months once weather clears up, so I'm trying to get used to tucking into that position before I try going serious. May not be ideal, but ill get there flexibility wise eventually.
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    Stick at it bud, most of us have had an all rounder/ first bike/ one size fits all jobbie at some point, get good on this and you will fly when you get your dream machine!
  • Darn right!

Getting these new wheels has me itching for a ride, the weather needs to get a bit nicer.
  • So all,

After a few rides on this bike I have decided I really need to getmyself a commuting specific bike and leave this just as a road bike. So, I have taken most of the things off the bike that are bolt na, dropped the stem a bit and flipped it, and ordered new matching cages.

The new wheels really livened this bike up, it was truly night and day difference between the wheelsets. Now let the hunt begin for parts for a cheap as chips road bike for commuting.
  • I'm going out a ride this afternoon with a guy who has the very same bike.

As a few have said it is actually a nice looking bike, damn heavy though, so in all fairness the add ons are the least of his worries.

A few wee tweaks and you'll be looking a whole load better
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Grill wrote:

Because they serve no purpose. It's akin to giving a eunuch a condom.
    1. They are less aero on your current than being on the drops
    2. The lack of pads highlights the lack of use as they'd be unbearable after a while
    3. They're dangerous as you have less control (especially weighted) than any other position
    4. You don't do tris or TTs, so they have no business on the bike
    5. It contravenes the rules

This is coming from someone who spends a lot of time on aero bars.

Don't deprive eunuch's of condoms...
  • Thought I would give an update on this bike. I have now ended up building a dedicated commuter bike, so this has had all the extra bits that seem to piss you guys off removed. I've bought a new Selle saddle, and am looking at getting some new bits for it after the xmas season. Hopefully will be getting some carbon forks in the next few weeks as well. Once i'm back in the country I will post some updated pictures.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Don't go crazy spending money on it imo, as before you know it you will have spent more on extras that a better new bike costs.

Iv'e probably done this on my on bike with just replacing bits that drop off :roll:
  • If the ad dons are what he likes then that's fine by me. Some proper bike snobs around here. He's out riding and that's what matters not what some think is right and proper. We can't all have £5k super bikes.

Enjoy it fella!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    If it's your money spend it on what you like. Paint it puke green if you want and sod the 'crusts'. At the end of the day, we are all pedalling. Some slowly, some fast and who cares? Like a hooker with bolt ons - Have fun on it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    If the ad dons are what he likes then that's fine by me. Some proper bike snobs around here. He's out riding and that's what matters not what some think is right and proper. We can't all have £5k super bikes.

Enjoy it fella!

It's a public forum and he has posted his bike up so we have the right to scrutinize or criticize.

I think it's ludicrous that you're buying carbon forks. You can't make a donkey a race horse by adding shinning armor on it.
  • I can't afford a super nice bike, and I prefer projects. After all, once I have all the other parts and I find a nice frame in my price range (or end up buying a Planet-X one new) then I have a great value bike. I don't have 2k sitting around to spunk all at once, and I never really buy new anyways.

I much prefer building bikes up over time than just buying off the peg, that lacks the creative side of things that I enjoy. Plus it gives me something to do in the garage every few weeks.