Last Minute Aerobic training

tandrews8664
tandrews8664 Posts: 97
I know the title of this post kind of seems backwards as normally aerobic is built up first but here goes

Basically due to a fair few injuries my winter training was curtailed until a few weeks ago. I have entered one race so far but only a 40 minute race which went ok, i had the power speed etc. but i am slightly worried as to my aerobic capabilities.

Obviously at the moment i am coping ok with shorter races, but when they start to get longer and more into road racing i don't want to run out of gas, so what are the best options?

I know in an ideal world it would be long 3 hour rides in zone 2 etc. but i can't fit those into my lifestyle

At the moment it will be Tue, Wed, Thu block training, then race sat, long slow ride sunday, or dependning when the race is, short easy ride sat, race sunday.

At the moment i am doing an hourish each of the following:

Tue - High Load (chaingang, sprint etc.)
Wed - Hill repeats
Thu - 4 x 10 or 2 x 20 etc.

So pretty much going full gas tuesday then slowly winding down to thursday

Anyone got any advice on how to get more aerobic work in here or make better use of what time i have?

Any help no matter what from your experiences would be great

Cheers

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I know in an ideal world it would be long 3 hour rides in zone 2 etc.

Would you?
  • Would I?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    There are no quick ways to improve aerobic fitness, it takes time unfortunately. If you can manage 3 hours+ then doing sessions into Z3 will give you good gains, but again they will take time. If you are going to be doing races longer than 2 hours for example, I would suggest trying to find some time to do extended rides, they will help in the long run.