Duathlon training

smoggysteve
smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
I've been training a bit for possibly entering a few duathlon events. What ratio of cycling to running should I be looking at? Currently I am cycling between 100 - 150km per week mainly cos weather has been bad I can't get the mileage down, along with 50km running in 10km sessions. Should I be putting more emphasis on one more than the other?

Comments

• I started competing in duathlons last year and my traing consisted of a week on the bike commuting a 30 mile round trip to work then a week running no more than 10k 3 times a week. I finished 19th out of 75 in my first 13th out of 124 in the second and 25th out out 106 and was really chuffed. The most important part to train is the transition IMO, I did brick sessions around the block where I live. It consisted of 4 150m fast runs round the block then into the back garden for transition and then 6 150m sprints on he bike, the idea being that you are fatigued when swapping shoes and your legs get used to the completely different actions.

Also on the week I did the running I would concentrate on good quality stretching, lunges, unweighted squats and core work.

I didn't find it essential to specifically train for a 10k or a TT as you need to be able to do both really well not exceptionally well, if you see what I mean?

Forgot to add, with the brick training I do run-ride-run-ride-run.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Cheers for the advice.
  • + 1 for brick sessions.

Sounds like you getting enough miles in on both the bike & run, but doing alternate sessions I found really helps me get a good run out of T2. Plus gets you used to the jelly leg feeling where you tend to run slower and re-trains you to run faster and harder.

At the distance your doing would split it out to 2.5Km run/5Km bike/2.5KM run and repeat back to back in a loop say 2 times trying to keep you speed at 5% above race speed.

That does of course depend on the distance you were going to race at though, as if longer you could always do 1 set with longer run/bike/run distance of 75% race distance but +5-10% of race speed.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Depends on the race distance and what your weaker discipline is but do plenty of brick sessions basically.