Food after training/ ride

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
With limited time, work, young kids I've got myself a turbo trainer

Last two nights I've started using it at 30 mins each time
By the time I sort out kids to sleep and onto the trainer its around 8:30-9pm
Do 30 mins steady ride just to get use to it and build up cardio as only just getting to road biking.

Is it bad to eat shortly after exercise/ ride?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Eating after a training ride is perfect timing - providing you're eating the right nutrients
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ^whs
    What you eat may depend on the intensity of the work out
  • p1tse
    Ok thanks
    I wasn't sure but then again with work, coming home, sorting kids out, quick turbo spin and food, not sure if I could fit it in any other way
    Although I don't like to eat so late but have no other way
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depending on the intensity of your exercise, you might just get by with a glass of milk, or similar. Not a good idea to be eating too much that late, as you say.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I'd be more concerned about doing hi intensity shortly prior to going to bed and having a disturbed nights kip due to the body trying to get itself down rather than this spurious idea that eating late can make you fat or some other drivel :wink:
    When racing and having to crawl out of bed at 5 30 am to get sorted and drive (or ride in) to a race and at this time of year a reliability, it is not unbeknown for me to have several breakfasts after 9pm to get the old carb shelves stacked.
  • p1tse
    I have nothing to measure me on turbo, intensity isn't high just spinning at higher cadence

Well I can't fit food in before with kids and timing I get home.

Disturbed sleep from body, I'm to shattered each night lol

Hoping it makes some improvement to when I get out to the road on maintaining speed and duration
  • imposter2.0
    p1tse wrote:
    I have nothing to measure me on turbo, intensity isn't high just spinning at higher cadence
    p1tse wrote:
    Hoping it makes some improvement to when I get out to the road on maintaining speed and duration

Unlikely you will see much - if any - aerobic improvement if you are not riding with any purpose. Didn't we have this conversation in another thread ?
  • p1tse
    Unsure, but I do plan to get into a regime and more of a plan
    For now spinning and working out for 30-60mins at decent rate got to better than nothing
  • imposter2.0
    p1tse wrote:
    For now spinning and working out for 30-60mins at decent rate got to better than nothing

You've already said that you are not measuring it - so how do you know it's a 'decent rate' ? In fact, earlier you said that 'intensity wasn't high'. 'Low intensity' and 'decent rate' are not usually the same thing.
  • p1tse
    Well i meant it in a relative definition
    I'm not grinding out high intensity like a sprint, but I'm not just spinning on low gear, so relative to me I would say a decent rate for me on how fit/ unfit I am as I feel like I'm getting a workout as my legs still ache and start to sweat. In context if running, I'm not walking, I'm not sprinting more like steady jog :)
  • p1tse
    Regardless if some might think its a waist of time, I feel something is better nothing for me and thanks for the replies from original question, ie no harm to eat after work out.

Thanks for your thoughts too.

Now just need to get myself onto a plan
  • imposter2.0
    p1tse wrote:
    Regardless if some might think its a waist of time, I feel something is better nothing for me and thanks for the replies from original question, ie no harm to eat after work out.

Thanks for your thoughts too.

Now just need to get myself onto a plan

I don't think anyone said it was a waste of time - but there certainly seems to be some confusion over the intensity you are/are not riding at. The intensity of the session usually dictates how much you need to replace afterwards - so your food requirements could be anything from 'some' to 'nothing at all'.
  • Sounds to me like he has his dinner after the training cos that's the only time he gets to eat it. Hardly gonna eat 'nothing at all' in that case.