Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

what happened to the unpc joke thread?

24

Posts

  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    MattC59 wrote:
    Interesting that you avoid the question.

    Say your mother was violently raped, had internal injuries and a severely bruised mouth. Explain to me how you would respond to rape jokes.



    As for avoiding the question, care to answer mine ?

    You haven't asked me any questions.

    A question mark denotes a question :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • So, if I set up a thread called "The Joke Offensive Mattc59's mum's been raped non-targeted thread" it would be your fault if you were offended? You're dancing around pretending that if you say "This is offensive!" before coming out with something offensive is a get-out-of-jail card. You're trying, and failing, to defend jokes about rape. What is it about rape that amuses you Matt?

    What question are you claiming I haven't answered?
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    So, if I set up a thread called "The Joke Offensive Mattc59's mum's been raped non-targeted thread" it would be your fault if you were offended? You're dancing around pretending that if you say "This is offensive!" before coming out with something offensive is a get-out-of-jail card. You're trying, and failing, to defend jokes about rape. What is it about rape that amuses you Matt?

    What question are you claiming I haven't answered?

    No, I'd just think you are a bit of a d1ck, as by mentioning my name, it's clearly targeted.

    Here's my previous question : Assuming that, as you referred to my sig, you were suggesting that I was amused by the racist/rape jokes, would you care to point out where I indicated this ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Are you defending racist jokes or jokes about rape? Isn't that targeting minorities or rape victims?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 39,931
    This is far too serious - time for another joke thread. Maybe with a more obvious warning that easily offended, humourless people shouldn't read it in case they get offended.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Are you defending racist jokes or jokes about rape? Isn't that targeting minorities or rape victims?

    Right then, lets recap.

    - You have no idea which jokes I have found funny.
    - I have not once suggested that I am defending jokes about rape.
    - I have not once suggested that I am defending jokes about race.
    - I have not once stated that I find rape funny, neither has anyone involved in the thread.
    - I have stated how I would react if I thought that I may be offended by some jokes in a thread.
    - Your example of a thread about my mother being raped is clearly very targeted, no matter how you try to play it down, as it mentions me by name. The potentially offensive part is also in the title, so there are no layers of warnings to give me the opportunity not to read it.
    - I have stated how I would react to that.
    - I have not danced around the matter, as you suggest.
    - You still, have not answered my question, which is a very simple one.

    In answer to your last two questions:
    What is it about rape that amuses you Matt? - Nothing you Mook, and I haven't once suggested it does. :roll:
    What question are you claiming I haven't answered? - Read the thread, question marks denote..... eeerm, questions, but I have repeated it in my previous post, just in case, which I note you conveniently ignored.

    What you seem to be forgetting is that it's possible to find a joke funny, with out agreeing with it's subject matter. If you base whether you find a joke funny or not, solely on the subject matter, then I feel sorry for you. The joke that I posted may suggest to an idiot that I agree with child abuse, of course I don't. To suggest that I might be based on a single joke, would be absurd.
    I have found some of the jokes funny, some I don't agree with the subject but I still find the joke funny and some I haven't found funny, but havent p*ssed and whined about it because I was given very clear warning that it may be offensive.

    What I was defending; was members rights to post material in a forum marked: "Adults only! Warning - you may be offended!" and in a thread marked : "Warning, contains offensive material", with out idiots moaning and complaining that they have been offended by something buried under two layers of warnings about the potentially offensive contents.

    I stand by my initial statements.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • finchyfinchy Posts: 6,889
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yes, it's been pointed out to me, but is left there for ill informed, pedantic weapons grade tits to point out. :roll:

    That should be "ill-informed". :twisted:
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 14,569
    The fact that the thread title contains a warning is irrelevant.

    Racist jokes are wrong, intolerable and unacceptable whether on this forum or anywhere else.



    Jokes which are either 'offensive' or in 'bad taste' (like Matt's 28 YO joke) aren't the same. No one has a right not to be offended. In fact some people deserve to be offended and its essential to a 'free' society that comedy can offend. It is however up to the owner of the website to decide on what's offensive and what's not.

    Where things get f8cked up and when PC 'goes mad' is when people (like MBC) confuse the 2 separate issues....
    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • tailwindhometailwindhome Posts: 14,569
    team47b wrote:
    Is it not the forum owner's job to get as many views as possible to justify advertising revenues?

    So to alienate/pi55 people off (or even to instruct them to go to another forum) to a point where they leave is counter productive.

    and, yes the 'jokes' were not big or clever but as adults we are perfectly able ignore the bits of the internet that would offend us (the advertising!)

    So how many posters are leaving because they're not allowed to post racists jokes?
    Believe that a farther shore
    Is reachable from here.
    Believe in miracles
    And cures and healing wells
  • byke68byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Am I too late for my popcorn?! :wink:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - censored brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • MonkeypumpMonkeypump Posts: 1,528
    team47b wrote:
    Is it not the forum owner's job to get as many views as possible to justify advertising revenues?

    So to alienate/pi55 people off (or even to instruct them to go to another forum) to a point where they leave is counter productive.

    and, yes the 'jokes' were not big or clever but as adults we are perfectly able ignore the bits of the internet that would offend us (the advertising!)

    TBH, since the farce that gave birth to Bottom Bracket and the subsequent bizarre actions from the modmins, the whole forum has gone downhill. Would be interesting to see actual stats, but I'm sure the sections I read (including Commuting Chat) have become not only less active but also hugely less interesting.

    The non-PC joke stuff was harmless fun, ASFAIC. It was clearly labelled, so easy to avoid (as is the BB). Personally, I think the thread title should be "The only place on BikeRadar likely to raise a smile".
  • The fact that the thread title contains a warning is irrelevant.

    Racist jokes are wrong, intolerable and unacceptable whether on this forum or anywhere else.

    This is rather subjective isn't it? What about 'blonde' jokes then? e.g. 'How many blondes does it take...'. Are they also wrong, intolerable and unacceptable?

    The reason I ask whether that's a subjective view is because, if it is, then surely the presence of the thread title was sufficient to allow people to avoid the thread if they wished to?
  • Do blonde people have a history of being subjugated, attacked and killed for no reason than their hair colour?
  • byke68byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I like Blonde jokes! I posted one on the unpc joke thread but as it has been censored, here it is again -

    Why did the Blonde get fired from the M & M factory?
    Because she kept rejecting the W's!

    Anyone offended? If so, why?
    Cannondale Trail 6 - censored brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • zaneladzanelad Posts: 269
    I've never understood why people expect to go through life without ever being offended. I dont want to live in a world where one can't say anything for fear of upsetting someone somewhere.

    The problem with free speech is that sometimes one hears things that you don't agree with.

    I'll laugh at anything if it's funny. I don't accept that because one finds a joke about gays/blondes/ blacks/Irishmen/ Poles/ or any other "minority" funny makes one a bigot of some sort.

    I think that most people can accept a joke for what it is. If you can't perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to mix with others.
  • wow, so many helmet cam wearing, polly wannabee, grauniad waving, righteous indignationists simply wanting to ban free speech and moan about something. you are not the forum police, its up to the mods. it seems a lot of you deliberatly just trawl around to find something that you can report to the mods just for the self satisfaction it gives you.
  • zanelad wrote:
    I've never understood why people expect to go through life without ever being offended. I dont want to live in a world where one can't say anything for fear of upsetting someone somewhere.

    The problem with free speech is that sometimes one hears things that you don't agree with.

    I'll laugh at anything if it's funny. I don't accept that because one finds a joke about gays/blondes/ blacks/Irishmen/ Poles/ or any other "minority" funny makes one a bigot of some sort.

    I think that most people can accept a joke for what it is. If you can't perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to mix with others.


    The deleted thread contained MUCH more offensive "jokes" than that.
  • Just heard that the contaminated food scandal has spread from Tesco to B&Q - apparently their flooring has got lamminit..highthankyoooo.
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • zaneladzanelad Posts: 269
    The deleted thread contained MUCH more offensive "jokes" than that.

    By whose judgement?

    We're still back at the question of why can't I or anyone else say something that you might find offensive?

    What law protects your "right" to be a prude and have you wishes forced upon the rest of us?
  • The moderators.
  • MonkeypumpMonkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Well, the moderators enforcing the website owners wishes, apparently.

    This was covered extensively during The Advent of Bottom Bracket, and apparently there is no such thing as freedom of speech on a privately owned website.
  • untrue, they had no issue till you reported it by all accounts. have you not got better things to do with your time?
    edit: addressed as consistedof
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 47,248 Lives Here
    Serious discussions belong in Cake Stop.....

    *ahem*
  • zanelad wrote:
    I've never understood why people expect to go through life without ever being offended. I dont want to live in a world where one can't say anything for fear of upsetting someone somewhere.

    The problem with free speech is that sometimes one hears things that you don't agree with.

    I'll laugh at anything if it's funny. I don't accept that because one finds a joke about gays/blondes/ blacks/Irishmen/ Poles/ or any other "minority" funny makes one a bigot of some sort.

    I think that most people can accept a joke for what it is. If you can't perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to mix with others.
    I'm with you on this.

    More importantly you must also be able to laugh at yourself.
    Tail end Charlie

    The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I actually want racists and the intolerant to be able to speak their mind so the rest of us know exactly who they are and what they think, I find it makes it easier to avoid them. Also I take a equally dim view of those self-appointed types who want to determine what I can and can't hear or read, just as suspicious of them as any far right lunatic because give anyone a little bit of control and they'll eventually want more.
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 5,607
    There is a big difference between jokes about race and racists. IMHO.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I think everyone can agree that sometimes a joke can go a bit far but at the end of the day it's not meant to start a war or debate on morals on a cycling website.

    Offence also depends on the recipient. I for example can't run at all or walk too far without discomfort due to an accident that broke both my legs & left me with a limp. I get called Forest Gump in work, is it offensive? Maybe bullying? No? I can take the joke.

    The problem with this one is that the topic was clearly labelled!?! If someone doesn't want to risk being offended they shouldn't follow a link that clearly states could cause offence. I for instance don't want to see anything to do with commuters racing each other to work jumping red lights on those funny fold up little bikes (which I actually like) . Therefore I do not follow the link & because I haven’t I'm assuming what must get discussed in there. Sorry if I'm wrong about what is discussed commuters.

    Sadly the world needs to be a little less PC because we've all lost the ability to have our own opinions on what is acceptable or not.
    Ribble R872
    Specialized Langster Monaco
    Trek 6300
  • well said forrest
  • well said forrest

    Watch it someone else might take offence & have you banned!!
    Ribble R872
    Specialized Langster Monaco
    Trek 6300
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Are you defending racist jokes or jokes about rape? Isn't that targeting minorities or rape victims?

    And despite repeating it when asked, you still refuse to answer my question.
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
Sign In or Register to comment.