The Eurosport cycling schedule

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2013 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    A few interesting races not on the list, like the Tour of Switzerland. I was personally hoping they might show a few of the Belgian semi-classics this spring, but it is hard to complain when there are so many days of coverage over the course of the year.
  • good to see E3 on there but when are they going to wake up and show omloop? the proper start to the classics, always an entertaining race. so much better than loads of the smaller stage races they always show
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:
    Question :- Is this International Eurosport or British Eurosport.
    There is a hell of a difference between the two.

Now that "Analogue" TV has gone I no longer get the International service where the schedule was different.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dave milne wrote:
    good to see E3 on there but when are they going to wake up and show omloop? the proper start to the classics, always an entertaining race. so much better than loads of the smaller stage races they always show

You can watch them here:
    http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/calendrier

(klick on the blue link: "Voir tous les directs" on the right)
  • Thanks for the link.

All going to plan my first child should be born on the first day of Giro and I get two weeks paternity leave.

Should have loads of time to watch it.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Thanks for posting that link Iain.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    deejay wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Question :- Is this International Eurosport or British Eurosport.
    There is a hell of a difference between the two.

Now that "Analogue" TV has gone I no longer get the International service where the schedule was different.
    The German eurosport still available on 19.2e is pretty similar to the International service, but obv with German language (shame, cos obv the International one on Analogue had English comm)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Scotty-Gee wrote:
    Thanks for the link.

All going to plan my first child should be born on the first day of Giro and I get two weeks paternity leave.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
  • Scotty-Gee wrote:
    Thanks for the link.

First of all, congratulations on your phenomenal planning and attention to detail

Secondly, re your last line...ARE YOU MAD, MAN?? :wink:
  • That guide is a load of old poo. February turns out to be completely different.
    Now, UK Eurosport 2 have one hours highlights of the Tour du Haut Var, scheduled for this Friday,
    same as froggie ES.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The good old 1500 hours of tennis...

Many will - undoubtly - think the same about cycling but I have no idea what the fuss about that sport is. It's god awful. It really is. And when they delay the cycing coverage because of a third or fifth set I'm usually losing it completely. So frustrating.

I'd say we should get rid.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    i thought they had the world championships or is that itv4 too?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    They have been delaying the cycling all week for the snooker, which has been broadcast on both Eurosport 1&2 simultaneously at times. It's really annoying but I guess they have to pander the the larger audience share. An 'On Demand' service for Eurosport would be great, or a couple of additional channels.
  • The cold hard fact is that cycling is delayable though.

If there's an attack early on, it can be shown at the start before carrying on with the main coverage. The main gripe each season is when the French Open delays a Giro stage, but often it's a sprinters stage that isn't interesting until the last 10k.

I'm no fan of tennis but a lot of people are, and Eurosport have to work out the best compromise to cater for all their viewers. They do good things during broadcasts like front loading all the ads when there's a big climb coming up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Once I get internet at home I'll update the tv guide sticky.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Highlights of Oman / Algarve both cancelled or delayed several times because of the f*cking Snooker. I can understand football, tennis and maybe even Golf delaying cycling, but who actaully watches hours of live snooker? Its a glorified board game for flips sake.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    trek_dan wrote:
    Highlights of Oman / Algarve both cancelled or delayed several times because of the f*cking Snooker. I can understand football, tennis and maybe even Golf delaying cycling, but who actaully watches hours of live snooker? Its a glorified board game for flips sake.

I think last year, or year before snooker had the biggest audience of anything on Eurosport.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    trek_dan wrote:

snooker :evil: :evil:
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    I'm completely new to watching pro cycling, but after a grand total of four races I'm absolutely hooked. I'd never imagined it was by turns, hypnotic, engrossing and just plain exciting. Each race I've seen has been broadcast on a different channel; last years Tour de France on ITV, the Olympics on BBC, the Tour Down Under on Sky and now the Tour of Oman highlights on British Eurosport.

I was very impressed by the Eurosport commentator, he manged to convey the excitement and passion of a thrilling sprint finish superbly but I'm guessing he didn't have a co-commentator to work alongside because it was just a highlights package and for a live broadcast he would do? It's much more tiring (for us and for the commentator) to be "talked at" for a whole race rather than eavesdropping on a dialogue between two experts. BBC were hopeless but Sky were very slick and professional, as one would expect.

Also, one thing that struck me across all broadcasters, why do they show the final sprint to the line from a head-on camera angle? If you were deliberately trying to choose the worst possible position to put your camera, you couldn't find a worse place!
  • Its a fantastic sport...you'll love it as the season unfolds
  • jane90
    Thanks, I'm sure I shall. Although, I did watch highlights of the TT stage in the Tour of the Algarve yesterday and was much less impressed. Of course I understand that the TT is the essence of pure cycling, greatest test of a rider etc etc but as a pure TV spectator sport it's as exciting as watching paint dry...or watching cricket. The (different) Eurosport commentator was also rubbish and there were no intermediate split times to make it slightly more interesting.
  • TTs split fans. Either love or hate them, it seems. I love me a good TT, personally. The Algarve TT was dull partly because it would have needed a massive mechanical for Tony Martin to have lost, given his opposition and where he was on GC.

If you look back at a TT like the final day of Paris-Nice last year, Wiggins 6 secs up on Westra going into the final TT, Westra 2 secs up on Wiggins at the intermediate timecheck, then Wiggins putting the power down in the second half to beat him by 2 secs. That was pretty exciting.
  • jane90
    Yes, I take your point entirely. I can see the attraction of it but I was really talking in terms of being an attractive TV spectator sport, ie its appeal to a general non-committed audience. I enjoyed Wiggins winning the Olympic TT but in comparison, say, to Marianne Vos winning the women's Road Race, I suspect once you put aside the partisanship and the sheer spectacle of Wiggo winning in front of his home crowd, Lizzie Armistead's ride would have had more newcomers like myself on the edge of their seats.
  • Heck, forget TT vs RR, the womens' RR was a much better race than the mens' RR!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    jane90 wrote:
    I'm completely new to watching pro cycling, but after a grand total of four races I'm absolutely hooked. I'd never imagined it was by turns, hypnotic, engrossing and just plain exciting. Each race I've seen has been broadcast on a different channel; last years Tour de France on ITV, the Olympics on BBC, the Tour Down Under on Sky and now the Tour of Oman highlights on British Eurosport.

I was very impressed by the Eurosport commentator, he manged to convey the excitement and passion of a thrilling sprint finish superbly but I'm guessing he didn't have a co-commentator to work alongside because it was just a highlights package and for a live broadcast he would do? It's much more tiring (for us and for the commentator) to be "talked at" for a whole race rather than eavesdropping on a dialogue between two experts. BBC were hopeless but Sky were very slick and professional, as one would expect.

Also, one thing that struck me across all broadcasters, why do they show the final sprint to the line from a head-on camera angle? If you were deliberately trying to choose the worst possible position to put your camera, you couldn't find a worse place!

Welcome to the game.

And you know what? You got the best waiting for you still. Make sure you have your sundays free in Marts and April. The classics d'icks completely on anything you have seen so far. And that would include Tour De France as well.
  • jane90
    Absolutely. Watching that race was the inspiration to buy my bike in the first place, so thank you Lizzie!

But back on topic of the Eurosport schedule, I don't think it helps the sport to attract new viewers if it's spread across a range of channels. It's hard enough to work out what the schedule of races is, never mind have to hunt for them in three or four different places on your Sky+ planner. Most mainstream sports are very clear on when they happen and on which channel.
  • jane90
    Thank you Thomthom, I'm really looking forward to it. :)
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    link not working for me :|

Can someone post the list on here?

Cheers
  • jane90 wrote:
    Absolutely. Watching that race was the inspiration to buy my bike in the first place, so thank you Lizzie!

But back on topic of the Eurosport schedule, I don't think it helps the sport to attract new viewers if it's spread across a range of channels. It's hard enough to work out what the schedule of races is, never mind have to hunt for them in three or four different places on your Sky+ planner. Most mainstream sports are very clear on when they happen and on which channel.

To be honest, Sky Sports only has broadcast rights for TDU. And the Beeb only cover the Worlds and the major track champs (plus Olys). ITV4 carries the Tour, Vuelta and the ToB, plus the Revolution track series, and the Tour Series in the summer. Otherwise ES is your friend - alternatively links to livestreams from Sporza etc that you can find via hubs like cyclingfans.com or steephill.tv
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Welcome aboard, jane. You're gonna love it. You'll be speaking Flemish this time next year.