I want to measure something whilst on turbo

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
New to turbo training
Being a newbie just wanting to get fit first I just need to put time out in saddle to be honest, but to be able to keep a consistent workout and improvement I would like to measure something whilst on turbo

Ideally I would get a garmin 500 with hrm and cadence but funds don't permit

What's something a bit lower cost that I could use and measure on the turbo?

I know some say speed and distance using a wired computer isn't accurate versus real riding but it would allow me to measure it whilst on turbo for reference, or other?
Anything to link with iPhone 4S etc.?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    p1tse wrote:
    What's something a bit lower cost that I could use and measure on the turbo?

time at effort. all you need is a speedo, a timer and a gear choice.
  • p1tse
    Any recommendations on speedo and timer?
    I have a garmin edge 200 already so didn't really want to spend much on computer when I could put it towards edge 500
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Timer = anything capable of measuring elapsed time. A kitchen timer or a cheap digital watch will do - you probably have something suitable already. Speedo needs to work off the back wheel. Something like a Cateye Strada Cadence would do.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Do you have a computer you can use with the turbo? If so, Golden Cheetah v3 (dev release) is a great free program that will do a lot of the stuff Trainer Road can do. You'd need to buy an ANT+ speed/cadence sensor (£20 for Motorola one from Evans or £16.49 for a Decathlon one) and an ANT+ USB receiver for the computer (Garmin and Suunto Movestick are available for around £25-30). You can also pick up a ANT+ HR strap for £20-30. With these you can measure all sorts of stuff and record your turbo rides and upload them to Garmin Connect or Strava. Depending on your Turbo model you can also measure "Virtual Power". If you can afford £6.50 a month then Trainer Road is a possibility too. You don't actually need a Garmin head unit since the computer records all the data. Alternatively, for your iPhone you could use an app such as Cyclemeter with a Bluetooth or ANT+ speed/cadence sensor to record turbo rides.
  • p1tse
    Sounds interesting that. But by the time I add sensor and USB its circa £50 I might aswell by edge 500 with sale of edge 200 so I can use hr and cadence on road too
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Ebay would get you a HRM for £10 and about the same for a speedo+cadence. I've used these for years now even if they are cheap.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • p1tse
    true probably pick up something cheaper on ebay, but still need an Ant+ usb reciever if for computer

tried my turbo out for the first time in the garage tonight, harder work than I thought, got hotter quick than I thought, so look forward being able to monitor progress and hopefully translate to better miles on the road
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    , got hotter quick than I thought,

Maybe by a nice big fan before you go splashing out on electronics
  • p1tse
    i don't tend to get hot, sweat as quick in general, but this evening on a turbo for 15 mins in the garage, i'm surprised how much of a work out it is.

must dig out the old fan LOL
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm new to turbo too. I've got a borked knee so the aim of my sessions is to keep the stress very low - a hrm is all I think I need. I've a speed cadence sensor for the garmin buts its overkill tbh. If you can't afford a power metre I can't see that anything other than hrm is useful.