The cyclists nod...

Captain Slackbladder
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Being a newbie to the forum i'll apologise if this ones been posted/discussed before but i'm assuming we all do this to eachother on our respective commutes?

Regulars tend to get a 'good morning' with others at least the nod of cycling appreciation.....?

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    yes but not to MTBers or Hybriders.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Regulars get a slap on the arse / grope. Occasionals get a hearty greeting and anyone I don't know gets the death stare.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    erm, not on commute. But on weekend rides, yeah. Unless they're riding a Shimano, in which case they get the finger.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Uh-oh
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Everyone riding a bike properly (no rljs, etc) gets a nod until I get to London. If I continued I'd look weird and get RSI.

However, it's not called the imperceptible nod of recognition for nothing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    Nods are fine, and even a little hand raise is sometimes appropriate, but please don't wave to me when you're hurtling down in a single lane 1 in 6. It makes me nervous.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Regulars get the impercetable nod and the slightest of raised hand just incase they missed the nod.

Random roadies who catch my eye get the impercetable nod.

Black people on bikes get the full war "U cool blud". There aren't too many of us so it is important we acknowledge each other.

Hybrids, MTBs get ignored.

Girls on bikes get the 'pretend I'm not looking' stare...

MsManc (who must be the fittest burd in the Universe) actually gets car drivers acknowledging her pressence on the road, which is something most cyclists fail to achieve. She still refuses to pot a picture.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • There are so few cyclists on my commute that we stop and hug each other.

There are often tears.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    INORs for everyone when I'm riding commute or not. If they don't see it it's because they're not qualified to.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    I ignore other cyclist on my commute as I do to other pedestrians when I’m walking, I also don’t wave to other motorist when driving (unless they upset me), but I do wave to other people in boats when I go pass in one.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    yes but not to MTBers or Hybriders.

yeah...they get empty High5 packets lobbed at them

because the only people riding bikes at the time of the morning that i see are all generally burglars or flashers i normally give them all a look which is a mix of....a hint of distrust an self loathing, with a pinch of sympathy for good measure

there is one guy i have nodded to for the past 2 years with not even a wink or "yo" in return

pesky cyclists, thinking he is all that in his lycra
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    There are so few cyclists on my commute that we stop and hug each other.

There are often tears.

is that tears that rhyme with bears or tears that rhyme with beers...?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MsManc (who must be the fittest burd in the Universe) actually gets car drivers acknowledging her pressence on the road, which is something most cyclists fail to achieve. She still refuses to pot a picture.
    I think you're wrong there. And yes, they were that good.
  • mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:

MsManc (who must be the fittest burd in the Universe) She still refuses to pot a picture.

Whoa there sailor, back the funk up....

where you not the one that caused a stink about the bottom bracket posting pics of chicks?

now you want Mrs Mank to post a picture of her self

you make baby jesus cry
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm that fast I have to wave at cyclists I'm coming up behind long before I reach them (and, after a brief pause, say hello to them) or they'll never get the greeting.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • clarkey cat
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

MsManc (who must be the fittest burd in the Universe) She still refuses to pot a picture.

Whoa there sailor, back the funk up....

where you not the one that caused a stink about the bottom bracket posting pics of chicks?

now you want Mrs Mank to post a picture of her self

you make baby jesus cry

he only joined that campaign so that all the burds would think he was sensitive and he might get some action
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    he only joined that campaign so that all the burds would think he was sensitive and he might get some action

You'd think he'd know better by now about the consequences of getting some action.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    Keep your knickers on. I meant she hasn't posted a picture to show us why she seems to get noticed by cars. I asked her to do this so that we could do the same and improve our safety.

I'm trying to save lives.

Sheesh.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Keep your knickers on. I meant she hasn't posted a picture to show us why she seems to get noticed by cars. I asked her to do this so that we could do the same and improve our safety.

Sheesh.

you make me sick

pig dog!!
  • Depends what mood I'm in. Passing someone up a hill when I'm feeling good gets a hearty "GOOD MORNING". Overtaking someone on a TT gets a quiet "Dig in". Riding with the club, it's nice to greet riders of all types. On my own then a nod. I don't discriminate against MTBs or hybrids but then maybe I'm just nice.

A lot of the time I get no response.
  • DonDaddyD
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sheesh.

you make me sick

pig dog!!
    horse sheep!
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I like to hit them with a soundwave as I pass.

Re MsManc, she has / had a picture on Strava no?
  • DonDaddyD
    BigMat wrote:

Strava has just reported a dramatic increase in traffic to its website...
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Pics on Flickr from the cycling holiday too.
    I'd point you to them DDD but you had a bit of a cry when I hinted at your name on Strava so I don't want to encourage t'internet stalking ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    How do you even know that she has pictures on Flickr?
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How do you even know that she has pictures on Flickr?
    forums.theRealBikeRadar.com, did you not get the memo?

(Alternatively, she was in Morocco cycling a while back, and took pics, and posted them)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I can be quite chatty sometimes. Back in Sarf Efrika cyclists tend to greet each other quite a bit.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Pics on Flickr from the cycling holiday too.
    I'd point you to them DDD but you had a bit of a cry when I hinted at your name on Strava so I don't want to encourage t'internet stalking ;)
    I was trying to keep AlltheDs in suspense and not tell him where they were. At least you haven't given him the password for the beach pics.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I go away for a couple of hours to actually get some work done and I come back to this??

1) I posted the flickr site by accident and I'm certainly not looking my best in those pictures.
    2) I'm no longer blonde either.
    3) It's not my bum that gets attention - rather the class of driver in North Manchester.
    4) I have only been on Strava since Thursday (new work iPhone, see) and don't have a picture on there. Took a couple of QOM's off the only other female cyclist in these parts and she might come and find me.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    If you do see a cyclist on their own in London when you're in a strange place (like going round the back of Exmouth Market or summit), you may nod at them, but only if it's totally and utterly imperceptible.