Advice on building cx bike

2»

Comments

• swap the Conti 4 Seasons for Marathon winters and the weight goes up to about half a ton :D

One day someone will make a good studded road tyre that doesn't weight a ton. Why my preferred Spiker Pros weigh considerably less than the marathon W***ers I don't know. A 700c tyre with, say 240 studs (that stay in) that weigh about 700g isn't too much to ask is it?

The other thing about the w*******rs is that they are so damn hard and uncomfortable could almost be made of wood, except that wood would be lighter. However, going to work in the snow last week, came round a corner to find blue flashing lights an a Policewoman waving me down. You're a bit brave says she and points to 4x4 gone through fence into field. I'm allright says I got spike tyres and she laughs and sends me on my way.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I've recently got a pair of Shimano CX-75 calipers which I'll be trying out. They are quite a bit lighter than the BB7s so I'm quite hopeful.

While I like the idea of hydraulic, I do think that proper full hydraulic solutions are a little way off. In the meantime (IMO) the better cable options, particularly BB7s, so a pretty decent job.
  • Roastie wrote:
    I've recently got a pair of Shimano CX-75 calipers which I'll be trying out. They are quite a bit lighter than the BB7s so I'm quite hopeful.

Hmm look promising, what discs have you gone for?
    Very undecided on the hydrolics,need to have a go on a bike with cable disc to see if they're enough
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Roastie wrote:

They are cheaper than BB7s but is the Shiamno marketing hype of 'Super SLR cable pull' relevant? I plan to use them with older Tiaga 9spd STIs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    redvee wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

They are cheaper than BB7s but is the Shiamno marketing hype of 'Super SLR cable pull' relevant? I plan to use them with older Tiaga 9spd STIs.
    They come without discs. Are they still cheaper by the time you add discs? I haven't looked yet.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I'm pretty sure the differences in cable pull will be marginal.

Not sure what discs I'll use - probably XT, becayse I think they look cool with the 5-arm alu spider (I'll be building the wheels up with SLX Centerlock hubs).
  • Can anyone tell me if the van Nicholas Yukon has mounts for discs brakes?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Roastie wrote:
    159g http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.as ... f=BRCX75FR

Still heavier than my Clarks which are quite capable of putting the bike up on it's front wheel using 2 finger crosstop levers.

I use Alligator discs as they are flyweight (82g for 160mm)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mroli wrote:
    the frame i pick will need to have mounts for gaurds and discs
    Condor Bivio X - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12900064

Lovely looking bike but I've really set my mind to a Ti frame
    It should be a bike I'll rock for the next 5+ years so want something a bit special
  • Order a custom designed Ti frame from Xian. You can specify the exact design including all fittings for a very competitive price. I bought a couple of frames from them about 5 years ago - worked out about £300 per frame at the time plus about another £100 to cover shipping and money transfers. My design was more of an audax style, while my mate wanted a MTB but both been very pleased with the builds.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662
    Just weighed my Volagi Liscio - 8kg (17.6lbs) on the nail with SKS Chromoplastics and Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. Mine differs from stock in that I have wider carbon bars, Di2 Ultegra, Toupe saddle and a couple of carbon bottle holders. My front SKS guard is cut down a bit.
    I've been thinking about this. Its wrong, basically. SKSs are about 500g. Pedals are 300g. Di2 is a bit heavier than normal ultegra. If you believe manufacturer's weights (which are always optomistic), it would be more like 19lb. Even this, at £12k http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... isc-35290/ would be 18.5lb with mudguards and pedals.

Mine's about 21lb I think. Doesn't seem too bad for a cyclocross bike with 25cs and mudguards. It would be 19ish with a decent groupset, decent rotors and no guards. I'll try that on this year's dry day.