MTB doping

dmclite-3.0
dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
edited February 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Is there any need to dope in mountain biking or is it redundant due to it mostly being downhill on gravelly/muddy paths ?

Cheers in advance.
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7jixMCZM8pyMpUmJP6RP9ZctqrgRVUauk_IO8CuBXjH4giqZhWA
  • Seriously?

Ronnie O'sullivan was once banned from snooker for doping, literally dope.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I don't know about "performance enhancing" doping :wink:
  • welshkev wrote:

Nah, being serious here, what with all the crap with road racing at the moment I just thought I'd ask a question. Not trolling. :|
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, it's less prolific, mainly because there's far less money, but it goes on.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is more (was) of just drug taking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Honest answer (The CC is really not the place for these), There is vastly less money in it so the cost/benefit analysis of doping is much reduced. XC racers have to sign up to all the doping controls that the roadies get. They also simply do not make enough to be able to afford a Ferrari or a Fuentes though. That said, Rasmussen admitted to winning his WC whilst doped to the eyeballs and a number of others have been caught. The sort of institutionalised doping that happened/happens on the road though, I think (hope) is not in MTBing.

People are already starting to be caught in amateur Enduro btw...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    welshkev wrote:

Nah, being serious here, what with all the crap with road racing at the moment I just thought I'd ask a question. Not trolling. :|

ah ok, i'll retract my troll then :lol:

i just thought the way it was worded was trying to goad :wink: but yeah i think that it's entirely possible for people to be doping
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    due to it mostly being downhill on gravelly/muddy paths ?
    What the hell have you been smoking?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville_Trail_100_MTB

Have a look at the winner in 2009.
  • due to it mostly being downhill on gravelly/muddy paths ?

I have been smoking mainly Rapha endorsed products, ie full strength unfiltered Gitanes in pale blue Paul Smith signature pure 100% paper from the Gironde. being a roadie I know nothing of MTB and am, in truth, quite disdainful of MTB as it has none of the panache and flair of road cycling. Ciao. 8)
  • FocusZing
    due to it mostly being downhill on gravelly/muddy paths ?

I have been smoking mainly Rapha endorsed products, ie full strength unfiltered Gitanes in pale blue Paul Smith signature pure 100% paper from the Gironde. being a roadie I know nothing of MTB and am, in truth, quite disdainful of MTB as it has none of the panache and flair of road cycling. Ciao. 8)

So basically you are the tarts of cycling.
  • njee20
    I respectfully recommend you piss off back to the roadie forum!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The flair of riding on tarmac for hour after hour. Would drive me to drugs too. Cyanide.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    supersonic wrote:
    The flair of riding on tarmac for hour after hour. Would drive me to drugs too. Cyanide.
    Or LSD and magic mushrooms. At least the ride would be interesting then.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't mention the elephant!
  • njee20 wrote:
    I respectfully recommend you wee-wee off back to the roadie forum!

As a roadie I am free to flounce wherever I want to and so, respectfully backatcha, I will post where I please.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:

As a roadie I am free to flounce wherever I want to and so, respectfully backatcha, I will post where I please.
    No, you're not. This is the off-road part of the forum. You'll just pinchflat your tyres and mash up your rims.
  • njee20 wrote:

No, you're not. This is the off-road part of the forum. You'll just pinchflat your tyres and mash up your rims.

Mash up my rims ? How vulgar. :|
  • FocusZing
    njee20 wrote:

Won't they be missing you in the yellow submarine.
  • Yellow submarine ? Is that some knobbly tired old joke ? (see what I did there ?)
  • njee20
    To be fair, I'm probably more of a roadie than you. But I'm not an idiot. Must be tough for you.
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    ddraver wrote:
    People are already starting to be caught in amateur Enduro btw...

Haha, oh wow. MTB is serious business.
  • ddraver
    s'true

http://singletrackworld.com/2013/01/end ... g-scandal/

(not the source I'd have used ideally, but the only one I could find surreptitiously)
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    S'not amateur though is it? It's one of the pros.

Some businessman did get busted at a (road) sportive in New York.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, was going to mention the amateur Sportive/EPO bust.....
    Mash up my rims ? How vulgar. :|
    Nothing is as vulgar as a man shaving his legs.....except a man waxing them....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ddraver
    njee20 wrote:
    S'not amateur though is it? It's one of the pros.

Some businessman did get busted at a (road) sportive in New York.

Well no one knows (which is nt good). Looking at the reasons why the UCI/National ADA could keep it quiet I think most people is was assumed that it was an amateur rider that owned a shop or something so they kept it quiet as that would unfairly impact his business.

If it was a big name Pro, I think they'd have to tell everyone
    - @ddraver
  • njee20 wrote:
    To be fair, I'm probably more of a roadie than you. But I'm not an idiot. Must be tough for you.

Why would you make such an assumption on such a small amount of info ? You must be ace at evreything, how tedious. :roll:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    njee20 wrote:

Why would you make such an assumption on such a small amount of info ? You must be ace at evreything, how tedious. :roll:

Man, your trolling sucks balls.

I think you've had a lot of practice at it.

...Sucking balls, that is. :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ddraver wrote:
    Well no one knows (which is nt good). Looking at the reasons why the UCI/National ADA could keep it quiet I think most people is was assumed that it was an amateur rider that owned a shop or something so they kept it quiet as that would unfairly impact his business.

If it was a big name Pro, I think they'd have to tell everyone

We all played Guess Who with the facts and the only candidate seemed to be a Kona pro who, I suspect I shouldn't name for litigation reasons. ;) The crap thing about the anonymity is that it leaves innocent parties open to suspicion- imagine seeing a news story "Someone who lives in your street is a rapist!". It ended up indirectly pointing the finger at every french rider in the Maxiavalanche Reunion.

It was a masking substance rather than an actual performance enhancing drug- which can be relatively innocent, or could of course actually be masking. Thing is that at the lower levels of sport, there isn't the medical advice that high level pros get so the riders don't have that much guidance on what they have to avoid. Wouldn't be too hard to innocently screw up.

On the other hand, the punishment handed down was absurd- here, have a 6-month ban, but serve it in the off season. It's like giving a footballer a 2-day ban and letting him serve it between games.
    Uncompromising extremist