What books do you wish had never been made into a film?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Day of the Triffids for me, especially that awful BBC version a few years ago.

Comments

• blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Bridget Jones Diary.

In fact I wish the book had never been made into a book, but at least I can avoid the book. It's not often you get dragged to a library against your will to read a book with someone. Unlike the cinema*.

Or American Pyscho by Brett Easton Ellis. Film just doesn't do it justice.

*To be fair I have dragged the other half to see films.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Slumdog Millionaire

Alien 3
  • Not a book, but a play Little Malcolm and his Battle Against the Eunuchs
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Papillon
  • Northern Lights, from His Dark Materials. 3 cheers they're not making the trilogy.
    tick - tick - tick
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    metronome wrote:
    Northern Lights, from His Dark Materials. 3 cheers they're not making the trilogy.

That's the first thing that sprung to mind with me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes that film was awful - mind you I didn't go a bomb on the book either although I was reading it aloud to my daughter so maybe not the best way to judge it.

I'm going to say the Harry Potter books - good kids films but I can't help but think it's a shame that future generations of kids are going to get the stories from the films now instead of the books - certainly my youngest pair haven't bothered with the books having seen the series on film.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Lord Of the Rings.

But only slightly, they made a really good job of most of it, but they missed things out and put others in the wrong order.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Dune.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The Stand by Stephen King was mad into a dreadful mini-series, low budget, crap.

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, BBC ruined it.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    4 FOOT10 pretty boy Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? Come on!

and Ken Stott was a far better Rebus than John Hannah.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Dreading bloody 50 shades shite.
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Dune.

^^ Yes!

Gorky Park.

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • metronome wrote:
    Northern Lights, from His Dark Materials. 3 cheers they're not making the trilogy.

+1 , read it for the first time last year - made quite an impression.

A great film but the doesnt quite catch the anarchy of the book Catch 22.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tim wand wrote:
    4 FOOT10 pretty boy Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? Come on!

and Ken Stott was a far better Rebus than John Hannah.

Both of those!! !
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    tim wand wrote:
    4 FOOT10 pretty boy Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? Come on!.

This for me as we'll! Haven't actually seen the film but won't out of protest for my love of the books!!
    When the people in charge were having their meetings about who to cast as 6'5" 240lbs Jack, I can't believe that whoever mentioned Cruise wasn't laughed out the office!!

Hugh Jackman, Gerard Butler...even Russell Crowe to name a few!! :evil:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    metronome wrote:

If you have a search for this, the rumour has it that a sequel to The Golden Compass was blocked or at least very firmly discouraged by the catholic church. At the time it came out I wondered how they were going to cope with the rest of the series considering it's storyline. For example, I couldn't see any church being happy with the idea of a senile 'authority' being carried around in a chair, (if I remember it correctly).

For one, I was looking forward to seeing the rest of he series. The wheeled beings in The Amber Spyglass would have been interesting.

The older I get, the better I was.

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Original Judge Dredd film with Stallone.

Destroyed everything the comic book readers held dear in the character.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    The Stand by Stephen King was mad into a dreadful mini-series, low budget, crap.

Apart from Carrie The green mile and Misery, not many Stephen King books are made into great movies TBH.

And no, The shining was not a great movie. Neither was IT or the running man.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Lord Of the Rings.

But only slightly, they made a really good job of most of it, but they missed things out and put others in the wrong order.

+1. I really dont want to see The Hobbit, that for me will be a Hollywood adaptation too far. Three films FFS, why/how??? I take ages to read a book but I managed The Hobbit in two night shifts.

I love the BBC Radio dramatisation of LOTR from 1981 though, much prefer it to the films. I'll need to modernise my audio cassette version so that my Son can have a listen to it.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Dune.

Shouldn't have been a book either. From memory the glossary is bigger than the story.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Mini Ron would like to give a mention to "How To Train Your Dragon". A great series of books by Cressida Cowell, ruined by a Hollywood plot by numbers approach, which just takes away all the suspense, characterisation and edge. Dreamworks fluff!

For me, I'm still not sure about the Larsson trilogy, but one from a similar genre which tips the balance is Smilla's Feeling For Snow, by Peter Hoeg.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    The Stand by Stephen King was mad into a dreadful mini-series, low budget, crap.

Apart from Carrie The green mile and Misery, not many Stephen King books are made into great movies TBH.

And no, The shining was not a great movie. Neither was IT or the running man.

Let's hope they make a decent fist of The Dark Tower.

For me, the Best Stephen King adaption was Stand By Me / The Body.
    The worst was The Shining.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    johnfinch wrote:
    Day of the Triffids for me, especially that awful BBC version a few years ago.

I seem to remember liking the older TV version (1981)...
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Lord Of the Rings.

That would be mine, too. There was much to enjoy in the films, but the things they (wilfully) got wrong tipped the balance much too far in the other direction for me. A real shame to see this first if you've never read the book. The BBC radio series got much closer to the heart of the story.
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Blackhawk Down

As a film it's passable, but the director did not seem to have a clue what he was working with. Stunning book. In fact more than stunning.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Eragon?! Utter Guff. true the book isnt fantastic but the film? No wonder Jeremy Irons offs himself as quick as he can!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Life of Pi.

A book full of imagination and film full of... er... not much at all.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    A Clockwork Orange. The film was OK but hearing the hype of the film led me to read the book and then when I finally saw the film I was underwhelmed by how tame it seemed!
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Catch 22, gives you the full range of emotions, even made me cry laughing. Mike Nicholls fails big time trying to carry Hellers genius writing to the screen
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....