Weight weenie grips - save 100g+ cheap

2»

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I got some ESI chunkies, fitted them as per instructions (IPA inside and on bars) to carbon bars and they seem really solid. Done one ride on them, got damp not wet but havent budged. Time will tell I guess but they are really comfy, they replace SS excels.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Only downside I discovered of Bontrager XXX Lites (and I've not tried with other foam grips) is that riding without gloves on a hot day they are bloody slippery!

Wouldn't be an issue on the ESIs, but I suspect it would be on the Pork Rinds/KCNCs.
  • good info all.

Can I ask how they stand up to getting wet (in terms of slipping)? I'm talking really wet - been caught in long downpours on c2c rides in the past, slipping grips would not be welcome at that point.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Do they soak up a lot of water/sweat?! I would think that if you were riding gloveless and they get wet it would be a bit like putting your helmet back on after stopping, in that they would feel horrible and cold :? Or are they not the same sort of foam as helmet pads?
  • That's why you weigh up what you value in a grip.
  • DodgeT wrote:
    I got some ESI chunkies, fitted them as per instructions (IPA inside and on bars) to carbon bars and they seem really solid. Done one ride on them, got damp not wet but havent budged. Time will tell I guess but they are really comfy, they replace SS excels.

IME the ESI's just do not budge even when soaked. I got mine primarily because of my knackered wrist as i needed some good cushioning. You can save 50 grams or so with foamies but ive yet to experience a more comfortable grip. They are a little slippery with no gloves in the rain so if you never wear gloves i would be aware.

If you need to get them off i have found that a bit of leverage with a flat head screwdriver and a squirt of windowlene or another quick evaporating fluid soon gets em off. I wrap a bit of electrical or duct tape around the screwdriver head to prevent scratching the bars or tearing the grip.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    I suspect it would be on the Pork Rinds/KCNCs.
    Not on my commuter (Avenir, but same part) which I occasaionally ride 'commado' (no gloves by the way!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20 wrote:
    I suspect it would be on the Pork Rinds/KCNCs.
    Not on my commuter (Avenir, but same part) which I occasaionally ride 'commado' (no gloves by the way!).

Oooh saucy
  • The Rookie
    Said the Gyneacolagist.... (? spelling)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Well I found this thread helpful, I wouldn't have considered foam grips but based on the comments here I've ordered a set of Ritchey TrueGrip to see what they are like, only £5 from Wiggle
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I often don't use gloves, just found on one particular ride last year when it was very hot that my grips were particularly slippery, never been an issue normally. Was a bit odd actually.
    Do they soak up a lot of water/sweat?! I would think that if you were riding gloveless and they get wet it would be a bit like putting your helmet back on after stopping, in that they would feel horrible and cold :? Or are they not the same sort of foam as helmet pads?

Not at all, far more dense than helmet pads, which are more of a sponge than a foam. They don't absorb water at all.
  • The Rookie
    Most decent ones are closed cell which means the water can only enter open pockets on the surface, helmet pads tend to be open cell which allows them to compact further.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Interesting to know cheers! Its kind of what has always put me off foam grips! :lol:
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Well the Truegrip's were not what I had in mind so the wife got those, got myself a pair of foam Ritchey WCS grips and they are brilliant, plenty of grip and comfort and are half the weight of my Scott grips can't see me ever needing lockon's again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Same here mate, never go back to lock on grips now, which were 5 times the weight and more uncomfortable, in my case anyway.

One thing I would like to add is I have washed the bike down with the garden hose 3 times since installing the grips and I saturated them then thought, oops, but there as solid as the day I put them on :)