Weight weenie grips - save 100g+ cheap

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey fellow riders.

This post is for all those 'weight weenies' out there intersted in shaving some weight on the cheap or anyone looking for a more comfortable grip option - i've only just discovered light grips :oops:

I don't think you will get a cheaper weight reduction than this, over 100g off for £8.99, bargain, .. I spent £100 on a seat post to save 100 odd gram so £8.99 is great, if only all mods were so cheap !

All the bike needs now is a light rider :lol: am workin on that though :wink:

What surprised me is that the grips are quite solid but with some bounce, not soft foam as I thought, it’s called EVA foam and much nicer to hold onto than the Token double lock-on grips I had.

While the grip part is the same there are now no lock-on bits so I get an extra 20mm (10mm each side) more space so I can shift my controls over to widen my grip by 20mm – happy days.

Its recommended to put hair spray onto the bar before you put the grips on, I went and bought some womans hair ‘gel’ spray rated 5 for hardness and I covered my bars and inside the grips with it, time will tell if it holds well, so far so good.

57146021.jpg
52834059.jpg
22884555.jpg
52011987.jpg
95749041.jpg
77409783.jpg

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I prefer Bontrager XXX Lites, much wider.
  • Anonymous
    Cool thats good to know if I find these too small for me.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'll stick to lock-on's, I watch the weight of my bikes and I just don't see the point of non lock-on grips.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I believe SS has mentioned this approx 47 gabaztripillion times in the past.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i used bar tape on my Scale for a while. Didnt weigh it, but it was def lighter than a grip. Was comfy, but didnt take much of a beating if you crashed the bike.
  • njee20
    I'll stick to lock-on's, I watch the weight of my bikes and I just don't see the point of non lock-on grips.

My grips have never moved, dunno why you'd bother with expensive heavy lock-ons myself!

Bar tape tends to be about 15g a roll IIRC, so not really any lighter considering it's pretty slippery in the wet.
  • Lock on's all the way had grips slipping in hte wet.. drove me nuts! proper nuts for the sake of a few grams :s
  • njee20
    As above, never had it, fit them properly and it's a non-issue!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avenir AGG407 are exactly the same as the KCNC (except the logo) and about half the price, you were ripped off, they are also sold as Titec Pork Rinds. Properly fitted they don't slip.

Not really worthy of a thread, everyone who has looked at it at all already knows it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Worthy as a thread to me because had I have known about this I would have done this mod a long time ago.

I didn't do this for me, its for people who dont already know about it, cant assume everyone is in the know, we were all new once.
  • ESI for me! Amazing grips, light and very comfy. Mine never move, easily on and off with a flat head screwdriver and a quick squirt of window cleaner. I dont find them a hassle or a faff. Perfect for my gripshift too!
  • Anonymous
    Learning a lot today about the different grips out there, not heard of or come across half of these on me travels :D
  • Yeah, I think it's worthy of a thread. Always helpful to see links to specific things people rate and think work well.
  • The Rookie
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Worthy as a thread to me because had I have known about this I would have done this mod a long time ago.
    So how would this thread have helped? There are already similar threads you didn't see, within a day or two this will be off teh front page so you wouldn't see this one either, QED.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    ESI are nice, quite a bit heavier than foam, but they do feel good!
  • Anonymous
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    So how would this thread have helped? There are already similar threads you didn't see, within a day or two this will be off teh front page so you wouldn't see this one either, QED.

I aint got time for small minded folks, if ya got nowt positive to say or share why dont ya keep it shut ?

Last I looked this was a mountain bike forum, to chat about mountain bikes, maybe it should be called The Beginner forum and people only talk about what you wanna talk about ?

Jeez ya come in ere wanting to share sommat ya learned for new folks and ya get this shit !

If the moderators dont think this post is worth thats their choice to take it off, and if thats the case I will go find another forum that wants to talk bikes and mods, am sick of inflammatory posts in ere form people like you who spoil it for the majority.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I love the way you type in accent when you get grumpy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • There is a point to threads like this.Its all about information sharing.Yes there is a search facility but unless you knew that you could save 100g by fitting foam grips would you know to search it out?

It might dissapear from the front page in a few days ,but such is the nature of this forum where there a re lots of lurkers I bet there will be a few that see this that wouldn`t have known.

The more people that share information the more we all learn.

Anyway back on topic, i like the idea of weight saving but I also like being able to remove grips easily. My solution is Pro XCR single sided lock ons. They weigh 85 g,don`t move and have a nice profile being not too chunky for my hands.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use the Bontrager xxx to, best grips I have ever used, absorb quite a bit of buzz. Fix them properly and they don't spin.
  • CubeCrazy wrote:
    CubeCrazy wrote:

I aint got time for small minded folks, if ya got nowt positive to say or share why dont ya keep it shut ?

Last I looked this was a mountain bike forum, to chat about mountain bikes, maybe it should be called The Beginner forum and people only talk about what you wanna talk about ?
    Jeez ya come in ere wanting to share sommat ya learned for new folks and ya get this shoot !

If the moderators dont think this post is worth thats their choice to take it off, and if thats the case I will go find another forum that wants to talk bikes and mods, am sick of inflammatory posts in ere form people like you who spoil it for the majority.

^^^^ This all day long. Same anal idiots every time as well.
  • steady on!

some pretty decent advice also often comes from those you're referring to.
  • The Rookie
    Kirklet wrote:
    [

^^^^ This all day long. Same anal idiots every time as well.
    Crawled out your hole then....

Njee20 could probably put in dozens of such hints, i could ceratinly manage 15-20, SS could trump us all, how many more do you want?
  • Rubber, plastic, aluminium and a bit of steel is heavier than foam. Who'd have thunk it.
  • Your house is very clean!
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Anonymous
    This post is so far off topic, other sites people get banned for going off topic, why is there no moderation in this site ?

Bikeradar.com is totally going down hill, people just arn't gonna wanna come in here and post and any newbies reading these posts certainly arn't gonna want to stick around.

Why people can't just post when its something of interest is beyond me .... :shock:

So have we done with this now or is there more to come because I keep getting emails for topic notifcation and its all garbage.

For what its worth if my grips turn out to be no good or spin on me I would want to referrence back to this post to hear peoples other suggestions, just not the waffle.

Time to start banning people admin ! or everyones gonna jump ship :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is moderation - people need to report posts so the team can look at them. You need to press one of the icons in the top left of the post to alert it and offer your reasoning. The forum is not actively moderated, but re-actively, though we do our best to catch stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Ahh I didnt know that, thanks :)
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    So what would you guys say if the correctly way to fit foam grips? As in, to stop/minimalise twisting?
  • njee20
    Hairspray for me - clean bars, clean the inside of the grip, bit of a spray, then slap it on! Should be solid within a minute or so. Always worked for me on various different grips and bars.

I don't wish this to get back OT, but Kirklet seems to exist solely to voice his stunningly hypocritical opinions. The beginner offers a lot of solid advice, including in this thread! IMO it's posters like Kirklet who are detrimental to the forum, but hey!
  • The Rookie
    I use liquid soap (not washing up liquid) takes a couple of days to dry but once it has it gums grips on nicely, then a wee squirt of water and they slip off!

Recent post with all the info you needed to know
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12871119&hilit=foam+grip+weight
    Detailed info
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12732247&hilit=foam+grip+weight