And so it happens again.....

2»

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    http://uk.yakaz.com/posts/0002c4lvg2dnil8a

Randonneur Frame and forks in Hull!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    I've gone down the 2 lights (at the front) route.
    One very bright pointed down so I can see in dim areas but also that bright that it can be seen from a distance.
    One standard brightness but on flash and level so as to be noticed.
    One very bright at the back on flash and various reflectives and that set up appears to be working. Everything crossed. :wink:
    Assuming that you have sufficient lumens (I see a significant amount of cyclists that may as well not bother) then anyone passing you and left hooking must have been able to:-
    1. See that you were there.
    2. Judge your speed.

Anything else in negligence, or driving without due care and attention.
    Glad you are not suffering too much.

Twin Raleigh RSPs at front and a Smart 1 watt/half watt rear combination - I can see the RSPs reflecting off road signs that are at least a quarter of a mile away from me so, IMO they should be sufficiently bright without being antisocial - they are certainly bright enough to ride on unlit roads at up to about 25 mph. The only half excuse I can think of is if I was overtaken just before hand and therefore became hidden by the other car - but I'm pretty sure the road had empty behind me for the whole length of the straight.
    rubertoe wrote:
    http://uk.yakaz.com/posts/0002c4lvg2dnil8a

Randonneur Frame and forks in Hull!

That looks interesting but it was posted in August last year! Might give it a go though if my current plan B does't come off.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ouchie -GWS, Rolf!

I've noticed that the Philips light that I have mounted on the fork crown jiggles on all but the smoothest Tarmac, and thus draws some attention without being as annoying as a flashing one, and keeps the range-estimation feature of steady-lit.
  • rolf_f
    DrLex wrote:
    Ouchie -GWS, Rolf!

I've noticed that the Philips light that I have mounted on the fork crown jiggles on all but the smoothest Tarmac, and thus draws some attention without being as annoying as a flashing one, and keeps the range-estimation feature of steady-lit.

Maybe I need to start using my TwoFish wobble block mount.......

Anyway, please avert your eyes if you are of a sensitive disposition:

P1120609_zpsac2d9638.jpg
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    well i'm 2 weeks into my broken wrist and still off the bike after my encounter with a bt van.... still typing 1 handed... being 1 handed is an utter nightmare!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,391
    Presumably the cost of getting the bent tubes replaced is more than a new frame would cost. Might be worth looking into.
    Headhuunter, I know exactly how you feel. I'm back into the hospital tomorrow to see about my hand, it's still not right, but a lot better, and it's been over 4 months now.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Rolf,

poor bike!

This is very annoying isnt it?
    "that people, if put in a position of uncertainty, aren't so stupid as to assume that the uncertainty means they can do something"

One way this manifest is on overtaking. I find more drivers are prepared to overtake on blind bends than will overtake on open straights with a car in the distance. It's like they feel what they don't know can't hurt them. Idiots. Obviously its only a minority but you don't need many to cause accidents...
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    jedster wrote:
    [...]

One way this manifest is on overtaking. I find more drivers are prepared to overtake on blind bends than will overtake on open straights with a car in the distance. It's like they feel what they don't know can't hurt them. Idiots. Obviously its only a minority but you don't need many to cause accidents...

True; I note that most put on the magic right-turn indicator, which therefore protects them from harm.
    :roll:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Guys like this?
    http://news.sky.com/story/1051384/woman ... v-released
    Warning - Traumatic scenes of an accident but on Sky News so nothing dodgy.

Hope this guy is found and made to suffer.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    daviesee wrote:
    Guys like this?
    http://news.sky.com/story/1051384/woman ... v-released
    Warning - Traumatic scenes of an accident but on Sky News so nothing dodgy.

Hope this guy is found and made to suffer.

The comments are an interesting read. The motorist was clearly driving very dangerously by overtaking a car indicating and stopped to turn right across their path but there was still more than one person that blamed the pedestrian victims. :shock:
    Boardman CX Team
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Presumably the cost of getting the bent tubes replaced is more than a new frame would cost. Might be worth looking into.

It's a thought I've had but would be mad even by my own standards! It would need top and downtubes replacing plus the forks straightening I suspect (though that's no big deal and I've had that done on them once before) at least. Because it is a 501 frame, the rear triangle is just plain gauge as Reynolds never made 501 stays. So after a lot of expense, it is still a middle rank frame that's one size too large for me.

The only vaguely rational approach is if I used the bike at a Dave Yates frame building course (which I keep mulling over doing) - but even then it makes no sense. Assuming I replaced the rear triangle, the only remaining parts of the original frame would be the seat tube, head tube and lugs. Given the cost of the course, coming out of it with a frame that is basically a bitsa doesn't make much sense. And would it still be the bike it was?

I think all I can do is strip it to the bare frame, polish it and hang it on the wall of the bike den to remind me of idiots....
    DrLex wrote:
    jedster wrote:
    [...]

True; I note that most put on the magic right-turn indicator, which therefore protects them from harm.
    :roll:

I'm not even sure my right turner was indicating.....