Lent - CRAP

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Right, I am going to TRY and give up CRAP for Lent.

Caffeine
Refined Sugar
Alcohol
Processed Foods

I've started a day early and had no caffeine today and I feel terrible. I hope it gets better.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How long does Lent last? Is it longer than say 8 hours?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Oh - I was wondering who had borrowed crap...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Any reason?
  • 40 days without coffee or alcohol.

I'm afraid it would be a bloodbath.

Do crisps count as processed food? If they do then it would possibly be the end of mankind. I'd be the Gollum of savoury snacks... "My prrrrrinnnnnngggggllllessssssss"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cars
    Romanian burgers
    Arctic Monkeys
    Performance enhancing drugs

so far so good.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Lent doesn't include Sundays. You may feel a bit rough on Mondays though.
  • Caffeine - difficult but why would you want to?

Refined Sugar - does that included in other foods, and does that cover any kind of sugar?

P.s. Good luck
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • clarkey cat
    Any reason?

I've never done a 'detox' before and I just fancied giving it a go. Thought might help with shedding some timber too.

There will be a brief hiatus of 5 days in the middle though as I'm only the lash with the lads in Chicago at the start of March.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Seems a bit pointless to me unless you feel it prepares you spiritually for Holy Week.

If you know it's bad, cut it out totally. If that's ridiculous, then so is doing it for a bit.
  • clarkey cat
    I was flicking through a book in the books section in Waitrose called "How to be a lean machine" or something and the guy in the photos was so lovely and handsome and they recommended cutting out CRAP and I thought yea I'll do that.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I cut out alcohol in January. That was gash.

I don't eat refined sugar or processed foods anyway... they make me feel terrible.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    40 days without delicious booze?

Are you head-mental?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • clarkey cat
    I went tee-total for a year once. It wasnt a happy year.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Good luck - I'm doing it too and it will be my third year. I give up:

Chocolate
    Cake
    Crisps
    Sweets
    Biscuits

It's really hard given that I eat those things several times a day every single day but I've always managed it, and last year I put the money I would have spent in a jar, and donate it to a hospice that looked after my mum and dad, which I'm going to do again. (I had no idea just how much I spend on chocolate until I did that). I do it to make amends for being a very bad Catholic for the rest of the year.

I do a very good impression of Mr Creosote on Easter Sunday. It's not pretty.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    I was ******* through a book in the books section in Waitrose called "How to be a lean machine" or something and the guy in the photos was so lovely and handsome and they recommended cutting out CRAP and I thought yea I'll do that.
    I read about the dangers of drink once. So I gave up reading.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    only C & P left for me to give up; Sugar (in coffee and tea) was given up 25 years ago and alcohol 18 months ago.
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Good luck - I'm doing it too and it will be my third year. I give up:

Chocolate
    Cake
    Crisps
    Sweets
    Biscuits

It's really hard given that I eat those things several times a day every single day but I've always managed it, and last year I put the money I would have spent in a jar, and donate it to a hospice that looked after my mum and dad, which I'm going to do again. (I had no idea just how much I spend on chocolate until I did that). I do it to make amends for being a very bad Catholic for the rest of the year.

I do a very good impression of Mr Creosote on Easter Sunday. It's not pretty.

Chocolate+face.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I shot myself in the foot on this one. We were discussing Lent in the car and as a result the wife announced she was giving up biscuits, one kid is giving up sucking her thumb and the other is giving up potatoes (chips, crisps etc). I was feeling pretty pleased until kid 1 asked what I was giving up, to which kid 2 immediately shouted "Wine!".

Buggerybollox.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Caffeine
    Refined Sugar
    Alcohol
    Processed Foods

I've know 2 people (both in their 60s) who gave up booze, smokes etc at a new years.
    One month later raving about how great they feel and how their lives changed forever.
    Two months later ... dead.
    exercise.png
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I shot myself in the foot on this one. We were discussing Lent in the car and as a result the wife announced she was giving up biscuits, one kid is giving up sucking her thumb and the other is giving up potatoes (chips, crisps etc). I was feeling pretty pleased until kid 1 asked what I was giving up, to which kid 2 immediately shouted "Wine!".

Buggerybollox.

'Ah! I only meant white though' you tell them when the inevitable happens.
  • veronese68
    A friend of mine runs a wine shop, posh off licence, and when I asked if takings dropped over Lent he said no. Regular customers would go from having several bottles through the week would change to just having a couple of really good ones on a Sunday. So they were spending the same amount but buying fewer bottles.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Haven't you heard ?

The Pope's quit - so Lent's been cancelled :D
    Misguided Idealist
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Why punish yourself (& your metabolism) by a sudden cut-off? If you're concerned about intake levels, just cut down. Takes a bit of willpower, rather than an annual genuflection to sky fairies/lingering Christmas guilt. CC - must be a high risk of being a one-pot screamer in Chicago, especially with the output of all those nice, Illinois micro-breweries to enjoy. Go for Veronese's approach - better quality CRAP!
  • clarkey cat
    ha ha - I think you're right. Today has been really tough. Just one day without coffee, booze or chocolate... :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    ha ha - I think you're right. Today has been really tough. Just one day without coffee, booze or chocolate... :roll:

Soften the impact with some high quality Charlie.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Why don you just give up 1 letter at a time? No C on Monday but all the RAP you want. Then Tuesday no R but get stuck into CAP etc. :wink:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    well done for trying but to give up all of them at the same time seems like a big ask as the current middle-management weasel words would say.

Having said that I gave up caffeine on a spur of the moment decision in 2008 and haven't looked back; that's right, I've got a rick in my neck :lol: But seriously folks, I sleep like a baby now (and no, I don't mean I shit my pants)
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

Caffeine
    Refined Sugar
    Alcohol
    Processed Foods

I've started a day early and had no caffeine today and I feel terrible. I hope it gets better.

FOOL
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    davis wrote:
    40 days without delicious booze?

Are you head-mental?

+1

Anyway I think his account must have been hacked, the OP is a MASSHOOF pisshead FACT
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    edited February 2013
    I think its very important when giving up any vice to ensure you take up a new one immediately in its place with vigour.

Cycling for me has been that filler if i gave it up i think nothing short of building a rocket to the moon could take its place.