What is logically wrong with eating horse meat?

13»

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    edited February 2013
    there's no pig in hamburgers either, more fraud :D

or is there?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    To all those neigh sayers, I say unto you, whooah. There is no need to giddee up into a panic about horse meat. We've clearly been enjoying it for the last few years and there shouldn't be any issue with the stuff in principle. However, we do need to steeple chase though a few hurdles:

- what drugs have been given to these stallions?

We don't know but from a cycling perspective, Lance will tell you that drugs are not going to hold you back. Furthermore, Alberto is currently launching his appeal to the UCI claiming clenbuterol came from a horse steak not a cow and that all the Spanish abattoir tests that proved he was a cheat were clearly on the wrong animals.

From a non-cycling, marital perspective, the current mare indoors has confirmed to me that she would not complain if some steroids slipped through the food chain if the result was that my manhood grew closer to the size and activity level currently seen in Frankel's stable.

- It's not what is said on the packet.

Does ice cream have any cream in it - No.

- How to maintain standards?

Every racing programme/newspaper shows the form guide, runners, the parents of the runner and the rider. It is therefore clearly possible to have the same - Tesco's finest can show steaks that have been sired by Nijinsky or Red Rum whilst their essentials range will detail the mother as being, Daisy, the three legged donkey off Blackpool pleasure beach. It's better than the current beef system.

As for the rider's parentage - that is a whole different story.

Is it morally right?

When, in the eyes of the human population, the pinnacle of the food chain is the digesting of unborn fish foetus' that started existence as amoeba mixed with Sturgeon's cum, who are we to judge?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    jawooga wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    Are we designed to do this, good question, you decide...

Facial Muscles
    CARNIVORE: Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
    HERBIVORE: Well-developed
    OMNIVORE: Reduced
    HUMAN: Well-developed

</snip>

One of the best posts I've read in a long long time. I wonder if you can provide sources or links to books, articles etc. as this post is a compelling antidote to the usual we're designed to eat meat brigade.

I've not eaten meat in 10 years. I'm aware of the hypocrisy of vegetarian-non-veganism but equally, I think there's a lot of hypocrisy in this horse meat debacle. For sure, you should eat what you expect and there are health concerns, but there's also undoubted hypocrisy in a lot of the uproar of eating horse among those who are happy to eat just about anything else, including as has been succinctly put, low-brow ready meals.

As an aside, I was wandering through the supermarket this evening, and spotted the shelf with an array of meat past and fish past in little jars - f.uck knows what's in those. As a comedian once said... "if there's any word more ambiguous than paste, it's meat."
    And humans have canine teeth for....? Do tell.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    izza wrote:

When, in the eyes of the human population, the pinnacle of the food chain is the digesting of unborn fish foetus' that started existence as amoeba mixed with Sturgeon's cum, who are we to judge?

As this is supposed to be caviar, I wondered where you got the information from because it's wrong on several points. :lol:

Caviar is unfertilized eggs traditionally taken from the sturgeon family of fish. They have never seen 'sturgeon cum' because they haven't been laid yet, and are fertilized outside the body once laid. Having not been fertilized, they cannot be foetuses and I don't think they start out as amoeba.

The older I get, the better I was.

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    [/quote]And humans have canine teeth for....? Do tell.[/quote]

ooh I thought you would be above this kind of sarcasm :D

Canine is a descriptive name (cos they look like dog's teeth) for cuspids you have two kinds, they are for ripping and chewing food.

Non meat eating species such as mountain gorillas have them and horses (back on topic) can have up to five.

Edit. Some humans also have wisdom teeth...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wow! The horse equivalent of Lamb. Anyone up for foal? Pass the mint sauce - this look dobbilicious :lol:

cindersfield31.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • This thread's pony.
  • 100% horse lasange is not contamination it's Horse meat which is a quarter of the price of beef.
    Whats that line - if it's too go to be true then it isn't. Really Tesco? You got your beef that cheap? Turning a blind eye me thinks.
    Just waiting for cat and dog to turn up in the frozen weight watchers meals now. Maybe hamster nuggets or Percy Pigs made from sparrows. Considering what we went through with BSE and the measures in place to track beef, how did we end up eating horse? Profits at all cost, thats how.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Oh dear, it would seem that

indexiq.jpg

is actually

piga.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    arran77 wrote:

indexiq.jpg

That's because all the beef has been going to McDonalds to provide the main flavouring for their chips.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Rolf F wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

indexiq.jpg

That's because all the beef has been going to McDonalds to provide the main flavouring for their chips.......

Ah I see....

693047612253b289fc8ez.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Apparently they've just found traces of Zebra in Tesco bar codes.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Logically? Nothing is wrong, logically, with just "eating horse meat". The most relevant point is that if suppliers are misrepresenting the species of the stuff that is getting into our food, we can't be certain that it's the only thing they've lied about. Issues such as, did it come from a licensed abattoir in the UK or out of a landfill site outside Bucharest?

As an additional point - horse, like pig, can't be either kosher or halal: this matters to some people quite a lot.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I almost hesitate to ask this, but with so much dodgy meat coming via long supply pathways and Eastern European abattoirs, has it been tested for human DNA? :shock:

I know, I've been watching too many gangster films. But, you know...
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I almost hesitate to ask this, but with so much dodgy meat coming via long supply pathways and Eastern European abattoirs, has it been tested for human DNA? :shock:

More like Soylent Green than a gangster film, I'd say.

I am amazed that the manufacturers manage to keep these products so disease-free when they're combining so many different sources. Anyone know what techniques they use?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Ask the ladies (and I suppose in these PC times, gents) how they find the taste of man sausage.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I did hear that "Tesco Value Lager" contains 92% horsepiss.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Graham. wrote:
    I did hear that "Tesco Value Lager" contains 92% horsepiss.

So does any lager!
  • No-one has talked more sense on this thread than our man in Portugal, team47b. I've eaten horse half a dozen times but over the last couple of years I've been a hypocritical faux-veggie.
    If you're going to eat animals should you really be putting them in a hierarchy?
    Of course we're not meant to eat meat. It just happens to taste good, make us feel fairly full and provides the focal point of our cooking when we're not actally that good in the kitchen.
    The only thing meat can give us that plants can't is bowel cancer.
  • are we designed to eat meat? what do monkeys eat, chimps eat it if they can get it?

the horse issue is the shit theyve been injected with. the heirarchy of animals for eating is valid i think. if one serves a purpose other than just being there to gain food from, then it could be considered less justified to eat it. horses were useful for many roles, pigs, sheep and a lesser extent bovines were not (although oxen pulled ploughs)

if it tastes good eat it
  • We are less capable of properly digesting meat that the monkeys.

What can a cat do for you for example? He can get hair everywhere and cost you a fortune in tins of dubious looking and smelling shit. Okay he can catch mice if you live on a farm in the back-arse of nowhere.

One of the reactions to the horsemeat thing here in France was that it was just typical (essentially) English hypocracy. Non horse munching countries have been exporting horses or horse meat to anyone that will buy it for years. Now people get on their high horse because dobbin is man's other best friend.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Dicky1986 wrote:
    We are less capable of properly digesting meat that the monkeys.

What can a cat do for you for example? He can get hair everywhere and cost you a fortune in tins of dubious looking and smelling shoot. Okay he can catch mice if you live on a farm in the back-arse of nowhere.

One of the reactions to the horsemeat thing here in France was that it was just typical (essentially) English hypocracy. Non horse munching countries have been exporting horses or horse meat to anyone that will buy it for years. Now people get on their high horse because dobbin is man's other best friend.

Well it was a bollox reaction then, wasn't it. Nowhere have I seen it said that horsemeat being found in meat products advertised as beef is wrong because horses are so nice and useful. It's wrong because the products are advertised as beef.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Dicky1986 wrote:
    We are less capable of properly digesting meat that the monkeys.

What can a cat do for you for example? He can get hair everywhere and cost you a fortune in tins of dubious looking and smelling shoot. Okay he can catch mice if you live on a farm in the back-arse of nowhere.

cats arnt delicious though
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Maybe not, but sometimes they are purrfect for a small snack.