Parts that just will not die

2»

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716

I wish I had that problem! Everything is going on me at the same time at the moment, brake pads, bottom bracket, jockey wheels ... all in time for my first race at the weekend!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I wish my mechs lasted long enough for worn jockey wheels to be an issue!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Greer_ wrote:

I wish I had that problem! Everything is going on me at the same time at the moment, brake pads, bottom bracket, jockey wheels ... all in time for my first race at the weekend!

If you race regulary as I used to about a century ago you will find that the friday night before every race gremlins will nip into your shed and inject rust into every bearing, loosen spokes, turn headset bearings into solid lumps of metal, fiddle with your gears so they dont shift and let your tyres down.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I wish my mechs lasted long enough for worn jockey wheels to be an issue!!

This is on a bike thats used for commuting and pottering about on. The proper bike is on its 3rd mech in 2 years so your not alone :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Whats the score with mechs then, my giant terrago commuter is used in all weathers and still on the original deore rear mech 11 years later wheras my full sensor has needed a new one after a year of abuse ......
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    stubs wrote:
    If you race regulary as I used to about a century ago you will find that the friday night before every race gremlins will nip into your shed and inject rust into every bearing, loosen spokes, turn headset bearings into solid lumps of metal, fiddle with your gears so they dont shift and let your tyres down.

Well I'm trying to race regularly this year. My room at uni looks more like a bike workshop than a bedroom :lol: Currently got the bike in pieces hanging in a stand, while I try and sort this all out!

Any ideas what would cause the brake pads to have ridges? (as in the disc isn't using all the brake pad, and there's 5mm of the pad higher than the rest) I was told I needed a shimano mount of the same size as what I have but I'm not convinced. Nothing else has changed bar the callipers (Shimano M596).
  • tarbot18 wrote:
    Whats the score with mechs then, my giant terrago commuter is used in all weathers and still on the original deore rear mech 11 years later wheras my full sensor has needed a new one after a year of abuse ......

Rocks... big faffing rocks...
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    All of my old Apollo was bulletproof. I mean... it was crap, but it was bulletproof.

7 years of 10-15 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, no maintenance, no cleaning, no anything, just kept going. crap, heavy, useless rubbish, but a trooper
  • stubs
    tarbot18 wrote:

Rocks... big faffing rocks...

and tree stumps thats what wiped out my last mech and half a dozen spokes
  • Got some Gusset Jury forks that have done 10 years of trials, jumps and trails with myself and some friends (I lent them out). Apart from looking tatty doing fork grinds, they are fine still! Compared to my Curtis forks which lasted a measly 2 weeks and costs double the money....