Parts that just will not die

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Sometimes parts just keep on spinning and working when they should be in the bin. As an example an XT bottom jockey wheel its now more of a shooting star than a cog and the bearing seals disappeared a long time ago but with a regular blob of chain lube it keeps on spinning.

8462252504_a6b7397169_c.jpg
P1020462 by fastmongrel, on Flickr
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Ive still got my original front wheel on my commuter bike a giant terrago it does about 2000 miles a year in all weathers gets covered in salt water and sand from the coast and i just spray a bit of lube on when it gets noisy, wheras my rear wheel on my full suss is crackered after a year.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Superstar Pedals. Been to hell and back on them, down to minus 10, through snowdrifts, 3ft deep river crossings, smashed them off any number of rocks and tree stumps, struck them against metal, blasted them with hoses and muc off and they're not even rough and have no play after 3 years of this abuse.

Not been opened once!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    4603826327_f0e58d81df_b.jpg
    Posted the bike a few times before but at 25 years old, it still has it's original wheels (hubs and bearings serviced but never changed) BB and chainrings, cogs, mechs, shifters etc.
    Only bit's changed have been tyres, chains, pads as they do wear, and saddle (because the original was really uncomfortable), pedals and stem/bars. And the stem still has it's original elastomer, still going strong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My commute bike has a pair of silver PD M747 SPDs on it and attached to those pedals are a pair of 41yr old legs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wheels. gears and brakes and the bars and seat post are new.

644_42862333170_3977_n.jpg

by new i mean not original.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Front wheel on my commuter was bought used (Shimano M475/Mavic 117), I serviced it when I bought it and since then it has done over 3000 miles, each time I check it, it's perfect so never removed it. Rear wheel is similar, paid £4 for it wuth 2 broken spokes, been through a stack more spokes (nipples corroding) in the 2500miles I've had it but never had to service the M475 hub. Who needs cartridge bearings!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Still have original Tioga Wonder Dawg tyres on 1989 Claude Butler Pagan. They will not wear out.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    ive got a panaracer spoke front tyre that must be about 20 odd years old that still is only 50% worn - so thats still more tread than a wet scream maxxis! and a suntour xc comp rear mech thats 24 years old no play works great
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • My 2008 Wellgo B54 pedals, they're on their 2nd frame now ! They've had so many rock strikes there's hardly any black paint left, still smooth as the day I fitted them though, I want a pair of red superstar nano's but it looks like I'll be waiting a long time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still have original Tioga Wonder Dawg tyres on 1989 Claude Butler Pagan. They will not wear out.
    They aren't wearing out, they are work hardening!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My Avid Juicy sevens refuse to die.
    I haven't bled them in two years. The lever bushes are a bit worn but other than that they are great. They have done three seasons of downhill racing in BDS and a few Megavalanches and alpine trips and a couple years on my XC bike. By modern standards they are a bit rubbish but nowhere near as bad as the internet would suggest they should be. Maybe I got the one good set!
  • Still have original Tioga Wonder Dawg tyres on 1989 Claude Butler Pagan. They will not wear out.
    Got some tioga psycho 2's on an old bike, must be nearly 20 years old and still running strong
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Got a couple of charge spoons that I've had a couple of years, my superstar DH wheels and hope pro II on DT EX500 wheelset are pretty good too. Not had many parts that haven't broken though...

Oh apart from my Sunday frame, 7 years old, given it a bit of TLC and it still works fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I usually change parts before I break them or wear them out completely,but a few have lasted, kept performing and just refused to give in!

I had a set of Shimano DX Flats, 5 years use, never serviced and just plain neglected, never had any issues, only reason I removed them was I preferred the thinner and wider nano techs I fitted to a new bike.

My old Kinesis frame from '06, battered paint, thousands of miles, and 6 years service before retirement, a fantastic xc bike which I kind of out grew as I got more adventurous and quicker downhill, but I'm contemplating stripping the paint of it, giving her some fresh decals and building it back up to use at home on tamer trails, which would free the 456 for pure DH duty. Have had some awesome rides on the maxlight and I just bring myself to part with it and I will probably keep it for years.

My Royal LS jersey my Dad got me in 2009 I think from JE James before a weekend riding in Edale, 4 years old looks tatty as hell, but its comfy, warm, fits perfectly and it will continue to do so, despite the new Fox one I got for Crimbo, it's just not the same!

Finally I had a set of Panaracer Dart/Smokes 2.1's, tan sidewalls of course, which were well over 10 years old when I first used them, and I still say they are possibly the best tyres ever. The Smoke died a few years ago after I rode it home with a flat and ripped the sidewall apart, but the Dart is still sat in the garage and will probably go on the maxlight if/when I re-build it.
  • ilovedirt
    lawman wrote:
    Finally I had a set of Panaracer Dart/Smokes 2.1's, tan sidewalls of course, which were well over 10 years old when I first used them, and I still say they are possibly the best tyres ever. The Smoke died a few years ago after I rode it home with a flat and ripped the sidewall apart, but the Dart is still sat in the garage and will probably go on the maxlight if/when I re-build it.
    I think I just heard the sound of the entire retrobike forum community let out a little cry :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ilovedirt wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    I think I just heard the sound of the entire retrobike forum community let out a little cry :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Got a couple of charge spoons that I've had a couple of years, my superstar DH wheels and hope pro II on DT EX500 wheelset are pretty good too. Not had many parts that haven't broken though...

Oh apart from my Sunday frame, 7 years old, given it a bit of TLC and it still works fine.

I had a set of DT Swiss EX500's and found them to be really soft. I ended up with loads of rim dents in Both wheels. To be fair though I'm having the same problem with my Nukeproof Generator race rims
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    that just reminded me ive got a carbon nuke proof frunt hub still running, the rear hub flange cracked last year but the front is still good. proper 90's stuff they dont build em like they used to...
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Shimano Exage rear hub... Banging out the miles for 20 years and counting, now bolted to a turbo trainer. My leg needed a rebuild faster than the hub did.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Northwind wrote:
    Shimano Exage rear hub... Banging out the miles for 20 years and counting, now bolted to a turbo trainer. My leg needed a rebuild faster than the hub did.
    Got a pair of those, still on the bike in my pic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • on the forum we got a part...

Called Cooldad.. he is really old but we just can't put him over the edge in the crudcatcher... :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

I had a set of DT Swiss EX500's and found them to be really soft. I ended up with loads of rim dents in Both wheels. To be fair though I'm having the same problem with my Nukeproof Generator race rims
    I put a flat spot in one of them after a big crash, but replaced the rim (couple of years ago now) and I've literally had no problems at all since then.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    on the forum we got a part...

Called Cooldad.. he is really old but we just can't put him over the edge in the crudcatcher... :lol:
    25795470.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The current human death rate stands at just 93% you know- maybe you're one of the 7%
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad wrote:
    on the forum we got a part...

25795470.jpg

We must perform, tests... invasive tests!
  • cooldad
    You don't have a good invasion in you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Got a Trek 850 circa '94 with original tyres that went across Canada and been used every week since. Rear tyre swapped to front but still no need to change it.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Sounds a bit like Triggers broom that does.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    edited February 2013
    Got a Trek 850 circa '94 with original tyres that went across Canada and been used every week since. Rear tyre swapped to front but still no need to change it.

A 19 year old tyre! Bet it has the grip of a teflon coated ice cube
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • It does have a certain speedway element to it.
    Voodoo Hoodoo