PEDs, Match Fixing & Aussie Sport

2»

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    ddraver wrote:
    "mid 1990's and 2000's" So right over the Sydney Olympics then!

Flippin nora there was ne'er a sport that Australia did nt win then!

"As a result of the magnitude of the inquiry, the federal government has doubled ASADA's (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority) resources to tackle this issue."

Good to hear!

They could of course be following the Spanish example and investing in particularly expensive brooms and carpets. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,958
    Are we agreed that this isn't an aussie thing and more or less all pro sports have this issue?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Are we agreed that this isn't an aussie thing and more or less all pro sports have this issue?

It's not about cycling, it's not about Australia, it's not even just about pro sport. It's a widespread mess and you have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

So yes, agreed.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    What the hell are image enhancing drugs? Some sort of beer goggles that work on other people? I want some.
    PIEDs (performance and image enhancing drugs)
    Laugh about this quote but remember that a certain cyclist "Image" is (hopefully) going down the Plug Hole.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

I follow a good cricket blogger on twitter who wrote about how it was important that now this was out in the open that it was time for cricket to take a hard line to make sure that doping didn't get a foothold in the sport. To me this is symptomatic of the naive attitude that many other sports have on the doping issue.

Despite it's relatively sedate pace, Cricket can be very tough on the mind and the body. Imagine having to try and stay alert for a game lasting 5 days, often in very hot temperatures Fast bowlers in particular of have to play through injuries. I would be amazed if drugs don't already have a foothold in cricket and in many other sports, they just haven't woken up and smelt the coffee in the way that us cycling fans have had to.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)