PEDs, Match Fixing & Aussie Sport

Comments

• Oh no. Not the NRL.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Oh no. Not the NRL.

*faints with shock*
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    "mid 1990's and 2000's" So right over the Sydney Olympics then!

Flippin nora there was ne'er a sport that Australia did nt win then!

"As a result of the magnitude of the inquiry, the federal government has doubled ASADA's (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority) resources to tackle this issue."

Good to hear!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Please be Glenn McGrath, please be Glenn McGrath

(It won't be Glenn McGrath)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

Please be Willie Mason, please be Willie Mason (it will definitely be Willie Mason, based on nothing more than my "pee in the cup" list.)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95 wrote:

Please be Willie Mason, please be Willie Mason (it will definitely be Willie Mason, based on nothing more than my "pee in the cup" list.)

So really that's Wee Willie Mason?
  • ddraver
    David Campese!!! Come on David Campese!!!
    - @ddraver
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Bah - well done the Aussies. In their own inimitable competitive manner, they have taken other countries doping action and done it better and wider. Maybe cycling cleaning up its act will be a catalyst to sport cleaning up its act.
  • The focus in the Aussie papers seems to be more on the AFL side of things. I'm pretty surprised by it to be honest, especially knowing Australia's obsession with sport and fair play, etc. They're definitely going to crack down on it proper, as pointed out by mroli above.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,905
    Strip them of all their Rugby Union wins including world cups over that time and re-write the record books to show English wins in all the Ashes series. It's the only fair thing to do.

I'd love to see such a wide ranging investigation in sport in the UK, it would shock a few outside cycling to realise how bad other sports are I reckon. I remember one international rugby team being described as looking like Orcs on steroids, there could be a reason for that and that is where I'd start :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I had a lot of ruby playing mates in the late 90s as it went professional and there used to be a lot of talk about how people were bulking up.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    typekitty wrote:
    The focus in the Aussie papers seems to be more on the AFL side of things. I'm pretty surprised by it to be honest, especially knowing Australia's obsession with sport and fair play, etc. They're definitely going to crack down on it proper, as pointed out by mroli above.

You lost me at fair play :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQRERykq5M
  • Pross wrote:
    Strip them of all their Rugby Union wins including world cups over that time and re-write the record books to show English wins in all the Ashes series. It's the only fair thing to do.

I'd love to see such a wide ranging investigation in sport in the UK, it would shock a few outside cycling to realise how bad other sports are I reckon. I remember one international rugby team being described as looking like Orcs on steroids, there could be a reason for that and that is where I'd start :wink:

It would be hilarious if 20 years of British Rugby League soul searching and recrimination over why we couldn't beat them was explained away at a stroke. I think our inferiority complex would evaporate immediately. Could be really good for the game!

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,952
    Seems pretty safe to assume if a sport is professional it has doping and other corruption problems.

Why wouldn't it?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,952
    Might have to go new sincerity on sport for a bit.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    What the hell are image enhancing drugs? Some sort of beer goggles that work on other people? I want some.
    PIEDs (performance and image enhancing drugs)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • What the hell are image enhancing drugs? Some sort of beer goggles that work on other people? I want some.

Put me down for some as well. oh hell, lets buy in bulk for the forum.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    What the hell are image enhancing drugs? Some sort of beer goggles that work on other people? I want some.
    Botox?
    Basically anything Shane Warne has taken in the last 10 years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    :D:D
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi wrote:
    typekitty wrote:

Surely you don't expect me to sit through nearly 9 minutes of cricket :P
  • ddraver
    Last ball of the match, Kiwis were batting and needed a small number of runs to win the game. The Aussie Skipper instructed the bowler to underarm roll the ball along the wicket thus making it impossible for NZ to score any runs thereby ensuring a Mearrvlous victory for 'Straya (sic)"

Australia was roundly considered to have cheated or at least played despicably by the world of cricket. I'm not sure but I think the rules were changed to prevent such an occurance happening again!
    - @ddraver
  • typekitty wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    typekitty wrote:

Surely you don't expect me to sit through nearly 9 minutes of cricket :P

Look, its just like watching a really short ITT ride. You can do t :)
  • ddraver wrote:
    Last ball of the match, Kiwis were batting and needed a small number of runs to win the game. The Aussie Skipper instructed the bowler to underarm roll the ball along the wicket thus making it impossible for NZ to score any runs thereby ensuring a Mearrvlous victory for 'Straya (sic)"

Australia was roundly considered to have cheated or at least played despicably by the world of cricket. I'm not sure but I think the rules were changed to prevent such an occurance happening again!
    The rules were already in place to prevent it from happening but the tournament organisers, inexplicably, left it out of the tournament rulebook.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    RichN95 wrote:
    Botox?
    Basically anything Shane Warne has taken in the last 10 years.

is he asking for a refund like?
  • to be fair, the Warnie-Hair-Retention-And-Regrowth plan must have taken a fair bit of juice
  • ddraver wrote:

Straya is correct, and I don't doubt any of it! Amazing how quickly things change if you get the advantage :P

In all seriousness, Australia's identity is rooted in sport and fair play, especially at a grass roots level. It comes from being the constant underdog I suppose, and always trying to give it your best, is good enough. (I think, as far as Olympic sport goes, that has changed – they expect to do well and if 2012 was anything to go by, their arrogance is almost on par with the American's.) Anyway, with AFL, it's so insular, there is a particular pride with doing your local team (usually based in the suburb you grew up in) proud and being the best club in Australia. Drugs have never come into it so this whole malakey comes as a huge shock. BBC analysis explains what I'm on about much better:

"Australia loves sport and hates cheats, and these allegations offend a strong, ingrained sense of fair play. Australians like winning, for sure, but not at all costs."

Now, where's my beer...

ETA: told off for a comment about the kiwis...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It's worth watching that clip to the end just to hear Richie Benaud's comments again.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    It's worth watching that clip to the end just to hear Richie Benaud's comments again.

Cricket fans should watch that and punch their chests in pride - irrespective of nationality - although, they won't, of course: they might gently nod their head or manage a semi (smile)...

Can you imagine Bert and Ernie ever having the intellectual capacity (or financial non-involvement) to call out the Tour riders during their commentary?
  • ddraver
    everytime I hear him now I just hear the twelfth man - in someways it has re-ignitied my interest in the game, but in other's it's totally ruined it!
    - @ddraver