Silly Commuter Excuses

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
So, just why aren't you on the bike today?
Illness, no bike or some other pathetic excuse?
Why don't you have a nice big mug of MTFU, and get back in the saddle

Me?..........erm, I have man-flu........it may be terminal ;)

Comments

• pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    I've got a bit of swarth stuck in the crease of me arse. Luckily I've got the next two days off so no need to ride the bike. Maybe it'll make it's own way out :?
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Swarth? I'm guessing that's a euphemism for a body part?
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Google says that swarth is a third studio album by Australian technical blackened death metal band Portal. I reckon I'd definitely know about it if that was in there.

I meant swarf, which is smaller but still hurts a bit.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Dog eat my tyres....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Bristol to Essex is too far to ride. Shameful, I know. :(
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Being treated to dinner at Dockmasters in the Wharf... a delicious, expensive excuse.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    The missus won't let me cycle from one room to another...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hit the long-standing target of 5000+ miles in a year last year. There's nothing left to prove.

CBA to get up at 6:40 on a cold dark winter's morning to ride 20+ miles to work these days.

The rice-paper tyres that were included with the wheels I bought back in December puncture every time I venture out in the dark or wet.

Battery & connectivity gremlins with the Di2 have left me with no firm belief that I'll have working gears if it rains when I'm out.

Getting up early to ride to work in the near certain knowledge that I'll have a puncture and be miles from home without gears has taken the gloss off it - I have no faith in it any longer.

It's actually quite pleasant wafting to work in the car.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CiB wrote:
    Hit the long-standing target of 5000+ miles in a year last year. There's nothing left to prove.

CBA to get up at 6:40 on a cold dark winter's morning to ride 20+ miles to work these days.

The rice-paper tyres that were included with the wheels I bought back in December puncture every time I venture out in the dark or wet.

Battery & connectivity gremlins with the Di2 have left me with no firm belief that I'll have working gears if it rains when I'm out.

Getting up early to ride to work in the near certain knowledge that I'll have a puncture and be miles from home without gears has taken the gloss off it - I have no faith in it any longer.

It's actually quite pleasant wafting to work in the car.

Burn Him.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Knee playing up after too long off the bike due to my accident. So I'm gradually building up my cycling to get my strength and fitness back. Currently riding two days a week and get a lift off a neighbour the other three.
  • CiB
    rubertoe wrote:
    Burn Him.
    Burn the f****ing bike if you like. I've had enough.

:)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Roastie wrote:
    Bristol to Essex is too far to ride. Shameful, I know. :(

Shame on you....

fooking hell thats a commute, even in the car!!
  • CiB wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Burn Him.
    Burn the f****ing bike if you like. I've had enough.

:)

I'll swap you for my Tricross.

Oh no, wait... it's dead reliable. I'll pass. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    CiB wrote:
    ...Battery & connectivity gremlins with the Di2 have left me with no firm belief that I'll have working gears if it rains when I'm out. ...

Anyone else had this? I have to admit that it was my first thought when I heard that electric shifting was being introduced. Given that I still get occasional drivetrain issues during the winter on a fixed my gut-feel is that the idea is flawed (as well as being pricey)!

Cheers,
    W.
  • CiB
    edited February 2013
    CiB wrote:
    ...Battery & connectivity gremlins with the Di2 have left me with no firm belief that I'll have working gears if it rains when I'm out. ...

Anyone else had this? I have to admit that it was my first thought when I heard that electric shifting was being introduced. Given that I still get occasional drivetrain issues during the winter on a fixed my gut-feel is that the idea is flawed (as well as being pricey)!

Cheers,
    W.
    Suppliers (LBS) are adamant that they've never seen this and that of the decent number that they've sold no-one else has had problems. Maybe no-one else uses the bike in all weathers and did 3 & half thousand miles in 7 months before it went dodgy. I doubt it though.

Shimano claim them to be watertight and they are - it's been in some downpours in its time with no issues. The plug & socket arrangements that connect the system are a close fit where the plugs lock into place against a soft rubber base at the bottom of the socket. If the locking action fails the connection isn't watertight. That's what I deduce from my set-up and its failings. It's a shame because when they work they work brilliantly, and The Next Bike will have Di2 but built in with internal not external cabling. It might be that the replacement part has resolved my problem with it, but like I said, cold dark mornings, Continental Ultra Sports that puncture at the sight of a thorn 20 paces away... No thanks. I'm for the easy life at the minute. Planning to ride in tomorrow though; it'll be interesting.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Legs hurt, nose is still a bit blocked after operation, heinous headwinds and gusts... never a tailwind

I'm still cycling.. you nancy's
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Had a cold last week - still commuted on the bike. Went away for long weekend, so back to work yesterday. Bike has flat. Have to run some errands, go shopping etc after work so took car. Must mend tyre and MTFU, but I don't feel too guilty as I am off work next week and planning some countryside pootling and pub stops.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Would have today but need to go home (10 miles) first, pick up sprog and missus then back down to N Shields all within 1 hour.
    Maybe tomorrow..................
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    It's my rest day :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    CiB wrote:
    The Next Bike will have Di2 .

Mebbe you should try EPS? :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    My workmate has told me that if I work late (and qualify for a cab under the firm's policy) that if I tell the cab company when ordering my cab, they'll let me put my bike in the cab. I've done that a couple of times now (sad face)....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No excuses. Not ever :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    Someone is sticking a needle into my knee every time i put pressure on the pedal. It's off-putting so i'm getting the train for a few days and smashing back the ibuprofen...
  • I'm in Geneva for a couple of days...
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Less chance of dying.
  • CiB
    and then wrote:
    ...but like I said, cold dark mornings, Continental Ultra Sports that puncture at the sight of a thorn 20 paces away... No thanks. I'm for the easy life at the minute. Planning to ride in tomorrow though; it'll be interesting.
    I give up. Up at 6:40, everything ready to go so shower etc, set out for the first proper commute this year (two aborted so far due to punctures) and WTF? 3 & half miles before the comedy tyres give up this time. It is cold though, and a bit damp, so not a surprise running tyres made of bog paper. What did I expect? Double-digit miles between flats? Tat. Utter sodding tat. This is on a busy main road, not some decrepit back lane used by a tractor and two Land Rovers every other weekend.

Continental Ultra Sports have to be the worst tyre known to man. I did 5000+ miles last year on Mich Pro 3s, had a couple of flats at most probably - I don't remember any TBH but no-one gets through a year without a flat so I'll claim two. I buy some nice new wheels with these Continentals included in the price in December and it's genuinely a flat every time it rains. No wonder they give them away - no-one with any working brain cells would buy a second pair, and mine certainly aren't going to wear out - they're in the f****ing bin as soon as I get home tonight.

Thanks Continental for making the most useless chuffing tyres on the planet. That's three times I've set out and three times I've had to walk back or disrupt the morning routine back home by having to make the phone call. Your tyres are crap.
  • rubertoe
    That is very annoying CiB, I really do feel your pain.

get some new rubber and get back at it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Why on earth haven't you replaced them if they are so rubbish?!

Rubino Pro's!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/vittoria-rubino-pro-3-folding-tyre/vitttyrf610

Do not buy Continental GP4000s' if punctures are annoying you :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • CiB
    pangolin wrote:
    First time - everyone has a flat occasionally.
    Second time - oh that's a nuisance
    Third time = bin. Which is where we are, as of 7:22 this morning.

I'm off to blow £60 on tyres in a while. At least the gears worked nicely for the whole 00:14:38 duration of the ride, so not all bad.
  • rubertoe
    CiB wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    First time - everyone has a flat occasionally.
    Second time - oh that's a nuisance
    Third time = bin. Which is where we are, as of 7:22 this morning.

I'm off to blow £60 on tyres in a while. At least the gears worked nicely for the whole 00:14:38 duration of the ride, so not all bad.

Every Cloud...

Have a a look at the rubino's £36 a pair and get good reviews. When the roads stop being so crap, tis what I plan on getting to replace the marathon plus.