UCI Shocker! Pat Does The Right Thing

2»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    micron wrote:
    iainf I imagine you guys have looked into the murky funding of GCP?

Of course - But it's not exactly a money machine, is it?

The UCI don't really make any money off anything but the Worlds.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Loans from UCI to GCP to be repaid through prize money? Plenty of opportunity to be creative :wink:
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    The UCI has a portfolio under its umbrella for governance etc:

Road (I assume you're just talking road as you specifiy pro cycling)
    Track
    MTB
    Cyclo cross
    BMX
    Trials
    Indoor cyling
    Paracycling

So when you do away with all those overheads like an expensive building, staff - that kind of 'luxury' - that covers all these branches of cycling...What happens to all the rest?

Can be run by there federations. Lots of other sports do this. The federations are closer to the end users and are more aware of what is required.
    The UCI, in its current form, is merely window dressing, a platform for little dictators to build there own personal empire and spend there time protecting there backs.
    Power corrupts, etc etc etc, and the UCI have been too corrupt for too long.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    National federations? Sorry, but how do national federations organise things like world championships and stuff? Looking at MTB (just becasue development of new "codes"has happened a lot more recently), the establishment of an official world cup or championships (under the UCI) has led to the growth of that discipline and the formalisation of it into a specific sort of race. EnduroDH is going that way soon, in fact people are already starting to be done for doping in it! Alternatively you have the slightly farcical situation that exisits in 24hr racing where the US, Australia and Europe all haev their own "world Champion"

It may not be the UCI, but cycling (and to be honest, all sports) needs an International Union of Cycling somewhere.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    ddraver wrote:
    National federations? Sorry, but how do national federations organise things like world championships and stuff? Looking at MTB (just becasue development of new "codes"has happened a lot more recently), the establishment of an official world cup or championships (under the UCI) has led to the growth of that discipline and the formalisation of it into a specific sort of race. EnduroDH is going that way soon, in fact people are already starting to be done for doping in it! Alternatively you have the slightly farcical situation that exisits in 24hr racing where the US, Australia and Europe all haev their own "world Champion"

It may not be the UCI, but cycling (and to be honest, all sports) needs an International Union of Cycling somewhere.

What I an saying, not very eloquently I know, Is that the the national federations get there heads together, when need be, to organise there international events, doping control etc.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    hmm yeah, still sounds like a UCI to me, I accept that it might not need a massive office in Switzerland though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    ddraver wrote:
    hmm yeah, still sounds like a UCI to me, I accept that it might not need a massive office in Switzerland though...

Exactly. No politics, no jobs for the boys and no cash wasted on big offices and expense accounts.
  • Mike, it doesnt work like that. You have to have an umbrella body. The body has to employ staff - a considerable number - and they have to be housed somewhere. The umbrella body reports through to the IOC, and has to ensure compliance across the sport with a raft of WADA codes and rules.

Besides, I think you lump the entire UCI as Fat Pat and the dear honourary Pres, Evil Hein. Its not. Many of the people working for the UCI are decent hard-working people who care very much about the good of cycling.

And back to national feds: you think there's no corruption, no shadiness, no jobs for the boys? Afraid it exists in nat feds. Just one example: take a look at USA Cycling and the top peoples role in protecting Armstrong.
  • (have changed title to reflect those momentous times when the UCI do the right thing)

They've amended part of their No-Needles policy

Window for riders racing after receiving a corticosteroids inject, extended from 48 hours to 8 days

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1
  • mike6
    Mike, it doesnt work like that. You have to have an umbrella body. The body has to employ staff - a considerable number - and they have to be housed somewhere. The umbrella body reports through to the IOC, and has to ensure compliance across the sport with a raft of WADA codes and rules.

Besides, I think you lump the entire UCI as Fat Pat and the dear honourary Pres, Evil Hein. Its not. Many of the people working for the UCI are decent hard-working people who care very much about the good of cycling.

And back to national feds: you think there's no corruption, no shadiness, no jobs for the boys? Afraid it exists in nat feds. Just one example: take a look at USA Cycling and the top peoples role in protecting Armstrong.

I hear what you are saying but the powers that be are fond of telling us "Oh its not as simple as that" when things quite often are.
  • Here is an interesting interview with Sean Kelly on the subject of transfer fees for the smaller feeder teams like An Post.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/ ... ams_276424

It is interesting that the UCI are finally going to act on the suggestion of Kelly. However, they haven't the decency to acknowledge Kelly's input.

“UCI is currently working on such a transfer system to be put in place in 2014, but this will come out from the Professional Cycling Council and not from a Sean Kelly proposal,” a UCI spokesperson said in an e-mail."

U.C.I. w@ankers. Bradley Wiggins' interest in placing a rider or two with An Post is noteworthy too.

DD.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Surdave Brailsford said the same thing a month ago

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... in-cycling

Maybe he and Kelly have been talking. Seems a very sound idea.

And that wording about it being nothing to do with Kelly is standard Fat Pat petulance