Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited March 2013 in Pro race
and says the right things too

World Series of Cycling booted into the long grass

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/ ... ved_274151

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Now if he could just sort out the damned points system! Dunno about you guys but I don't actually think there is much wrong with the races themselves. This crusade to re-brand and re-formulate the racing seems odd to me - it's not just the UCI though (De Ronde being the prime example!).

By all means sort out the associated activities like funding for races, media coverage, rewards/points just not the races themselves.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Hmm saw the tittle and expected the long awaited resignation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Something isn't right. Surely some splinter group from within the UCI should be releasing a press release about how much they disagree with the decision.

Otherwise, good job UCI.
  • andi1363 wrote:

I know. Bit of a teaser to draw you all in... :)
  • Has he resigned yet?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Has he resigned yet?

No it was just RR faking an orgasm (on the rest of BR's behalf!)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • andi1363 wrote:

Didnt see this before I posted. My thoughts exactly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    andi1363 wrote:

I was thinking ritual suicide.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    WTF would he resign? Because a bunch of people on the internetz think so?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • EKIMIKE
    The internetz makes revolutionz now don't-chu know.

Twitter-Egyptian-Revolution.jpg

Oh... right. Sorry. Another piece of raging Twitshit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,175
    iainf72 wrote:
    No, because a stockings salesman says he should.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    I smell money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Why cant people just say 'Internet'. 'internetz' is cringeworthy.

Pat should resign as he is incompetent and there needs to be fresh blood in a sport which is supposedly coming through to a new era. I'm sure a poll of those actively involved in the sport would lead to a sub 50%.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    No, because a stockings salesman says he should.

I know things are different in Welsh wales, but

Stocking

stockings.jpg

Wot Jai-lookat-Meeee sells

galleryimage-2102719683-dec-15-2011-600x515.jpg
  • I feel truly sick now
  • Why cant people just say 'Internet'. 'internetz' is cringeworthy.

Pat should resign as he is incompetent and there needs to be fresh blood in a sport which is supposedly coming through to a new era. I'm sure a poll of those actively involved in the sport would lead to a sub 50%.
    It's how the cool kids roll Frenchie ;)
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

Wot Jai-lookat-Meeee sells

galleryimage-2102719683-dec-15-2011-600x515.jpg
    Yeah, that's what passes as stockings in the St Mellons branch of Tesco.

St Mellons Tesco: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8484116.stm
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    iainf72 wrote:
    his

No, because he is incompetent, hopeless and helpless. Possibly even complicit in helping to hide or turn a blind eye to doping, or assisting his predecessor in doing so.

I am a cyclist and a BC member and I believe the only way forward for cycling is to dump the UCI. They are only interested in so called "Globalising" of cycling, to attract more money, and care little how they do it.

Pro cycling should do what football did, when forming the Premiership, and split from the UCI. The sponsors would follow and the UCI would be left high and dry. An expensive, office based, self serving management is not necessary in cycling. The races have there own promotion companies and the teams generate there own cash. The amateur side of the sport is left to its own devices anyway so there would be no difference there.

Wasting money on a big office bound expense account management is wasteful and un-necessary.
  • RichN95.
    mike6 wrote:
    I am a cyclist and a BC member and I believe the only way forward for cycling is to dump the UCI. They are only interested in so called "Globalising" of cycling, to attract more money, and care little how they do it.

Pro cycling should do what football did, when forming the Premiership, and split from the UCI. The sponsors would follow and the UCI would be left high and dry. An expensive, office based, self serving management is not necessary in cycling. The races have there own promotion companies and the teams generate there own cash. The amateur side of the sport is left to its own devices anyway so there would be no difference there.
    So basically, you're saying get rid of the UCI because it is probably only interested in globalising and money and replace it with something that is certainly only interested in globalising and money.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,895
    Why cant people just say 'Internet'. 'internetz' is cringeworthy.

I thought it was all the fresh blood in the sport that caused all the trouble in the first place or was it re-cycled blood? All this science confuses me!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,570
    'twas mostly recycled, though does EPO count as new blood?

This quote was most telling: "The UCI wants to develop the WorldTour with new races, in new places, so to speak, in major commercial markets, and we want to work with people who can help us do that."

So more races in China operated by the UCI?
  • Who'll know the answer? Oh I know

*paging Dr Ferrari...*
  • EKIMIKE

It's kind of ironic condescension. 'Cringeworthy' is a desirable outcome. It's cringeworthy that a relatively small but loud mass of people on the internet think they can effect real world change by furiously mashing away at their keyboards. (Although, it's a lovely notion.)

That's my point at least.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    The thing about WSC was that it gave price's gifted group control over the teams - gifted would essentially sell their services back to the races and pocket the profit. Don't think pat liked the thought f anyone else making money out of the teams but him : :wink:

Should the calendar be streamlined, though I.e. sort out the obvious clashes like P-N? Personally would like to see far more integration of the women's sport along the lines of te recently announced Aussie model.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:

It's kind of ironic condescension. 'Cringeworthy' is a desirable outcome. It's cringeworthy that a relatively small but loud mass of people on the internet think they can effect real world change by furiously mashing away at their keyboards. (Although, it's a lovely notion.)

That's my point at least.

I suppose it is lost over the keyboards...

I hear often people having a go at people who have strong opinions on change - it is just an opinion. I suspect only a small minority think they have huge influence on the machinations of our sport with what they say on this forum. That being said, voicing an opinion on here or in blogs, twitter etc is not by any means useless.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    micron wrote:
    The thing about WSC was that it gave price's gifted group control over the teams - gifted would essentially sell their services back to the races and pocket the profit. Don't think pat liked the thought f anyone else making money out of the teams but him : :wink:

Because Pat makes money off of races now?
  • EKIMIKE
    That being said, voicing an opinion on here or in blogs, twitter etc is not by any means useless.

Absolutely not. It just requires a stepping out from behind the keyboard and into real world action to effect real world change- CCN is a prime example (whether successful or not).

The integration of women's cycling would be a definite positive and it's definitely possible for many races. My gripe would come if for example every race ended in a circuit, like they've done with Flanders and if every stage race had one on those silly little 'sprint off's' like we've seen a rarely but increasingly (leave it to the track boys). That's obviously not the case at the moment but you can see it happening if they smell money.

For me, If they really want to generate money (which is a legit aim) then the obvious step is to sort out the broadcasting, not change the contents of the racing. No harm in shuffling the calendar either, especially if it helps towards the broadcasting aims.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    RichN95 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

So basically, you're saying get rid of the UCI because it is probably only interested in globalising and money and replace it with something that is certainly only interested in globalising and money.

Exactly. Why waste tons of cash on a jobs for the boys UCI when it can be done properly within cycling and the money stays in the sport, to be used for the good of the sport.
  • The UCI has a portfolio under its umbrella for governance etc:

Road (I assume you're just talking road as you specifiy pro cycling)
    Track
    MTB
    Cyclo cross
    BMX
    Trials
    Indoor cyling
    Paracycling

So when you do away with all those overheads like an expensive building, staff - that kind of 'luxury' - that covers all these branches of cycling...What happens to all the rest?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    iainf I imagine you guys have looked into the murky funding of GCP?