Help me go 2 x 9 !

2»

Comments

• TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Finally fitted all my new bits yesterday : 9-speed 36t XT middle, XT chain, 11-34 SLX cassette

Had to spend a while filing down the tabs on the XT 36t to fit it to the middle position on the M442 chainset, but seems to be OK now.

Despite a couple of people saying that the 3x9 Front Mech shouldn't need adjusting, I did have to move it up slighty to be able to use the whole cassette in the 36t - there is actually a groove on the inner plate that lets the chain go up to the biggest sprocket at the back - this was positioned for a 32t ring so the whole thing needed to go up by about 2mm.

First tests up and down the road are quite encouraging - 36-34 (new big-big) doesn't feel as different to 32-34 (old middle-big) as I was expecting. Dropped the chain off both sides of the chainset, so may need to tweak the limit screws a bit. Should be interesting on real rides. Might have to consider a lightweight bash if I keep loosing the chain outwards.

The whole bike also feels lighter, which I wasn't really expecting to notice, but this will be compensated for by the extra tools and chain-links I'll be carrying around on the first few rides!