Shimano v Campagnolo

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "I am getting ready to go out for dinner. Traditional Scottish I think.
    Langoustines followed by venison haunch and then cranachan, finished off with a few malts. Lovely!"

Ooh, that sounds yummy!
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Rolf F wrote:
    True - but more intersting is the question - is there anyone in the universe who has Campag on their winter bike and Shimano on their summer bike?

Me. When I realized that Campag had not polished the backs of the 1999 Record cranks, and had put plain bearings in the jockey wheels (Record again) and felt the clunky gear change, Dura Ace took top spot. If you look at Campag's current limitations and recommendations on use, you realize they are building for the ornamental market. Ultra-torque is a terrible idea on paper and -based on anecdotal evidence (of which there is much)- no better in practise.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    pliptrot wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    True - but more intersting is the question - is there anyone in the universe who has Campag on their winter bike and Shimano on their summer bike?

Me. When I realized that Campag had not polished the backs of the 1999 Record cranks(1), and had put plain bearings in the jockey wheels (Record again) and felt the clunky gear change (2), Dura Ace took top spot. If you look at Campag's current limitations and recommendations on use, you realize they are building for the ornamental market. Ultra-torque is a terrible idea on paper and -based on anecdotal evidence (of which there is much)- no better in practise (3).

1. ...and you said later on "...they are building for the ornamental market" !!
    2. ...Could not have been set up properly
    3. ... I have found the Ultra-Torque as smooth as silk and very direct. You can't really compare Ultra-Torque with Hollowtech as they work on the exact same principle of torque transfer.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Can you provide some of this anecdotal evidence please? Links etc?
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Rolf F wrote:
    Personally, I think Shimano is fine in its place - which is on a mountain bike!

Oh come on Rolf, hybrids surely :lol:

Personally I am sure all of the big three's offering work perfectly well, but my affiliations are obvious

....and I find Ultra-Torque very good indeed.....so there!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    3. ... I have found the Ultra-Torque as smooth as silk and very direct. You can't really compare Ultra-Torque with Hollowtech as they work on the exact same principle of torque transfer.

Care to explain any of that? I imagine all chainsets are direct, and I always believed comparing things working on the same principle was easy.