Shimano v Campagnolo

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
As silly threads seem to be okay these days...... :wink:

Shimano V Campagnolo

Thoughts?
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• i'm still struggling with me 3 speed chopper. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Just get Ksyrium Elites.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    i'm still struggling with me 3 speed chopper. :lol:

Three speed!?

My chopper is fixed gear.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    schweiz wrote:
    My chopper was yellow.

From what Heidi tells me, your chopper is now black and blue.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    You stay away from Heidi, she's still teaching me to yodel!
  • SRAM.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    This is Wiggles fault..
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I have campag centaur and veloce.

Was looking at some bikes in LBS today with Shimano 105/ultegra and dura ace fitted, what really struck me was how ugly the shimano groupsets are, especially the shifters and chainsets.

Worst of all were the Colnagos looking embarrassed in their ugly shimano outfits, really shouldn't be allowed.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    GGBiker wrote:
    I have campag centaur and veloce.

Was looking at some bikes in LBS today with Shimano 105/ultegra and dura ace fitted, what really struck me was how ugly the shimano groupsets are, especially the shifters and chainsets.

Worst of all were the Colnagos looking embarrassed in their ugly shimano outfits, really shouldn't be allowed.

Agree that the campy does look better. However I saw the Dura Ace Carbon Chainset in Hargroves, Southampton yesterday and that looked pretty damn good.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • daviesee
    RIGHT!
    Stop it. Stop it now!
    Campagnolo or Campag. No other denominations are allowed, especially Americanisms.

They are clearly the best though. Just cos.... :wink:
  • pinno
    I wasn't going to bite but I could not help it.

I fitted a Dura Ace groupset for a friend. So silky smooth. However, after 6 months of decent use, it became pernickety as hell. Took lots of frequent minor adjustments to keep it running smoothly.
    I sold a 8 speed titanium Campag groupset in 2008 (most of one). It was on the winter trainers and had 'bedded in' beautifully - after th0000's of miles in all conditions. It was smoother than the day I fitted it.
    I was converted to Campag by a bloke in the early nineties but this coincided with the ability to actually afford the stuff.
    If I was serious racer with silly money, I would buy Shimano for its silky smoothness and probably replace the lot annually.
    Now I am on 11 speed record/super record and its just sublime. Have to keep the gears as clean as possible but thats the same for Shimano too. My current groupset will go on to my winter trainer. My winter trainer has the record 10 groupset that was on the summer steed. The record 10 is in its 4th year and I have not replaced a jockey wheel or chainring or any of the bearings. Campag is just that harder wearing, the bearing surfaces are much better and hence the longevity. I am pretty confident that I will not be buying another groupset for a long time and I always know that I get a bit of re-sale value for the old Campag that Shimano does not have.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Agree that the campy does look better. However I saw the Dura Ace Carbon Chainset in Hargroves, Southampton yesterday and that looked pretty damn good.

NO NO NO!!!!

It is not bl00dy "Campy", you plastic Yank, it's Campagnolo (with the middle bit pronounced correctly) or "Campag", pronounced to rhyme with, er, nothing really. Hard "g".

And those new 4 prong Shimano DA chainsets on Colnago disk fitted bike that they keep advertising are utterly, utterly hideous.

PS: I ride Shimano, Sora, 'cos that's what it came with
    PPS: I did a huge and fully serious thread about Campag vs Shimano vs SRAM on Road Beginners

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daviesee
    SecretSam wrote:
    PPS: I did a huge and fully serious thread about Campag vs Shimano vs SRAM on Road Beginners
    This thread was meant to be a light hearted dig at the PC v Mac threads :wink:
    But carry on if you want....... :lol:
  • pinno
    daviesee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    But carry on if you want....... :lol
    :

To the tune of 'Apple Dumplings'

Campagnolo, campagnolo, I could ride it every day
    Campagnolo, campagnolo, what a lot of miles a day
    If you give me any other bits its full of growls and grumplings
    But I won't complain 'cos i'm right as rain
    With good oooooold Campagnolo.
  • daviesee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    But carry on if you want....... :lol
    :

To the tune of 'Apple Dumplings'

Campagnolo, campagnolo, I could ride it every day
    Campagnolo, campagnolo, what a lot of miles a day
    If you give me any other bits its full of growls and grumplings
    But I won't complain 'cos i'm right as rain
    With good oooooold Campagnolo.

Is this a scottish song - they have knack of taking fresh healthy food and smothering it in suet. :oops: :P :x :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • daviesee
    Is this a scottish song - they have knack of taking fresh healthy food and smothering it in suet. :oops: :P :x :lol:
    From Wikipedia:- (I know)
    Suet-based recipes

Christmas pudding
    Dumplings
    Haggis
    Jamaican patty
    Kishka/Kishke
    Mincemeat
    Rag Pudding
    Spotted dick
    Steak and kidney pudding
    Suet Crust Pastry
    Windsor pudding

1 out of 11 from Scotland.

I am getting ready to go out for dinner. Traditional Scottish I think.
    Langoustines followed by venison haunch and then cranachan, finished off with a few malts. Lovely! :P :wink: :P :lol:
  • It's not even Scottish.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Is this a scottish song - they have knack of taking fresh healthy food and smothering it in suet.

That is completely untrue and an utterly slanderous accusation against the people of Scotland. They'd never go anywhere near fresh, healthy food. :wink:
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    SecretSam wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

NO NO NO!!!!

It is not bl00dy "Campy", you plastic Yank, it's Campagnolo (with the middle bit pronounced correctly) or "Campag", pronounced to rhyme with, er, nothing really. Hard "g".

And those new 4 prong Shimano DA chainsets on Colnago disk fitted bike that they keep advertising are utterly, utterly hideous.

PS: I ride Shimano, Sora, 'cos that's what it came with

+ 1 I hate that bloody term also "Campy" FFs !!! - I see That campag have sold out to "americanisms" on their website. What next "Shimmy" or "Sramy" Look Below to see Mr "Campyman" and you'l see what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCkuqL9IcM
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I'm not fussed about looks, is there much difference in performance between Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM. It terms of how well they shift and durability? I'm thinking about Ultegra price range.

Also is there much difference between older 6600 generations of ultegra on ebay and the latest 6700 ultegra?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • hmmm...'mano v 'nolo eh? always a divisive subject. I've only ever had Shim' so I don't know that much about 'pag. I suppose if I had my time over again I might give 'nolers a go instead of sticking slavishly to 'manny.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    hmmm...'mano v 'nolo eh? always a divisive subject. I've only ever had Shim' so I don't know that much about 'pag. I suppose if I had my time over again I might give 'nolers a go instead of sticking slavishly to 'manny.

Like it YP :D your the MANO
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    hmmm...'mano v 'nolo eh? always a divisive subject. I've only ever had Shim' so I don't know that much about 'pag. I suppose if I had my time over again I might give 'nolers a go instead of sticking slavishly to 'manny.

Nah, you need to give the ole Sr a shot as well!
  • I have used groupsets from all three and find them all functional. If pushed I would choose Campag as I prefer the thumbshifters, but that's a personal preference. There's not a lot in it, they all make good products.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ben@31 wrote:
    I'm not fussed about looks, is there much difference in performance between Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM. It terms of how well they shift and durability? I'm thinking about Ultegra price range.

Also is there much difference between older 6600 generations of ultegra on ebay and the latest 6700 ultegra?

No, find a good LBS and have a ride on all 3. Pick whatever one you like the most. Functionally, and Performanceally they re identical!

I notice we have nt had the classic Groupset post about having a summer bike with brand new Campy on that only gets ridden in perfect conditions and then cleaned, lubed and serviced after every ride compared to the winter bike with 10 year old Shimano that gets used every day through all weathers and has nt so much as seen a bottle of lube for 6 months "but every time I ride the summer bike campy feels soooo much better"

Those are always fun!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    I have a summer bike with brand new Campag [Edit] on that only gets ridden once a year in perfect conditions and then cleaned, lubed and serviced after every ride compared to the winter bike with 24 year old Shimano that gets used every day through all weathers and hasn't so much as seen a bottle of lube for 8 years but every time I ride the summer bike, campag feels soooo much better.
  • I buy Campagnolo because it has four syllables. Shimano isn't as good as it only has three syllables. Sram is really crap as it only has one.
    ddraver wrote:
    I notice we have nt had the classic Groupset post about having a summer bike with brand new Campy on that only gets ridden in perfect conditions and then cleaned, lubed and serviced after every ride compared to the winter bike with 10 year old Shimano that gets used every day through all weathers and has nt so much as seen a bottle of lube for 6 months "but every time I ride the summer bike campy feels soooo much better"

Those are always fun!

True - but more intersting is the question - is there anyone in the universe who has Campag on their winter bike and Shimano on their summer bike? :lol:

Personally, I think Shimano is fine in its place - which is on a mountain bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Couldn't give a monkeys to be honest Rolf, you re also rather missing the point...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver