Spybike

2»

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Interesting idea, £100 for GPS tracking and SMS notification of theft.

Having trouble figuring out how this is installed. It says it can be used on a carbon steerer, but my carbon steerers either have a bung or an al sleeve epoxied into them and a star nut sitting inside the steerer where the stem clamps. How is there space for this thing?

'cos it's a replacement topcap, shirley
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Having trouble figuring out how this is installed. It says it can be used on a carbon steerer, but my carbon steerers either have a bung or an al sleeve epoxied into them and a star nut sitting inside the steerer where the stem clamps. How is there space for this thing?

There is more to it than just the top cap: http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

There is more to it than just the top cap: http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp

Oh corrr blimey. Sorry, I did look first, it's just I'd seen one picture and thought that was big enough.
    I did have an idea about doing this myself, it's just I'd come to the conclusion that securing and charging an 18650 battery in a bike was going to make a few people a bit Sad Panda, so gave up. I assumed these guys had come up with a different solution.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • You hammer the star nut further down the steerer, to make space for the whole Spybike unit. But TBH I prefer the Spylamp; you don't have the same installation issues, it looks (and almost works) like a real rear lamp, and it's much better at picking up both a GPS and GPRS signal. So the battery lasts longer. The Spybike was flattening its battery inside of a week when in my garage; the Spylamp2 lasts for about a month on full charge.

As for ongoing mobile signal charges, Integrated Trackers doesn't make any charge, and my top tip is to buy a £10 SIM from Ovivo; Ovivo top it up with £10 credit/200 tests each month, so effectively there's no monthly cost to run the Spylamp unit at all.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Is someone going round reviving all my old threads? First SkyCycle and now this one????
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.