Spybike

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Interesting idea, £100 for GPS tracking and SMS notification of theft.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Is there a carbon version yet?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i wonder how long the battery will last....

unless you charge it as you pedal along.

problem with motorbike trackers is that they run the battery down when the bike isnt moving
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i wonder how long the battery will last....

unless you charge it as you pedal along.

problem with motorbike trackers is that they run the battery down when the bike isnt moving

According to the blurb, up to 3 months, with a text being sent to you on low voltage trigger event.

Interesting device at a reasonable price.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    How long will it take for thieves to learn to throw away top caps?
    As long as the other screws are tensioned properly, you don't even need one.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Very cool. Even if this one's not the answer, it shows that workable, affordable trackers are on the way.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,631
    One off price?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Something more hidden would be a better answer - assuming that most bikes now are addapting external type BB's it might be better to have something hidden away in there, as is mentioned its easy to throw away a top cap. - no so easy to remove cranks or BB.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    rubertoe wrote:
    Something more hidden would be a better answer - assuming that most bikes now are addapting external type BB's it might be better to have something hidden away in there, as is mentioned its easy to throw away a top cap. - no so easy to remove cranks or BB.

how sealed are bb's in the shell?

i reckon being at the bottom of the bike all the crud an crap that hits the bottom of the bike is asking for trouble
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Problem solved - for the thieves, that is...
  • DrLex
    bompington wrote:

Ha! I have the third one down in that picture. Provides amusing fun in quiet carriages & coaches, but of limited effect in open spaces.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DrLex wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Ha! I have the third one down in that picture. Provides amusing fun in quiet carriages & coaches, but of limited effect in open spaces.
    I want one. I think I'd use it more than I use my phone!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I want one. I think I'd use it more than I use my phone!
    A "friend" of mine has one; he used to carry it with him all the time when he commuted by train. Used sparingly (only when phone users being genuinely obnoxious/inconsiderate) it provided a lot of satisfaction and entertainment :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    DrLex wrote:
    bompington wrote:

As a regular quiet carriage user, I could do with one of those! Nothing worse than someone having a long, involved phone call when you're trying to work or catch some zees.
  • DrLex
    edited February 2013
    Roastie wrote:
    As a regular quiet carriage user, I could do with one of those! Nothing worse than someone having a long, involved phone call when you're trying to work or catch some zees.
    I bought it from dealextreme for £20 a few years ago and have lent it to friends who have had similar issues. Not sure I'd spend £60 as per bompington's link.
    No doubt thanks to legal issues, DX have rebranded them as 'signal generators' - here's the guts of one like mine. £16 but may make you look like an OMFGTERRARIST!!!11! if you are spotted operating it on the train
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    They should just fit one to quiet carriages. That would make sense.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Right up to the point someone needs to make an emergency call. Also stops people accessing the web, which is a bit unnecessary...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Right up to the point someone needs to make an emergency call. Also stops people accessing the web, which is a bit unnecessary...
    True, hadn't considered web access. For emergency use they could have a switch fitted or something. The extra time taken would be minimal compered to the problem of getting to someone on a train. I very much doubt it would happen anyway.
  • It's not a case of "legal issues"; those jammers are flat-out illegal to use. Having lost a car to a car-jacker, I'd be in favour of shooting anyone using one, because they are a lot like flick-knives; there is almost no legitimate use for one. Though there's no reason at all why quiet carriages in trains couldn't be fitted with one which "fired up" intermittently for a short time; web browsing would be barely affected, but calls would drop out (save for the legislative nightmare it would cause - because they are very illegal to use). Fortunately, although they are probably becoming commonplace in the toolkit of the car-jacker, I don't think that bike thieves are likely to carry them as a matter of routine (at least while bike GPS trackers are so rare).

As to the Spybike/Spylamp, I've had a Spybike for about six months, and a new Spylamp2.0 for about six days. I've been posting in one of the MTB sections my experiences with the Spybike (in a nutshell, there are lots of points at which things have gone wrong, leading me to think that it's a bit like Linux was five years ago; it probably offers something to some people, but wasn't "mass-market" or mature enough for anyone who was looking for "plug and play" simplicity. At one stage I did consider whether someone might be following me around with a jammer!) The Spylamp2.0 has been a lot better - and I've got better at anticipating things which *I* can get wrong (like letting my SIM card run out of credit). I want to check out a couple more things about it before wholeheartedly endorsing it (such as "might it work in the back of a bike thief's van?"), but so far I'm thinking that it is worth the money; it's not much more expensive than a good D-lock (which you need to use anyway), it's a lot cheaper than the annual cost of insurance on a bike, and I feel that it really does improve the chances of getting it back if it's nicked (as well as providing peace of mind in the meantime).

What I have struggled with is finding a mobile phone SIM deal that suits it; contracts are Right Out (generally starting at a tenner a month), and lots of Pay As You Go SIMs seem to "time out" if they're not either topped up or used to make a call. Hopefully the SIM I just got from Ovivo will be ideal - a Pay As You Go SIM which *automatically* includes some free texts and data each month whether I top it up or not. And the Spybike/Spylamp needs to be able to send and receive texts and data, but only pretty infrequently - so a normal contract is OTT, and a SIM card which suddenly stops working because you didn't put a tenner on it last month (*cough* O2) is both expensive and largely useless in a device which really must work to be worth having.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    A jammer in the quiet carriage shouldn't affect web access because trains have WiFi. They should be fitted as standard in all cars.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,087
    A jammer in the quiet carriage shouldn't affect web access because trains have WiFi. They should be fitted as standard in all cars.

Which trains are these? The last few I've travelled on don't even have power sockets in the carriage.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

People don't need to make emergency calls even if they think they do. If they must make a call, there's probably nothing stopping them from getting out of their seat and moving to another carriage to make their call.

The main problem with this technology in quiet carriages is that it doesn't solve the iPod problem. Personally, I think there should be a law in quiet coaches that scissors are an acceptable solution for earphone cables.
    rjsterry wrote:

Which trains are these? The last few I've travelled on don't even have power sockets in the carriage.

Cross Country, Virgin, East Coast, Great Western etc. Most long distance trains have power sockets.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    I had a great experience on the last long train journey I was on (only 2 hours to Norwich). There was a guy at the other end of the carriage (not a quiet carriage) playing games on his tablet on full volume. I was surprised, but could only just hear it as it was the other end, so not a problem for me.

After a while a guy opposite him (guy 1) got annoyed and asked him to turn the sound off. His (guy 2) response? "I don't know how to". So guy 1 says "Well then stop using it". Guy 2 invites guy 1 to show him how to turn the sound down. He does so and all is well.

Few stops later guy 1 gets off. Sound goes back on. How inconsiderate can some people be!
    It's not a case of "legal issues"; those jammers are flat-out illegal to use. Having lost a car to a car-jacker, I'd be in favour of shooting anyone using one, because they are a lot like flick-knives; there is almost no legitimate use for one.

There's no reason for them to carry a knife / jammer, so I would be happy to shoot them. Think you might need to reconsider your logic on that one a bit coc.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,087
    Rolf F wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

People don't need to make emergency calls even if they think they do. If they must make a call, there's probably nothing stopping them from getting out of their seat and moving to another carriage to make their call.

The main problem with this technology in quiet carriages is that it doesn't solve the iPod problem. Personally, I think there should be a law in quiet coaches that scissors are an acceptable solution for earphone cables.
    rjsterry wrote:

Cross Country, Virgin, East Coast, Great Western etc. Most long distance trains have power sockets.

FGW have sockets on their HST sets, but not on their smaller DMUs*. Never come across Wifi on a train - only ever in some stations.

*may have outed myself as a bit of a train geek, but in my defence, my brother works in the industry.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    I have seen wifi on trains, the ones to Norwich have it. Not free though so never use it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007

but how does that wifi connect to the tinterweb..... :wink:

unless these "signal generators" are low powered so wont be blocked the gsm signal to the train wifi connection
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    FGW have sockets on their HST sets, but not on their smaller DMUs*. Never come across Wifi on a train - only ever in some stations.

I used to have great fun with the GNER wifi when they first made it free. On trips from Leeds to London, I sometimes managed to connect up by Peterborough :lol: . Then, for a brief while, it worked well; and then they started charging for it again so I didn't bother.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Trains have limited wifi. In my experience it's oversubscribed or expensive, sometimes both.

Cheers,
    W.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I like the look of that a lot.

As a bonus, assuming if you had a multitool you could extract a sim, you could carry an old lump of a phone around for emergencues, running out of innertubes for example, and use the onboard sim to make the call.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Rolf F wrote:

CrossCountry services from Nottingham to Cardiff do not have sockets of wifi. Which is really annoying as I'm on that train twice a week right now and my phone or laptop (or both) often dies when I spend the entire journey on them. :(
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Interesting idea, £100 for GPS tracking and SMS notification of theft.

Having trouble figuring out how this is installed. It says it can be used on a carbon steerer, but my carbon steerers either have a bung or an al sleeve epoxied into them and a star nut sitting inside the steerer where the stem clamps. How is there space for this thing?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A