Chris Huhne's wife, should we hate her?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Sewinman wrote:
    There are not a lot of his calibre in Westminster.

Liars and cheats?

Place is feckin' full of them
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK, what Chris Huhne did was wrong. He shouldn't have lied. At the time I'm sure it looked like the greater good.

Your OP makes a good case. But arguing that he acted for 'the greater good' stretches it beyond breaking point.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sewinman wrote:
    I feel sorry for him, seemed a reasonably decent bloke and very talented. We've lost one of the better ones. *Tut*

Have you read the text exchanges between him and his son? They are in The Times today. His son may disagree with you. Quite strongly.

Of course, whether the son's actually the oddjob in that family is a different matter.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sewinman wrote:
    I feel sorry for him, seemed a reasonably decent bloke and very talented. We've lost one of the better ones. *Tut*

Have you read the text exchanges between him and his son? They are in The Times today. His son may disagree with you. Quite strongly.

Of course, whether the son's actually the oddjob in that family is a different matter.

Yes I have, hence my histrionics comment. All very sad.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Re - what have we lost: Highly intelligent and well educated man, successful career in the City, excellent economics writer and journalist, successful international negotiator and well respected MP.

And a convicted lying twunt. Lower than vermin. Good riddance.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    10 years on (and this is why people should consider spicing the sex up - men are simple creatures) Huhne, like most senior officials it seems, flipped off the pencil skirted younger lady who idolises him [Greg] and makes him feel 21 again - she's bisexual so there may have been added benefits or a spare pillow.

The real mystery is, why does Greg get referenced in every DDD thread?
  • tailwindhome
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    10 years on (and this is why people should consider spicing the sex up - men are simple creatures) Huhne, like most senior officials it seems, flipped off the pencil skirted younger lady who idolises him [Greg] and makes him feel 21 again - she's bisexual so there may have been added benefits or a spare pillow.

Why do birds suddenly appear?
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Sewinman wrote:

There are too many of his caibre in Westminster!

This is the guy that charged the taxpayer for a trouser press because he needed to look smart for work. If I used that line with my boss I would be out on my ear.

He has shown himself to be a liar and a cheat, almost to the last.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He was probably the only lib dem who lib demmers thought was any good at politics.
  • rick_chasey
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Love that song.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK, what Chris Huhne did was wrong. He shouldn't have lied. At the time I'm sure it looked like the greater good.

Your OP makes a good case. But arguing that he acted for 'the greater good' stretches it beyond breaking point.

It's funny how often 'the greater good' conveniently happens to be the thing that justifies you to lie your way out of trouble :lol:
    sewinman wrote:
    Highly intelligent and well educated man, successful career in the City, excellent economics writer and journalist, successful international negotiator and well respected MP

What sort of individual would ask his wife to take his speeding points? Would you? And how intelligent is the man that asks that of his wife and then days later gets done for using his mobile whilst driving (a rather worse offence in many ways)? Whatever he is, he is a fool.

Thing is - he isn't a great man and he is no more irreplaceable than anyone else. The world won't be a worse place because he's 'locked up' in a curfewed hotel somewhere. At least in prison he'll probably incur less expense on the taxpayer. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Ian.B wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

More subtle than what I'd have put :lol:

The parallel with the Marcus Einfeld - until he went down the same road as Huhne and Armstrong he was "... justice of the Federal Court of Australia and the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory; a former President of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission; a UNICEF Ambassador for Children..." - is worth looking at. How the blindingly obvious stupidity of lying (badly) over something relatively minor doesn't occur to such highly intelligent people is baffling, but it seems to be a repeated phenomenon.

I think claims of Huhne having a post-jail career in the city lined up already are a little fanciful. Maybe a series of appearances on low-rent reality TV.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It is bordering on the gleeful now.
  • rolf_f
    Sewinman wrote:
    It is bordering on the gleeful now.

Naah, it's just depressing really. It's not much to ask of our politicians is it? Is it too much to ask that they behave reasonably honestly and abide by the laws that they themselves make? How hard is it really? The only reason that people think it is even remotely acceptable is because so many of them behave that way. We've lost the appreciation of how rotten these people actually are.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    gtvlusso wrote:

They should both go to prison for perjury - simple.

can't really see what else there is to be said.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I think they're both as bad as each other. They should be ashamed of themselves for putting their kids (grown up or not), through such a messy, bad-tempered, public divorce and legal case. Through all the bitterness they seem to have lost sight of what's really important - their family.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • tailwindhome
    airbag wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Has either actually committed perjury?
  • rjsterry
    airbag wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Don't think they have; they were both charged with perverting the course of justice. Perjury is lying under oath, and since this is the first instance that this has come to trial, they can't have committed perjury.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    He was probably the only lib dem who lib demmers thought was any good at politics.
    I suppose it depends which side of the party you're talking about, but that sounds rather generous.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Maybe. My circle is rather limited but most people in that circle seem feel he's a genuine heavyweight in a party that lacks heavyweights.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    mega piranha could of solved this
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Paul E wrote:
    mega piranha could have solved this

you mean sharktopuss?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    mega piranha could have solved this

you mean sharktopuss?

or Opitmus Prime Minister....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've had a meeting with the bloke when he was Energy Minister. Struck me as competent, sensible and relatively pleasant. Have to say that the stories that you hear about him suggest that pleasant is not his default mode!

That said he deserves a jail sentence, expecially because of the high office he chose to pursue - perfectly proper to hold Govt Ministers to higher standards than normal people (even if they often fail to live up to them).

Incidently, I think you can see a pattern of behaviour with Huhn that shows a degree of recklessness and lack of self-discipline that questions his suitability for high office (although clearly he's not alone their - Clinton, JFK, etc). I mean if I had 6 points on my license I would be very disciplined about speeding. He couldn't manage that on 9 points despite the political risks. Ditto affairs with work colleagues - just very high risk as a politician.

I do think his ex-wife has behaved in a childish, foolish and irrational way in dragging this up - people cheat on each other, marriages fail, launching a vendetta to utterly ruin your ex and ruin his relationships with your children is utterly self-obsessed behaviour. Sensible parents would do EVERYTHING to keep their children out of the dispute not enlist them in your scheme of retribution.

I also think her defence of marital coercion lets down the whole of the female gender - she is a very bright, well educated and successful woman. There is no evidence that Huhn threatened her with violence. She had independent earning power. If she was not free and capable of making her own decision over taking the points then what wife would be? I think that's a disgrace and I'd be interested in what other women here think about it. In a way, using that defence is just as wrong as Huhn's lies.

From what I understand the defence is unlikely to work and there is a certain poetic justice that she is almost certainly going to get jail time too.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:
    airbag wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Don't think they have; they were both charged with perverting the course of justice. Perjury is lying under oath, and since this is the first instance that this has come to trial, they can't have committed perjury.

Ah - I thought you committed perjury if you lied to the clerk of the court? When you get a speeding thingy it goes to the clerk of the courts, you can either plead guilty and take the points/fine or not guilty and go to trial. As Mr Huhne and Ms Pryce did the old 'switcheroo' they effectively lied to the clerk of the court......That's as I understood it anyway and it was still perjury.....though I am happy to be corrected.
  • rjsterry
    jedster wrote:
    I've had a meeting with the bloke when he was Energy Minister. Struck me as competent, sensible and relatively pleasant. Have to say that the stories that you hear about him suggest that pleasant is not his default mode!

That said he deserves a jail sentence, expecially because of the high office he chose to pursue - perfectly proper to hold Govt Ministers to higher standards than normal people (even if they often fail to live up to them).

Incidently, I think you can see a pattern of behaviour with Huhn that shows a degree of recklessness and lack of self-discipline that questions his suitability for high office (although clearly he's not alone their - Clinton, JFK, etc). I mean if I had 6 points on my license I would be very disciplined about speeding. He couldn't manage that on 9 points despite the political risks. Ditto affairs with work colleagues - just very high risk as a politician.

I do think his ex-wife has behaved in a childish, foolish and irrational way in dragging this up - people cheat on each other, marriages fail, launching a vendetta to utterly ruin your ex and ruin his relationships with your children is utterly self-obsessed behaviour. Sensible parents would do EVERYTHING to keep their children out of the dispute not enlist them in your scheme of retribution.

I also think her defence of marital coercion lets down the whole of the female gender - she is a very bright, well educated and successful woman. There is no evidence that Huhn threatened her with violence. She had independent earning power. If she was not free and capable of making her own decision over taking the points then what wife would be? I think that's a disgrace and I'd be interested in what other women here think about it. In a way, using that defence is just as wrong as Huhn's lies.

From what I understand the defence is unlikely to work and there is a certain poetic justice that she is almost certainly going to get jail time too.

I was reading around the Marcus Einfeld case, and there was some suggestion that the traits exhibited by him, the examples you mention, Huhne, Armstrong, Archer, Aitken, etc, etc. - the daft risk taking, followed by disproportionate efforts to cover up the indiscretion - amount to a form of narcissism bordering on mental illness. Not sure I buy that, but it certainly seems to be a recurrent theme in those at the top.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Maybe. My circle is rather limited but most people in that circle seem feel he's a genuine heavyweight in a party that lacks heavyweights.

Maybe frenchfighter has some arty photos of him, tackling Westminster Bridge on a Brompton?

As for the woman scorned angle... not all women (or men) scorned would act in this kind of manner; most are big enough to rise above it. However, some men and women cannot help falling for - and marrying - complete fuck1ng psychopaths. In those instances then I'm afraid the writing is on the wall from the very beginning.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    suzyb wrote:
    Yes. He cheated on her she has the right to f**k up his life as fully as she can / wishes to.

Sorry, but this is a very worrying outlook on life.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rolf_f
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Yes. He cheated on her she has the right to f**k up his life as fully as she can / wishes to.

Sorry, but this is a very worrying outlook on life.

Plus one. We get way too hung up on how terrible cheating on someone is. It's bad but it isn't really that bad in the great scheme of things.