Etape du dales - who's in

2»

Comments

• Agreed. Great event, although not sure about the merits of the curried chicken sandwiches at the Tan Hill feed stop!

A question - my Strava App through an iPhone registered about 3000m of climbing. But routes shown elsewhere reckon around 3500m. Any ideas? Did I take a short cut?!

-s
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Great event well run! My ride time was 7:15 & elapsed time was 8:08. I'm fairly happy with that I suppose, I would put this course on a par with the Fred. I gave it a real tonk from the last descent onwards & left everything out there & defunately made some time back. We can be thankful for the good weather too. Managed to beat my top speed too on that ridiculous first descent.
  • red_eye5
    red_eye5 Posts: 57
    My garmin clocked 9800ft climb approx 3000m.

Results out

http://www.chiptiming.co.uk/Cyclosporti ... e2013.html
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    My Garmin shows just short of 3500m. Anyway you look at it there were some savage climbs out there!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Great event and very well done by the organisers - this is how all events should be. My total time was 7:30 and pleased with that as I could have went faster but have had enough of just staring at the road ahead and sitting in groups to try to shave of minutes of my time. Has been two years since I have been to the Dales and was just drinking in the glorious views and did not want to rush around as I might not be back for another two.

Funny thing is that lately have been doing a lot of difficult and hilly 130-160mile runs on my own and you think that 111miles would be easy to do but still felt the last 20miles - hard route but great area to cycle and well worth the effort.

Had the usual on sportives though in that I yo-yo(ed) with several riders all day who were quicker than me downhill and then I would pass them on the next climb and repeat.
    Brian B.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    Brian B wrote:
    Great event and very well done by the organisers - this is how all events should be. My total time was 7:30 and pleased with that as I could have went faster but have had enough of just staring at the road ahead and sitting in groups to try to shave of minutes of my time. Has been two years since I have been to the Dales and was just drinking in the glorious views and did not want to rush around as I might not be back for another two.

Funny thing is that lately have been doing a lot of difficult and hilly 130-160mile runs on my own and you think that 111miles would be easy to do but still felt the last 20miles - hard route but great area to cycle and well worth the effort.

Had the usual on sportives though in that I yo-yo(ed) with several riders all day who were quicker than me downhill and then I would pass them on the next climb and repeat.

couldn't agree more...my exact sentiments. I actually enjoyed the ride for a change :)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Great event well run! My ride time was 7:15 & elapsed time was 8:08. I'm fairly happy with that I suppose, I would put this course on a par with the Fred. I gave it a real tonk from the last descent onwards & left everything out there & defunately made some time back. We can be thankful for the good weather too. Managed to beat my top speed too on that ridiculous first descent.

That'll be Fleet Moss Strava has riders going over 60mph. Its an easy fast decent but in lambing season you'd have to be a maniac to approach those speeds.

And I would not put it in the same league as the Fred. This is a grindable route, out of sorts on the Fred you are in trouble. Hardest part is Garsdale imo. And I could do this route on a low geared standard - not the Fred.
  • Masey1980
    Masey1980 Posts: 27
    A few snippets of the ride if anyone fancies a look, any feedback would be greatfully recieved. Unfortunately my GoPro mount broke shortly after the start hence the change of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r41zSSzNak