Etape du dales - who's in

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
After 6 Fred Whitton's in a row I opted for the other big May sportive and was wondering who else is in. Done a lot of rides in the Dales and know what to expect but looking forward to this one.
Brian B.

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    The last Sportive I did was the FWC in 2010, due to family commitments, house move etc. I have had two busy years with little cycling. Am back to normal (if there is such a thing) and have been getting out for a few hours at the weekend so tried to get an entry for the FWC but missed out so have sent in an entry for the ETD. Have not had anything to say my entry has been successful; is there somewhere I should be looking? The only bit of the route I am not familiar with is Fleet Moss, any idea what it’s like?
  • Not done the ride but done the course plenty of times. Toughest is part Hawes to Ribblehead. Apart from that its not 'too' difficult. Biggest challenge is the weather.
  • LeighB
    Thanks, doesn’t sound too bad then, one of my favourite rides goes over the ‘Coal Road’ from Dent to Garsdale and I have been over the opposite way as per the ETD.
  • yep, i'm in, have never ridden there before so looking forward to it.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Brian B
    LeighB wrote:
    The last Sportive I did was the FWC in 2010, due to family commitments, house move etc. I have had two busy years with little cycling. Am back to normal (if there is such a thing) and have been getting out for a few hours at the weekend so tried to get an entry for the FWC but missed out so have sent in an entry for the ETD. Have not had anything to say my entry has been successful; is there somewhere I should be looking? The only bit of the route I am not familiar with is Fleet Moss, any idea what it’s like?

Hi Leigh

I entered online and got an email straight away from British Cycling saying that the organisers had automatically accepted my entry.
    Brian B.
  • Ive entered first timer. Hope the weather is good.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Never again - did it in 2011 and still defrosting/drying out!!
  • Does it go over the coal road from garsdale to dent? That's not too hard, very steep to start, 25% but eases off for a bit then climbs again, I always thought it looked harder from the dent side, never done it this way though.
  • LeighB
    Thanks Brian just had a look and I have the same e mail so looks like I’m in.
    robklancs, looking at the route it goes over the Coal Road from Garsdale to Dent, I’ve been over both ways and think it’s harder from the Dent side as it sets off quite steep up to the Railway Station and then seems to just keep on going; quite tricky going down as well.
  • robklancs wrote:
    Does it go over the coal road from garsdale to dent? That's not too hard, very steep to start, 25% but eases off for a bit then climbs again, I always thought it looked harder from the dent side, never done it this way though.

Correct it goes from Garsdale to Dent, your description of the climb is pretty good also. As for it not being too hard, I suppose it is all relative to ability but you will see plenty pushing...

This climb is 70miles in, depends how hard you have been riding up to then, weather, wind, gearing etc will depend on how easy it is
  • Sorry, I read my post back and i need to rephrase, when I said not too hard I meant there are more difficult around but I would class it as a very difficult climb. There are not many steeper pitches than the initial slog past the station and trees, and after seventy miles and big climbs already in the leg it will be hard hard work and as you say, plenty walking. If you want a go at it this month the lune cc have their coal road reliability ride on the 24th.
  • robklancs wrote:
    Sorry, I read my post back and i need to rephrase, when I said not too hard I meant there are more difficult around but I would class it as a very difficult climb. There are not many steeper pitches than the initial slog past the station and trees, and after seventy miles and big climbs already in the leg it will be hard hard work and as you say, plenty walking. If you want a go at it this month the lune cc have their coal road reliability ride on the 24th.

Thanks, but I'm busy on 24th....... How many times is this ride cancelled due to snow ice?

I do like the climb though, think it is harder from the other side as you say, Will be over it a few times between now and May, along with the other training hills, Bowland Knotts, Cross of Greet, Pendle Hill round, Waddy Fell, Longridge Fell Fleet Moss, Newby Head. It's good to live local to these

Just need to get the miles and hills in now, and hope for weather on Etape day like last year
  • Am in. Hoping for better weather than last year. It sounded awful! Looks like a nice ride though, some good descents in there.
  • Last year the weather was great, cool, dry, still, think the year before was bad
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Thought I would dust this thread off seeing as the ride is this Sunday. Everyone prepared? Anyone dreading bad weather after the reports from Sundays Fred Whitton?

I think I have just about got in enough training to avoid a bonk. The weather forecast right now is for a real feel high of 6º & with a chance of rain. Will be keeping an eye on that for sure.

Who else is riding?
  • red_eye5
    red_eye5 Posts: 57
    First time I'm doing it. Hoping it don't pi55 down and we don't get a head wind on the way back. Will check the weather closer to the time in my experience its not that accurate 5-6 days in advance.

Umming and arring if to use my compact or do it on a 39/28 which I currently have. I did 100 mile ride a couple of weeks ago with 8500ft climbing which I managed ok.

What time are people planning to roll up to start line? I'm hoping to get there for 0730.
  • nunowoolmez
    Not really planned that far ahead yet but will want to get started reasonably early. Thankfully the very nice hotel I'm stayin at will sort out an early brekkie for me & it is pretty much over the road from the start. I'll be using a compact with an 11-28 so I can just spin out the climbs & tap out a nice steady pace on the flat. I managed a 90 miler with 1750m climbing at 16.5mph avg speed on Sunday so if I hit anything like that I will be amazed!

Anyone have an idea on gradients? Are they as vicious as the Fred or a bit more of a manageable effort?
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    anyone seen the wind forecast.....gusts up to 50mph!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Not really planned that far ahead yet but will want to get started reasonably early. Thankfully the very nice hotel I'm stayin at will sort out an early brekkie for me & it is pretty much over the road from the start. I'll be using a compact with an 11-28 so I can just spin out the climbs & tap out a nice steady pace on the flat. I managed a 90 miler with 1750m climbing at 16.5mph avg speed on Sunday so if I hit anything like that I will be amazed!

Anyone have an idea on gradients? Are they as vicious as the Fred or a bit more of a manageable effort?

I would say the gradients are similiar to Honister pass. Steep but short. If the Fred is difficulty 10 this is probably about 8.5. I would not want to do this on a 39/25 tbh. Fleet Moss, Buttertubs, Coal Road, Stainforth not easy by any stretch. Then you've got Tan Hill not steep but you are guaranteed a 100 mph headwind :lol:

Good luck to all this weekend and im glad im not doing it after the Fred :lol:
  • red_eye5
    Right compact it is. At least that way if I need the extra gears they will be available.
  • jackhunt
    jackhunt Posts: 49
    I'm in. Did it last year and I'm beginging to realise how benign the weather was on that day. Hope the wind doesn't pick up for the w/e. Did the Yorkshire Weaver last Sunday and the hard route was made epic with the wind and later, the rain. At one stage I was almost going into the red in my lowest gear whilst still on the flat! I've never mashed the pedals so hard in order to get DOWN a hill. The EDD is a toughie to be sure and if the weather reports are correct I'll be starting at the crack of dawn before the wind picks up. I'd go with compact - what have you got to lose?
  • agent nomad
    agent nomad Posts: 93
    I am riding this so I too hope the weather is ok

I am staying at the YHA in Malham saturday night and lookig to start around 07:30 to 08:30 depending on breakfast and the weather.

I rode the very first Dave Rayner charity ride back in the 1990's that went from Skipton to Gargrave.
  • speshsteve
    Good luck all, weather forecast looks fantastic now...lets hope it holds true :)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • nunowoolmez
    Absolutely! See you all out there...
  • Brian B
    Weather looks nice, B&B booked. Good luck everybody!!

Two years since I have been in the Dales and know most of this route but mostly the opposite way from this event and looking forward to being back again. Have been concentrating mostly Scotland and Northumbria lately and not been doing enough in the Dales and Lakes

Hope the wind is not as bad as the last time I was going over Tan Hill when an irate swooping sand piper was blown into my face :shock:
    Brian B.
  • Wobblehead
    Wobblehead Posts: 264
    Live 8 miles from start, raining all day but looks like it's clearing.

Dry, cool and still day forecast, let's hope the forecast is right
  • Wobblehead
    Just been in Grassington, could be misty early doors
  • red_eye5
    Fantastic day in the saddle. Well organised event. Feed stations nicely stocked. Some really brutal climbs. Managed to get round in 0718. Happy with that for first attempt.
  • speshsteve
    are the results in yet?

Good day, paced myself well so didn't suffer too bad and rode the circuit all on my lonesome. Have to say it was nice to ride around and soak up all the views without the need to follow a bloody wheel the whole way round..much nicer experience :)

My Garmin says ride of 6,39 with a total of 6,47.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Wobblehead
    Set off late with the 'fast lads' from our club, some of them came back in just over 6 hrs...

Managed to hang on till the bottom of Fleet Moss, then it was game over, had to do the rest on my own.

6 40 ride time, event timing 6 50.

Had some dark moments on the Coal Rd with cramp then over Stainforth to Halton Gill went on forever

Delighted, beat last years by 50 minutes

Great event, that's how a sportive should be organised