Orange Five 29

13»

Comments

• You most certainly can't spec a Tall Boy near the same price as an Orange. My mate has just bought a Gyro and when speccing up the Santa Cruz (Alloy) to matching spec it came out as £4800!
    By the way I think the black and gold bike looks fantastic!
  • Keveo
    Keveo Posts: 51
    Would look better with John Player Special decals.

:lol::lol: +1
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Way to dig up a 2 month old thread guys.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRULO1qYa9CDwLUEG1twHm_4FY29rkQMIgQZL3_DSGwetVlN49N
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRULO1qYa9CDwLUEG1twHm_4FY29rkQMIgQZL3_DSGwetVlN49N

I know this is an old thread but its the only one I could find and I had to join the forum really just to ask a question :D

I started learning to tig weld (Ideally to build my own frames) and was wondering who was making the Orange bike frames I know it was not actually Orange but another company related to them,

Do Orange also make the Cotic frames?

Thanks Phil
  • Northwind
    Orange make some themselves and some (most actually) are taiwanese. Cotic are all taiwanese- no idea if they're made in the same places, the R8 always looked suspiciously similiar to a Soul though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Orange make some themselves and some (most actually) are taiwanese. Cotic are all taiwanese- no idea if they're made in the same places, the R8 always looked suspiciously similiar to a Soul though.

Hi Northwind :D

Do you work in the bicycle industry, if so would you know who I could contact at Orange ,My question to them would be if there was really any way I could learn how to build bicycle frames ? I'm aware there are companies that do teach it but none of the courses teach TIG welding.

I was speaking to a chap a few months back who mentioned bike building and assumed he worked for Orange as he said they made full suspension frames and were in Sheffield, I got his details at "Bespoked" but then lost them as my actual job takes precedence over my hobby and its been several months.

Thanks for your help

Phil
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would think you need to learn to weld first, then look for a job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I would think you need to learn to weld first, then look for a job.

You have a point,but from what I have learned on the welding forums over the last few months ,maybe I actually need to learn to weld bikes or at least thin wall tubing. Even the rollcage makers and aircraft kit builders are using thicker tube than on most bike frames, theres not much out there on the web for welding thinwall aluminium or steel for bicycles but there's plenty for industrial applications , hence I would like to get in touch with someone who could show me the ropes.

Thanks for your reply

Phil
  • Northwind
    philxx1975 wrote:
    Do you work in the bicycle industry, if so would you know who I could contact at Orange ,My question to them would be if there was really any way I could learn how to build bicycle frames ? I'm aware there are companies that do teach it but none of the courses teach TIG welding.

No idea, sorry! Some folks just set up their own, like BTR frinstance. Framebuilding courses tend to be brazing a hardtail, I guess because it's easier and because the sort of bearded SPD-sandal-wearer that wants to make their own frame probably wants a brazed hardtail.

Very few jobs in welding bike frames in the UK though, that's a fact. And I reckon most of those, are time-served welders who started out making other stuff.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • A Ok Northwind

I just looked up BTR and its similar to what I want to do.I have tried every google search I can think of for framebuilding and bicycle making in Yorkshire.

Thanks for your help

Phil