Orange Five 29

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Well it looks nice in the gold black!

http://www.chopmtb.com/2013/01/28/orang ... eler-ever/

Intheflesh1-026-copy1.jpg

66.5 degree HA with waggon wheels might be interesting though, will have to test ride one!

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    What do you mean it looks nice in black and gold?!?!

1) It just doesn't, orange full sussers almost look slightly nice in some colour combos but black and gold isn't one of them, at least not for me.
    2) It's a five so it can't possibly look nice ever anyway. You know the rules :wink:
    supersonic wrote:

66.5 degree HA with waggon wheels might be interesting though, will have to test ride one!

Interesting definitely sounds like the right word, that's slacker than the 26inch version... really wouldn't mind trying one though. Was reading about it somewhere the other day and it got my attention. Wonder what the weight will be like though, they're hardly light as it is with 26 inch wheels.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    edited February 2013
    Why spec a triple chainset? For me that is a poor choice. As are the basic elixir 5's on a bike of that price.

Though the black and gold is certainly working for me.
  • supersonic
    Lol, I think it looks a bit more 'classy' than the usual lurid orange and green!

I imagine it will be around 32lbs all in - the parts are the usual 'functional, but not light mix' that is often found on the S models, but with the Pro price.
  • bennett_346
    32lbs doesn't hit the right weight at all for me for a bike like that. The finishing kit is nothing special. But people will pay because it has 29inch wheels i guess.

For 3k there are a lot of 140mm bikes with sub 30lb weights.
  • supersonic
    Though I don't like CTD, the 34 is a good spec choice. RS could do with a lightened 29er 9and 26er for that matter) Lyrik, 140-160mm.
  • bennett_346
    Isn't the rc2dh air lyrik only 100g heavier than the 29 ctd fit 140mm float? I'd just space down a lyrik.
  • supersonic
    Can't really compare a Fox 29er fork to a RS 26er though.
  • Its an Orange 5 so I'm out.
    Its a 29er so I'm doubly out.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    32lbs doesn't hit the right weight at all for me for a bike like that. The finishing kit is nothing special. But people will pay because it has 29inch wheels i guess.

For 3k there are a lot of 140mm bikes with sub 30lb weights.

Not 29" though are they?

@supersonic troll :wink:

Longterm test of the of the Giro here, it's a good read.

"With most of my singletrack and downhill Strava PBs thoroughly beaten into a pulp by the ridiculously easy to ride Gyro (did I say this bike was quick already?)................................."

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/blog/longte ... -pro-2.htm
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Over-priced, over-weight, over-rated...

The. End.
  • lawman wrote:
    Over-priced, over-weight, over-rated...

The. End.

As above - says it all
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Why are some people so keen to rubbish other people's bikes? Never understood that one. It's a bike innit? If you don't like Orange bikes move on. If all you care about is getting the most bang for your buck then it's probably not for you either. If you like the way a Five rides and fancy a 29er then give it a go. But why anybody feels the urge to slag off a bike that will almost certainly make some people very happy is beyond me.
  • Would look better with John Player Special decals.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    lawman wrote:
    over-rated...

Got a link?
    lawman wrote:
    over priced...

Compared to what?

Similar speced Santa Cruz Tallboy's £3358.00.

Nicolai Helius AC 29 is 2300 euros for frame and shock.

Cube Stereo HPC 140 £2900.00.
  • lawman
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    over-rated...

Got a link?
    lawman wrote:
    over priced...

Compared to what?

Similar speced Santa Cruz Tallboy's £3358.00.

Nicolai Helius AC 29 is 2300 euros for frame and shock.

Rode a 5, didn't like it. Honestly cannot see what so many people rave about. Lots of bikes do the same job, if not do it better for less. You pay for the name and the made in halifax sticker. They've tarted that black/gold thing up with Kashima fork and shock, covering up the shitty brakes own brand kit and the wheels which wouldn't look out of place on a bike a third of the price.

Orange are expensive, there's no two ways about it. The cube you mentioned has a carbon frame, better wheels, better overall kit and is £100 less... In what way is that better value than the Orange?

Nicolai have an insane attention to detail, the quality on those bikes is more than worthy of the price, some of the welds I've seen on 5's look like they've done by a blind monkey with one arm...

The Santa Cruz has to be imported from California to the Uk, you telling me it costs Orange the same to send a bike from halifax anywhere in the uk? You pay for the name and a sticker and thats it with an Orange.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    lawman wrote:
    You pay for the name and a sticker and thats it with an Orange.

It's a fair point, but you also get top rate customer service from them, not saying other companies have bad customer services, but orange from my and my mates experience are really up there, proper useful and keen to help like the guys at Hope.

And FWIW I quite like the 5. But can't justify/afford the price, I've got other priorities :lol: but I can see why people will pay for it. Also I bet MBR really helped shift a few of them in recent years...
  • lawman
    Angry Bird wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    You pay for the name and a sticker and thats it with an Orange.

It's a fair point, but you also get top rate customer service from them, not saying other companies have bad customer services, but orange from my and my mates experience are really up there, proper useful and keen to help like the guys at Hope.

And FWIW I quite like the 5. But can't justify/afford the price, I've got other priorities :lol: but I can see why people will pay for it. Also I bet MBR really helped shift a few of them in recent years...

I can see why people pay the cash, doesn't mean its the right decision :wink:

The argument for good customer service is irrelevant imo, when splashing out on something worth, and I use the word "worth" very loosely in this case, what a 5 costs it should be a given that customer service is excellent. I remember an interview with hope saying in MBR some years ago and they reckoned they could make a british designed and built bike for 2 grand... So why on earth does a 5, or any Orange for that matter, designed and built in britain, with largely british components, cost so much more?
  • Tbh, I don't the the fascination with built in Britain.

Designed in Britain, yeah, that's pretty cool. But there is no point in keeping the manufacturing over here.

I reckon there is a lovely manufacturer in Taiwan or similar that could knock a 5 out for a couple of hundred.
    Actually, saying that, the technology to fold and press the rear swingarm is so old, I doubt there are many places that could build it lmao.
  • supersonic
    Hope have outsourced their new bar abroad, as they don't have the equipment to make it. So even the patriots are starting to see how it can be done cheaper abnd better!

I am surprised Orange haven't gone the way of OnOne an simply deal mail order and have one location based showroom. The fanatics and those who really want one will travel (or have already made their minds up about one), and as they seem to deal direct with a lot of warranty stuff anyway they'd cut the middle man out of the dealer and cut chop prices.
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:
    I am surprised Orange haven't gone the way of OnOne an simply deal mail order and have one location based showroom. The fanatics and those who really want one will travel (or have already made their minds up about one), and as they seem to deal direct with a lot of warranty stuff anyway they'd cut the middle man out of the dealer and cut chop prices.

I bet if they did though they'd still charge what they do now because they could and suckers would still buy them...
  • supersonic
    I think some people like paying that much too! Brand position and all that.
  • I think the 5 actually suits wagonwheels. I'd still not have one, but it's not nearly as gopping as some previous incarnations.
  • lawman
    I just don't get what people see in the 5 or any of their full suspension bikes tbh. They are heavy, don't ride that well as an all-rounder because of the weight, they don't look particularly nice and you don't really get good kit for your money, adding further weight to bulky frame because of cheaper components. If it was inline with the likes of Nukeproof or On One, then maybe you could live these short comings because of the great price you paid, some 5's actually look half decent in the smaller sizes, the 17" frame for the 5 is a great idea, combining the 16" seattube with the toptube of the 18", actually think more brands should offer that.... BUT, they cost what they do and imo its just too expensive for what you actually get
  • supersonic
    I was looking at the price of some Cyclocross bikes tother day (not that I would ever, ever own one!). We thought we had it bad!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

And kicks the Five's arse on spec tbh. There's too much bare-minimum on the Orange.

I want a go on it though... Seems to be right up my street, Orange have always been better at big bikes than little ones.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • andy_welch
    I've got an old (2006) Five. Last year I bought a nice shiny new Giant Trance. The Trance is a great bike. Only two-thirds the price of the Five and better for around 90% of the trails I ride. But I'm afraid it hasn't been out of the shed for the past six months, whereas the Five still gets used a couple of times a week. Maybe the Trance will come back into favour when the weather improves. Maybe I'm just a deluded fool. Maybe I've fallen for some image thing. Although, since I ride on my own and rarely meet another soul on the trails I'm not sure who I'm trying to impress. Maybe I just like the way it rides :)

However, I don't conclude from this that Giants are over-rated or that anybody who buys one is deluded.

The price of Orange bikes does need to be seen in the context of the total cost of ownership as well. It's debatable whether my Trance, with its press fit BB and funny (non)standard Oversize II headset will still be going in 6 years time. The Five can go back to Orange who (for a couple of hundred quid) will strip it, replace the bearings, paint it any colour you like and fit new decals. It's basically like getting a new bike. Also, since the design has hardly changed my 2006 model, with a longer fork, offset bushings and a works components headeset feels close enough to the current model that I don't feel any urge to upgrade. Maybe that's why they developed a 29er version!

But, I'm not really trying to sell Orange bikes. If they don't do it for you that's fine. It's your money and I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to buy. Whatever it is I promise not to slag it off or try to imply that you are an idiot for buying it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    andy_welch wrote:
    The Five can go back to Orange who (for a couple of hundred quid) will strip it, replace the bearings, paint it any colour you like and fit new decals. It's basically like getting a new bike.

You do realise you can do that with every bike that's ever been made :? My '91 Carrera got new paint, bearings and stickers, and it's... Hmm. Nothing like a new bike actually, it still rides like it's 20 years old. But it doesn't look as shagged as it did at least :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I like it it looks cool. And I am sure the folk that buy one will love riding it just as much as I love riding my 5. if they do then it is worth every penny.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I resemble my avatar
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy_welch
    Northwind wrote:
    You do realise you can do that with every bike that's ever been made :?

Well I've done it with a fair few road frames over the years, but I guess I wasn't aware that there was anybody who I could send my Trance frame to who would: strip it, inspect it for damage, spray it a nice colour, replace the bearings and stick new decals on. That's good news. Is there anybody that you'd recommend? I fancy giving that a go sometime.