Wheelsucking Tw**t

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Last night at round 1800 I was heading from Trafalgar up The Mall and onto Constitution Hill. On The Mall I picked up a wheelsucker on a Boardman road bike wearing a yellow Met helmet. If this was you, you are a twunt.

Now, I usually don't mind anyone hitching a ride on my back wheel, that is fine. What I do mind is when someone does it in a dangerous manner, in this case sitting to my right (with a bright front light) therefore totally blocking the view over my shoulder. Normally, on a dead straight road, this may not be such a problem, but when riding multiple lanes with traffic, needing to move left to right across traffic, being able to shoulder check is essential.

It has been a while, but I don't remember cyclists being this inconsiderate to one another a few years ago when I was regularly commuting in London - is this a recent thing?

Either way, it really irked me.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Nah, it has ever been thus. The use of stupidly bright lights is on an inexorable rise, though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Roastie
    The bright lights are another total wind-up. And there seems to be an attitude that goes with those lights ... particularly to (dopey) peds.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    The use of stupidly bright lights is on an inexorable rise, though
    People seem to be getting into the habit of dipping them in the park though, which is nice.
  • I would respectfully beg to differ re the bright lights, in some situations....I have these and am not apologetic about them. They are angled appropriately, and work effectively. I have never had any lip from other cyclists, and was stopped only last night by a cabbie who was all 'faark mate what are those, they're faarking great, wish more cyclists could be seen like that'. etc.

I do, however, like to think of myself as a somewhat considerate human being in general which also applies to my cycling style.

To be clear - I wasn't the chap on the Boardman last night! Don't have one of those.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Roastie wrote:

It has been a while, but I don't remember cyclists being this inconsiderate to one another a few years ago when I was regularly commuting in London - is this a recent thing?

Either way, it really irked me.

It's not just on the commute either. I was heading out towards Hampton Court at the weekend. It was raining pretty heavily and I realised 3 guys had latched onto my wheel. I was a little surprised given my lack of mudguards, and thought it a little dangerous given we don't know each other. Anyway nothing to get riled about until they decide they're going to pass me. They do, and then immediately pull in front of me holding exactly the same speed I am. They don't have guards either so now I have either suck up their spray or change my rhythm. Thankfully we went different ways at the bridge, but I found the lack of etiquette pretty f*cking irritating.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    It's not just on the commute either. I was heading out towards Hampton Court at the weekend. It was raining pretty heavily and I realised 3 guys had latched onto my wheel. I was a little surprised given my lack of mudguards, and thought it a little dangerous given we don't know each other. Anyway nothing to get riled about until they decide they're going to pass me. They do, and then immediately pull in front of me holding exactly the same speed I am. They don't have guards either so now I have either suck up their spray or change my rhythm. Thankfully we went different ways at the bridge, but I found the lack of etiquette pretty f*cking irritating.

Equally though they may have overtaken to "take a turn" on the front?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    A couple of issues here then;

Competent wheelsucking - I don't trust anyone I have not ridden with and try to power away from anyone catching a lift.....when I have the energy, otherwise I slow down or hit every puddle that I can - no mudguards.

Lights - Some people do have the brightest lights, they are blinding coming at you and blind if behind you. I have a 400LM front light, but I did it onto the road in front of me. So, don't dazzle, dip your lights.

Wobblers - Had a lovely lady wobbler jump the queue at a set of lights that I was waiting, in line, at. As she got undertaken and overtaken almost immediately by everyone else, who had been patiently waiting, on acceleration from the lights, she got a hale of abuse....except from me.....I gave up giving a sh1t a long time ago.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I had a bloke do that to me the other day. I tried to drop him, but on the flat with a single speed, didn't have the gears to do so, so I just soft pedalled, let him go past and carried on my way. Better that way and have the short term aggravation than letting it eat you up for the rest of your commute.
  • Roastie
    It's not just on the commute either.
    MAMILs? I have noticed a lot of weekend roadies who seem to be utterly clueless of basic ettiquette of the road.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Nah, it has ever been thus. The use of stupidly bright lights is on an inexorable rise, though

The bright light debate is clearly divisive, but I agree with you. I can see why cyclists on rural roads might need the extra power, but in town it's really getting silly. There was a guy at a set of lights opposite me the other day who had a pair of identical white lights - one on his helmet, one on his bars - that fired an insanely powerful pulse every two seconds or so. It actually hurt and had me seeing clouds of colour for quite a while afterwards. Ridiculous!
  • il_principe
    mrc1 wrote:

Equally though they may have overtaken to "take a turn" on the front?

Yeah but anyone with half a brain would know that's hardly a good idea when you don't know the other person and you have no guards either.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Wobblers - Had a lovely lady wobbler jump the queue at a set of lights that I was waiting, in line, at. As she got undertaken and overtaken almost immediately by everyone else, who had been patiently waiting, on acceleration from the lights, she got a hale of abuse....except from me.....I gave up giving a sh1t a long time ago.

Can I add; people who ride past cars to get to the ASL but then stop on the left of the road thus trapping following cyclists from entering the ASL which, in case they hadn't noticed, takes up the width of the carriageway!

I wish cyclists would spread out when entering the ASL as this allows fellow cyclists in and is a more effective way of slowing the acceleration of the cars behind which gives cyclists a chance to clip-in, get their balance and get away safely, which is the whole point of the ASLs, no?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I had a large gentleman wheelsucking alarmingly close the other night on the way home. I slowed right down so he had to pass and then returned the favour and passed again as he tired. Repeated the whole thing and this time he got the idea and we shared duties into the rain and wind for a while. Felt as if I had done my good deed for commuting!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:

Yes it is a bit of a problem riding through hyde park in the evening - there's really no need to have such a bright light in London even in the park, esp pointing straight at the horizon.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've been complaining about all this for years.

I will say this, in London it appears that a lot of road users - motorists, cyclists etc - don't undersand the concept of dipping their lights or simply do not care.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    OP this is clearly an instance where rule 5 should be invoked, if you don't like it just drop him.

As for drafting strangers and vice versa I've never had an issue with it so long as they are prepared to work together and maybe exchange a few friendly words, if not then I will take their scalps.
  • re. the lights. I just don't think they realise how blinding and dangerous they are for other cyclists.

maybe have a quick word/shout the next time it happens to you?

Having said that, its happened a couple of times to me on the CS3 and I've said nothing...
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've been complaining about all this for years.

I will say this, in London it appears that a lot of road users - motorists, cyclists etc - don't undersand the concept of dipping their lights or simply do not care.

What's that? Selfish/inconsiderate people? In London? Probably Dynamos :wink:
  • Roastie
    OP this is clearly an instance where rule 5 should be invoked, if you don't like it just drop him.
    Hey, gimme a break! IIRC, I did a Strava PR up Constitution Hill and my 2nd best time along The Mall - so I was trying! :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Grrr. Drafting Fairies. Bunch of girly wusses.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Yeah but anyone with half a brain would know that's hardly a good idea when you don't know the other person and you have no guards either.

Oops. Half a brain here. I'd have considered this courteous to take my turn. If you've no guards on your bike you're going to get wet anyway? And why do you have to know the person when I always thought the etiquette of riding in a small group was pretty clear:

1) two abreast at most
    2) Form a tight group
    3) Rotate and take turns on the front.
  • il_principe
    Jeepie wrote:

Oops. Half a brain here. I'd have considered this courteous to take my turn. If you've no guards on your bike you're going to get wet anyway? And why do you have to know the person when I always thought the etiquette of riding in a small group was pretty clear:

1) two abreast at most
    2) Form a tight group
    3) Rotate and take turns on the front.

No, I was riding solo. Had no desire to be in a group, didn't ask to have my back wheel latched onto, didn't indicate it was their turn, didn't want or expect to be subsumed by their poxy group. I don't mind getting a wet arse, I object to getting a face full of someone else's road spray because they lack common courtesy. If I want to pass someone and it's wet, I make damn sure that my pass sticks, I don't huff past them doing abut 0.1 mph faster and then promptly sit right in front of them.

The etiquette is to ask the rider you've latched onto if he wants to ride with you, not to make assumptions esp. if you don't have guards either.
  • Ignorant question perhaps, but what exactly constitutes 'wheelsucking'? I sometimes tick in behind someone with about a 2 metres to spare....is that wheelsucking? Like when you're barreling along Embankment from Vauxhall Bridge heading West - there are 2 rows of bikes, slow ones and the 'overtake' lane. I'm usually in the latter, if there's someone whose pace is just so then that's what I do.
  • jonginge
    BigLights wrote:
    Ignorant question perhaps, but what exactly constitutes 'wheelsucking'? I sometimes tick in behind someone with about a 2 metres to spare....is that wheelsucking? Like when you're barreling along Embankment from Vauxhall Bridge heading West - there are 2 rows of bikes, slow ones and the 'overtake' lane. I'm usually in the latter, if there's someone whose pace is just so then that's what I do.
    Some draft much closer than that or even overlap wheels...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    BigLights wrote:
    Ignorant question perhaps, but what exactly constitutes 'wheelsucking'? I sometimes tick in behind someone with about a 2 metres to spare....is that wheelsucking? Like when you're barreling along Embankment from Vauxhall Bridge heading West - there are 2 rows of bikes, slow ones and the 'overtake' lane. I'm usually in the latter, if there's someone whose pace is just so then that's what I do.

I think you just defined it right there. I don't mind it one bit, but then I've yet to be rear-ended by one.
  • Oh. Well, apologies to anyone I've irritated in that case. Never been intentional, always leave what I would be happy with in terms of plenty of room etc. and i'm certainly no closer than most people on bikes. Not like a peloton type thing or when riding out with buddies in Richmond Park, which is a very much tighter affair.
  • jonginge
    BigLights wrote:
    Oh. Well, apologies to anyone I've irritated in that case. Never been intentional, always leave what I would be happy with in terms of plenty of room etc. and i'm certainly no closer than most people on bikes. Not like a peloton type thing or when riding out with buddies in Richmond Park, which is a very much tighter affair.
    TBH it sounds like you're leaving a reasonable amount of room. There's always going to be some congestion away from the lights at VB ;)

I don't mind drafters too much it's just when they're too close (or overlapping wheels) in dark, wet or windy conditions.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    What's a reasonable distance?

2 metres in "good" conditions -- say 1.2 bike lengths?
    4 metres in "average"?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I was going past MI5 the other week when a guy came past with a flashing red light on the back of his helmet that was so bright and at such a height that it almost blinded me, and I iterally struggled to make out any contrast for about 2mins after I re-passed him. Then about a week later the same guy pulls up alongside me outside Parliament and starts giving out to me about how I'm invisible from the back with 'only' my Knog rear and backpack light, then points to his helmet and says I should get one of these bad boys. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's a fine line between being seen and being annoying I know, but surely if you're going to mount a flashing beacon bright enough to land aircraft somewhere on your person, then don't put it right in the middle of the average following cyclist's eye line....
  • il_principe
    davis wrote:
    What's a reasonable distance?

2 metres in "good" conditions -- say 1.2 bike lengths?
    4 metres in "average"?

Depends on your reaction times, brakes, handling ability etc etc. But at speed in London Traffic I'd rather leave as much space as possible.